Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC in several text boxes?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear all!

Once again after a LONG time, I am attempting to create a table of contents for a book document we're working on. I would like to incorporate a proper TOC, using the TOC palette, as well as all the necessary styles, but as you can see in the layout, I am not using a single text frame in my layouted TOC, but several, spread across the page. Is it even possible to create a TOC which would run across several text boxes? the text marked in red below the page numbers should be added as well. 

Shall I just do this manually, or do any of you have an idea as to how to go about it, using the TOC tools in InDesign?

Thanks so much in advance!

Regards,

Marie-Claire 🙂  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Yes, I routinely run my TOC through threaded frames.

Be sure that the chapter number, the title and description are at the beginning of each chapter, each with their own paragraph style. I would also tag an empy ¶ as a title for the two places where you want a title but not chapter number. The TOC dialog box allows you to map the styles from the body of the document to TOC-specific styles. Be sure that that TOC chapter numbers have a frame break in the style so that each one moves to the top o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I routinely run my TOC through threaded frames.

Be sure that the chapter number, the title and description are at the beginning of each chapter, each with their own paragraph style. I would also tag an empy ¶ as a title for the two places where you want a title but not chapter number. The TOC dialog box allows you to map the styles from the body of the document to TOC-specific styles. Be sure that that TOC chapter numbers have a frame break in the style so that each one moves to the top of the next frame. 

And then I would simply generate the TOC and draw the first frame and adjust it. And then reload the cursor and begin to place the rest of the frames as you see in my screenshot below:

TOC.PNG

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my goodness Barb, thank you SO MUCH! I had also thought about connecting the text frames, but was not sure if it would work with the TOC content ... I am at it trying it out as you have described! Thanks SO MUCH for your time and effort! 🙂 You're a star! 

Marie-Claire ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines