• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two language document with separate lines which wrap independently

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a document with and English translation of a Latin text, but I want the English translation to be below the Latin text and I would like to have the two lines wrap independently of each other.  My goal is to have something like the image below. Perhaps this is easy to do but I am not very experienced in InDesign so my apologies. Thank you for your time.

Sam5C1F_0-1611356676116.png

Thanks very much,
Sam

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting challenge.

If I understand what you want to do, i.e., have the Latin wrap independently of the English, and vice versa with the English, one way to do it would be as follows (look at all the Latin in that sentence! 😊 )

1. Create a text frame for the Latin. Give it plenty of leading, so there's room for the English in between the lines.

2. Create a second text frame for the English. Good to put it on a separate layer. Then set the English with leading so the Latin will fit between. 

3. Offset the two frames so it appears as your example.

This will allow each language to wrap independently of the other. But if they wrap independently, they may no longer match up with each other, it seems to me.  Is this what you're trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you very much.  This was very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a table structure of course [one table per two para lines]!

The right question: how many time will you need to play the game?

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could also set and thread alternate text frames for Latin and English on the adjacent master pages.
Just as an example in my screenshot I colored the alternates text frames in green and red colour.
In 5 minutes you could set these text frames and then with a couple of clicks you could insert hundreds of pages of Latin text and with another couple of clicks hundreds of pages of English text

Screenshot (28).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The true matter is how to align text and its translation!  ðŸ˜‰

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reply, this was helpful also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines