• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to launch InDesign CS6 on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been having problems opening Indesign CS6 recently -- opening and after a few seconds it closed itself but usually usuable after a couple of tries ...but just a few days ago it just died and could not be started at all. How can i solve the problem? My mac don't have a cd driver from which i could have use the cd to reinstall the program.

KT

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Hi there, 

As everyone else on this thread mentioned, CS6 is definitely not compatible with anything beyond MAC v10.9 (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements-old-versions.html ).

Please refer to this similar discussion for more details: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/warning-indesign-cs6-and-earlier-are-incompatible-with-macos-catalina/td-p/10497206?page=1 

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions. 

Regards, 

Srishti 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your very old version of InDesign may not be compatible with the recent versions of the Mac OS, which do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your problem is just needing to be able to reinstall using your old disks (assuming that you are on an old mac with a version of the OS that is compatible with CS6 and that you have your original serial number) then you might want to invest in an external CD/DVD drive. These drives have simple plug and play USB connection so they are ready to go once attached to your computer. They range in price on Amazon, for instance, from around $20 to around $50.

You should know, however, that if you have any Mac OS later than Yosemite (OSX 10.10) that CS6 is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

As everyone else on this thread mentioned, CS6 is definitely not compatible with anything beyond MAC v10.9 (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements-old-versions.html ).

Please refer to this similar discussion for more details: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/warning-indesign-cs6-and-earlier-are-incompatible-with-macos... 

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions. 

Regards, 

Srishti 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for the replies. Indeed on checking, my mac OS is High Sierra 10:13.6 which has been loaded more than a year ago and only has this problem recently.

Without having to invest in a newer version of indesign, would reinstalling the CS6 be a practical solution? Are there any patches that we can use to buy more time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go ahead and try.

CS6 is nine years old and there have actually more versions of InDesign released after it than there were before it.

You are, unfortunately, on your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my mac OS is High Sierra 10:13.6 which has been loaded more than a year ago and only has this problem recently.

Have you tried trashing your preferences and caches? 

Also, if you have not done it already you should install the legacy 6.0 Java. You can download the installer from Apple’s site:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Do I trash the preference and caches before installing the Java? How can I trash them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn’t matter.

For Preferences delete or move this folder on to your desktop and restart InDesign:

⁨user/Library/⁨Preferences/⁨Adobe InDesign/Version 8.0⁩

For Caches trash this folder:

⁨user/Library/⁨Caches/⁨Adobe InDesign/Version 8.0⁩

By default the user/Library folder is hidden on OSX. If you have left it hidden hold down the Option key and choose Library from the Finder’s Go menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, with Java 6 running I can open CS6 on Mojave 10.14.6, but as others have noted CS6 is a 32-bit app and will definately not run on Catalina or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can i find this preference and caches? will this action of trashing the preference affect my other programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reset the InDesign preferences with the following, it won't affect your other applications but it won't help if your version of InDesign is incompatible with your OS.

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see you are refering to the prefernce within Indesign....but i am unable to even launch the Indesign now! Guess i have to reinstall it first before installing the java 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t have to launch InDesign to delete the Preferences folder, you can do it from the Finder. Reinstalling might not help because the old preference file would still be there. If the Java 6.0 install doesn’t work this is the preference folder to delete or move:

Screen Shot 23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am i right to understand that installing the legacy 6.0 java will enable me to open Indesign CS6, but will this affect my other programs like Fiery digital print program which is more up to date? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No idea, check with EFI. I have CS6 for testing on Mojave, but I use the latest CC apps. There could be security concerns with running Java 6 on OSX, but I haven’t seen it interfere with other apps. The first step would be to trash your prefs, and pull any third party plugins from the InDesign application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines