• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create new file on InDesign 2021

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 update...Having trouble opening a new document? I can enter my preferences i.e. dimensions, margins etc, but when I press 'create'... Nothing?!

Any suggestions? I've shut down, I've re-installed, with NO luck?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

I just got this problem tonight and changed to the legacy New Document setting.  That worked to create the document that I needed, but as a note for everyone (not sure if this will work for Windows) on a Mac, I tried switching back, and I can again create documents from the updated dialog window now. Seems there may possibly be something that gets fixed when changing to legacy that then remains fixed if you switch back. At least, it did for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if resetting InDesign preferences as suggested above worked for you? If not, please try these steps an let us know how it goes:

1. Rename CEP folder from

• MAC: /Library/application/support/Adobe
  • Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP

2.  If that doesn't help, rename the extensions folder to extensions_old from

• MAC:  /Library/Application Support/Adobe/UXP
  • Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP

3. If that doesn't help either, reinstall the application.

Kindly update the discussion if this helps or if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Srishti Bali and @JML Creative ,

Thanks for the suggestions Barb and Shrishti... but nothing really works.

It looks like, if you go to Preferences > General, and you check the box 'Use legacy "New Document" Dialog, the problem disappears.

So there seems to be a bug in the new create "New Document" method.

Hope this helps for you @JML Creative.

Kind regards,

Sander Heijndijk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked for me also Sander. The other idea of renaming folders didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 months after this comment.  Suddenly stoped working for me also the "Create New Document" Had to go Preferences >  General >  Check the "Use Legacy New Document Dialog" and seems to work fine. It seems I will need to install a new version of the app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT WORKS!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb's method worked for me, but it deleted all of my preferences and templates. 😞 I didn't realize rebuilding/resetting would delete everything. Oh well, at least it works now.

Thank you Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Srishti. It has worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get through the Rebuilding Preferences post? There are various levels to work through. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-resetting-preferences-and-deleting-the-cache/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

I've tried everything, except the last step: 'Rebuilding the cache files'.

Creating a new file works fine when doing a fresh install of Indesign.

However, if you adapt the preferences to your liking (same as in previous version of Indesign), than it doesn't work anymore.

I haven't investigated yet which step of adaption is causing the 'create new document' to fail... I also have to finish my projects, you see.
When I find some more time to look into it, I'll report back.
But this is a good workaround for now.

Kind regards,

Sander Heijndijk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that you have found the way around. In your free time, please try resetting preferences by following these steps and let us know how it goes. 

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

This will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. All your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. Suggested reset didn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid having to lose your program customizations every time that you have to trash preferences make a copy of your preference file right after you have finished setting up the program the way you like (make sure you quit the program after you've finished customizing to "lock it all in"). Then keep that copy someplace on the computer for future use. If you need to once again trash preferences take a copy of your saved "prisitine" preference folder (make sure that InDesign is not running) and simply replace the corrupted one with the copy of the good one. Then relaunch InDesign.

The Preference folder that you should make a copy of can be found at:

Macintosh: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find and make a copy of the folder called “Adobe InDesign".

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then make a copy of the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

With the 16.01 update nothing really changed.

Only the default document and the presets will be created, but no custom dimensions.

Back to using the Legacy New Document' Dialog again.

Please resolve this Adobe!

Kind regards, Sander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I haven't updated yet but was just wondering if this might resolve the issue. Will stick to legacy for the moment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me since I downloaded 2021. It's happening to two of my co-workers too. I have to open an old document and use the page tool bc I can't create any new documents. But after a few trys that stops working too. One of my co-workers just deleted 2021 and reinstalled 2020.

Has this been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't create a new doc if I am on the 'Recent' window, but if I select 'Print' or 'Web' and create a doc it works. A few bugs in these latest updates... It's beyond annoying!

I rang Adobe and had them rebuild preferences etc (what was mentioned above), but it still didn't fix the problem of trying to open or create a new doc from the 'Recent' panel!

Give Adobe a buzz... I sure know we pay enough money monthly, not to have to fix something ourselves haha!

Josh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I suddenly have this problem now and had to create documents from duplicating existing ones. I don't want to have to delete my preferences all the time! I hope Adobe take note and sort this issue out quickly as this is a real pain to my busy workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS ?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Describe your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry, I had put it down to just being another instance of the above problem and therefore soley down to InDesign version 16.0
If it is does matter with my specific setup then I am on:
Mac Os 10.14.6
MacBook Pro late 2018
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
500gb SSD drive (about 90% used!)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I reset the options some of the record paintings, but while final the record - no longer quiting the app - and reopens the trouble begin all over again. If I reset the possibilities and restart the app it also starts offevolved over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too with 2021. I can't create a new file, that is, I can see the filename in the /menu/window. But it won't appear. The same for opening a file. I can see the name but not the file.

What is happening?

===

Macbook Pro 2019 16 inch

16GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JML Creative

I hope you are doing well,
I was facing the same problem but I do some simple steps and get through it.
Open your InDesign, and than presss Ctrl.+K  to open the preferences
in General you will see the option (Use legacy "New Document" Dialog), Just check this option and click ok.
and than try to creat new document.
I hope it will work for you aswell.
Regards

Irfan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines