• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents tab before entry

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my table of contents, I need a tab before and after the "entry" so the sequence is: tab, entry, tab, page nbr. Anybody got a clue how I can do this other than manually? See attached example

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Again: define the style you want to use for the TOC (that is a seperate style than the one you set to be in the TOC, vlick on more options to define which seperate style to use for each TOC entry*) and set the left indent there. With a left indent no need to set a tab.

*Let say you have added the style Header to be in the TOC. You then create a new, seperate style, lets call it HeaderTOC, then in the create Table Of Contents options you set the style HeaderTOC to be used for Header. In the Hea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

I totally agree with @mompcomike.

The left indent couldn't never be the correct answer!

(Or maybe I misunderstood that answer - who knows.)

Yes, I also think that there is no automatic solution with the TOC function in InDesign. But with a few changes afterwards, the desired result is possible (and reproducible).

page7 - page30

IHV_manually_01.png

In normal way created TOC

IHV_manually_02.png

open Grep Find and Replace window

find: ^[^\t]+\t\d+

replace with: \t$0\t

find format: [your "TOC item format"]

IHV_manually_03.png

Replace all.

Do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I don't have a problem with the stuff after the entry. Just the tab before the entry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't add a tab before an entry via the TOC tools - you could put a request here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

That's the best place to make your request.

Although, it is not needed, you can make Paragraph Style for your Table of Contents text, which I always do, a separate individual style for your TOC entries.

You can then set the left indent to your required tab stop. Even include a first line indent so if it flows over 2 lines it still lines up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a left indent in the paragraph style used for the TOC entry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the style set up. Everytime I update the contents, I have to physically add the tab as the first character. I've got that process down to a replace-all end of paragraph mark with an end of paragraph mark tab. Just wanted to know if there is a parameter in the TOC that would automatically do this for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: define the style you want to use for the TOC (that is a seperate style than the one you set to be in the TOC, vlick on more options to define which seperate style to use for each TOC entry*) and set the left indent there. With a left indent no need to set a tab.

*Let say you have added the style Header to be in the TOC. You then create a new, seperate style, lets call it HeaderTOC, then in the create Table Of Contents options you set the style HeaderTOC to be used for Header. In the HeaderTOC style you set the left indent. No tab needed. Be sure to Save your settings in the Create Table of Contents dialog! If you do not save the setting does not get remembered next time you update the TOC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of us doesn't understand..:it could be me. The left indent doesn't apply here because the tab aligns the text to a right alignment tab followed by a left alignment tab as displayed in the attached example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with @mompcomike.

The left indent couldn't never be the correct answer!

(Or maybe I misunderstood that answer - who knows.)

Yes, I also think that there is no automatic solution with the TOC function in InDesign. But with a few changes afterwards, the desired result is possible (and reproducible).

page7 - page30

IHV_manually_01.png

In normal way created TOC

IHV_manually_02.png

open Grep Find and Replace window

find: ^[^\t]+\t\d+

replace with: \t$0\t

find format: [your "TOC item format"]

IHV_manually_03.png

Replace all.

Done. But now the "two lines entries" are not correct.

IHV_manually_04.png

Search the middle space in these line and select.

IHV_manually_05.png

Replace (only) this space with [tab][tab][shift+Enter][tab] 

IHV_manually_06.png

Quick and easy result:

IHV_manually_07.png

One disadvantage: After editing and re-creating the table of contents, the shown changes must be made again.

If that works for you

have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the concept (even through the language barrier). It is kind of like my solution, but I don't know the GRep symbols ^[^\t]+\t\d+. I'll try to figure it out though. Thanks. This is probably the best solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I guess I misunderstood. You need a right align, did not see the screenshot example. Yes you need a right tab there as well. My bad, misunderstood 😞 (Will unmark as correct answer).

Although you can set the Between entry and pg nr. code to be and a tab and a right align tab (^t^y) you can not set a tab before the entry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @mompcomike,

here a short description of the Grep.

--> find format: [your "TOC item format"]

means:

Only search and find in this paragraph (or character) style.

--> find: ^[^\t]+\t\d+

means:

^   = begin of paragraph

[^\t]   = all characters that are not tabs

+   = one or more times

\t   = one tab

\d   = one digit

+   = one or more times

--> replace with: \t$0\t

means:

\t   = tab

$0   = all what you have found in the actually hit

\t   = tab

Hope that helps a little.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines