• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type 1 font activation notice

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for making PSType 1 fonts go away. There are some of us who can't afford to buy all new fonts, nor are there any guaranteed ways that if we convert the fonts to some other format that we won't have to reproof all the documents we've been using for years. I smell class action lawsuit once some huge press runs get messed up because of this.

You can make neural filters in PS but you won't support type 1 fonts?

Thanks for making things difficult for your customers who PAY YOU MONTHLY because that's what you forced us into and now you'll be making it so we can't use fonts we own. Great customer service, NOT!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Both Apple and Microsoft have or are in the process of discontinuing support for Type 1 fonts. OpenType has been around for more than 20 years and thousands of OpenType fonts are included with Creative Cloud subscription.

Time marches on. You've got two years to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Like @BobLevine said, 2 years. Tick Tock.

Ditch the PS  T1 fonts.

PS Type1 font technology, developed in 1985, is a 35 year old technology that's been superceded by a more complete, superior font technology, OpenType (Unicode). PS T1 can only be used for print, not for any of our other publishing technologies like HTML, EPUB, and accessible PDFs.

Not only does time march on, so does technology. I retired my extensive PS T1 library in the early 2000s and never regretted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Apple and Microsoft have or are in the process of discontinuing support for Type 1 fonts. OpenType has been around for more than 20 years and thousands of OpenType fonts are included with Creative Cloud subscription.

Time marches on. You've got two years to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @BobLevine said, 2 years. Tick Tock.

Ditch the PS  T1 fonts.

PS Type1 font technology, developed in 1985, is a 35 year old technology that's been superceded by a more complete, superior font technology, OpenType (Unicode). PS T1 can only be used for print, not for any of our other publishing technologies like HTML, EPUB, and accessible PDFs.

Not only does time march on, so does technology. I retired my extensive PS T1 library in the early 2000s and never regretted it.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only using Open Type font, and yet I'm getting the Type 1 font message when I open certain InDesign files. When I check the font in question, it's actually Open Type. Any ideas why I'm getting the error message? Just want to make sure when 2023 rolls around that Adobe doesn't turf a bunch of Open Type it has mistakenly flagged as Type 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Do you have any graphics with embedded fonts used in that document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might look at Font Lab’s TransType 4. It converts the T1 font using the same glyph metrics and keeps the version number. InDesign sees the fonts I’ve converted to OTF as unchanged—no need to find and replace missing fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are type 1 fonts ending for Photoshop in 2021 but the other Adobe programs not until 2023?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each team makes its own schedule. The fact is that Type 1 support is disappearing all over. If you have a Photoshop issue, bring it up in the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why are type 1 fonts ending for Photoshop in 2021 but the other Adobe programs not until 2023?"

Workaround until you solved the issue with your Type-1 font library:

Use PhotoShop 2020 for the time being.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm only using Open Type font, and yet I'm getting the Type 1 font message when I open certain InDesign files. When I check the font in question, it's actually Open Type. Any ideas why I'm getting the error message?"

Hi McMc,

share the InDesign document so we can have a look.

Put it on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines