• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab ruler is reading right to left

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m working on a client supplied document to do edits. The tab ruler is reading from right to left. I think the document was created from a “save as” file in their UAE office using an Arabic language doument. The document is currently in English and will not be converted to any other languages. 

I’ve tried the following: 

• Trashed InDesign preferences first. This didn't do the trick.

• Created a new document, and my tabs ruler is reading from left to right as we do in English. So, I don't think it is a corrupt pref file.

• Checked the single line composer settings to be sure that it isn't world composer.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

There are probably several things to try, but one of the first things I'd check is Character Styles. They carry a language setting, so if there are just a few, you can open each and look (in the Advanced Character Formats section) for R-to-L languages. If there are many, I'd consider, (in a copy of the file), eliminating all the pre-existing Character Styles, replacing them all with [None]. Save As... > Close > Re-open, and check the rulers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

I have some simple scripts that reverse direction. They are usually used to introduce ME RTL direction, but can perhaps be used to solve your problem. Let me know if you can grab them from this Dropbox link. You may want to just grab the .zip file. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzvkg4iv1vsg6tq/AAC_FlxT4qr55lwNrA0QKd5da?dl=0

Basically, you need access to the Paragraph/character, etc direction controls which are not available in the English/Euro version of ID. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

You may download another InDesign version with Arabic support to handle this particular document well. But you will still need to adjust things around.

For instance, if you open the document in question in InDesign with Arabic support, you may highlight the text, Change Paragraph Direction found in Paragraph Panel to get your tabs starts from left-to-right or vise versa.

Paragraph-Direction.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to save document as .idml, open this .idml, save as .indd, open this new .indd?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are probably several things to try, but one of the first things I'd check is Character Styles. They carry a language setting, so if there are just a few, you can open each and look (in the Advanced Character Formats section) for R-to-L languages. If there are many, I'd consider, (in a copy of the file), eliminating all the pre-existing Character Styles, replacing them all with [None]. Save As... > Close > Re-open, and check the rulers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some simple scripts that reverse direction. They are usually used to introduce ME RTL direction, but can perhaps be used to solve your problem. Let me know if you can grab them from this Dropbox link. You may want to just grab the .zip file. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzvkg4iv1vsg6tq/AAC_FlxT4qr55lwNrA0QKd5da?dl=0

Basically, you need access to the Paragraph/character, etc direction controls which are not available in the English/Euro version of ID. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!!! you're a life saver 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarification, are you referring to the ruler for the document page or the ruler in the Tabs panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may download another InDesign version with Arabic support to handle this particular document well. But you will still need to adjust things around.

For instance, if you open the document in question in InDesign with Arabic support, you may highlight the text, Change Paragraph Direction found in Paragraph Panel to get your tabs starts from left-to-right or vise versa.

Paragraph-Direction.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. My paragraph Panel doesn't have buttons you've selected. Is this in the Arabic version and do I have to now use the Arabic version or can I just open the file in the arabic InDesign and resave and open in my normal UK version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines