• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import text into InDesign

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with importing texts into InDesing.
When selecting the PLACE command and clicking in the space where it will be applied, the fonts change to a superscript and samallcaps configuration, and do not continue with the Time New Roman of the original text.
Will it be a configuration problem?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide more information so we can help you:  What is the source format of the text (text only, Word document, RTF, etc?) and what application produced it? Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Does this just happen in when placing in one particular file, or does it also happen if you place into a new InDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source format an aplplication: Word

Operating system: Mac OS 12.6.3

In Desing 18.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is only with this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open it in Word and re-save it to a new file as DOCX. Then place it into a new InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have a paragraph or character style already selected before placing the text. Make sure both are set to none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Basic Paragraph] (for the Paragraph style) and [None] (for the Character style) to be precise;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and you may want to clear any such preset so it doesn't cause further odd problems. With absolutely no element selected, set the Paragraph and Character styles. Those will be the new defaults for all new elements.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I checked it out but is not the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your import settings? Keep or remove formatting? (Check the 'import options' when using Place).

And: is [Basic Paragraph] (for the Paragraph style) and [None] (for the Character style) set in case of 'remove formatting' on Place?

If you do not know what this all means, may I suggest you get some basic training in InDesign first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what this means and this is not the problem but there's a yellow triangle showing that something is wrong  as you will see in the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means what it says. You have identically named styles in the Word and InDesign files so you have to tell InDesign what to do with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I did this. I checked the paragraph and caracther styles out. Choose the option to keep the original style in the import options and even change the font in the original document but it did not work. The InDesign still changes to a superscript and samallcaps style tha I have to chang using the tool panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do these styles already exist in InDesign? Have you tried creating a new InDesign file and placing the Word file there? One more question...is this a real Word file created and saved in Word or was it exported out of Google Docs, Pages or some other 3rd party application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was download from a plataform of academic texts. Another fellow told me that the problem may happen beccause I am using Safari as navigator but I tried to download with Google Chrome and the problem is still there.

It does not happen with other texts. So, I think that is something with the Word original file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before placing the text, go to both the character and paragraph styles and check that they are not on a style you don't want to be applied. Placed text will have styles applied automatically. You can tell which style will be applied to any placed text because it will be highlighted when nothing is selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all this and it is not the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Marco Antonio Sá,

Thank you for trying all the steps suggested by our experts. Would you mind telling us if it's happening with the latest version of InDesign 18.2? Is it happening with all documents or with a specific document?

Please also share the screen recording of the workflow, which might help us better understand. 

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines