• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thai language export to PDF vs Print to PS (Destiller)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your support regarding some Thai language artworks. 
When I export the PDF some of the characters are not being correctly embbeded which cause a good few readablities issues on my proofreader app. However, when I print it to PS and then run it through destiller most of the issues get sorted out by itself. 

Can you please advise if there is any updates or scripts which can fix the export function on InDesign?

Thanks a lot for your time and support!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Eric32849509fs0j , Does it happen if you set Export>Advanced>Fonts>Subset fonts... to 0%?

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob for your quick reponse and advise. 
Unfortunately, it still gives me the same result. I have attached the InDesign test file for reference. 
I am currently using the font Tahoma, but even if I change it to Adobe Thai sill have the same issue 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which cause a good few readablities issues on my proofreader app.

Could it be a problem with the proofing app? I exported a PDF/X-4 of your test and don’t see any text changes. If you open your PDF in AcrobatPro is the text reflowing there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the Indesign document, exported PDF with subsetting, exported PDF without subsetting, and wrote postscript & distilled.

Font info from Acrobat shows CID encoding for Tahoma & Tahoma-Bold on the distilled PDF. Where the exported PDFs show only Tahoma as CID encoded.

Perhaps your "proofreader app" prefers CID encoded fonts, as opposed to ANSI encoding that the exported PDF is producing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rob and Jeffrey for your responses! 
It might be an error in the proofreading app. I checked with their support previously, and they advised me to run it through Distiller. The funny thing is, it only happens with Thai text. I don't really want to use Distiller every time as it seems like an unnecessary extra step. What I found on other forums is that a similar error started to happen from InDesign 2019 onwards. Unfortunately, I don't have previous versions to test it. I will double-check with support if it is somehow related to ANSI encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines