Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open files with extension indd.icloud in InDesign on macOS

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I really need help as I can't open my important InDesign file anymore. I tried it from the InDesign software and I tried from my Documents in Finder. The only strange this is that the document is named: ....indd.icloud and I don't understand why. But some of my documents have that and all of them won't open anymore. So for example name.indd works but name.indd.icloud doesn't work. But I can't change the name and I also don't know if that's really the problem. I added some screenshots but they are in dutch. Translation is something like:

Can't open the file. The file format may not be supported by Adobe Indesign, a plug-in for support is missing or the file is already opened in another application.

Can somebody help?

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 11.54.59.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 11.27.59.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 11.27.45.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 12.34.48.png

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheida,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of InDesign and the macOS.
  2. Where are these files saved which you are trying to open? Are they saved locally or on cloud storage or network drive?
  3. Is this happening with all the files or only with the files ending with .indd.icloud?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I use the 14.0.3 version of InDesign and the MacOS 10.12.6.

The file I'm trying to open is on my desktop, so on the laptop not on any cloud. 

All the files that have .indd.icloud don't open anymore.

I don't know why some of them are named with icloud, because I didn't save them there (at least as far as I know an can find now) It's not in my ICloud Drive anywhere. 

Do you know any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why don't you remove .icloud from the file name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in this screenshot the file doesn't have .icloud in the name in the folder. So only if I click on it, then you see .icloud. So it is with .icloud once I click on it, but not as you see it here.

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 12.34.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weird thing is that this file should have an InDesign icon. Where does this file come from? Did you download it from yoy icloud account? Was it created and saved on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know and it's even weirder that when I made a copy, now it has a InDesign icon. But this one gives the same error message and doesn't open.

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-14 om 14.02.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes created and saved to my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it be possible for you to share one of the files with us if it is not confidential? If yes, I am sending you a DM, please add the file in cloud storage and share the link there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am unable to open any .indd.iclous files...

In additon, when I download the files from my drive, the document attempts to open in Terminal..

Thank you!

Emily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily,

Sorry for the delay in response. As suggested by Grant, these files can't be opened, you will need to download the original file to your computer. Please try the steps suggested by Grant and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

te .icloud at the end is a "placeholder" file and you cant open that. Either your folder is being synced or scanned by icloud at the time. Ive had this once or twice and got a huge scare.

Change your icloud pref's or just wait a bit.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi G,

How should I change the iCloud prefs? Because I've been waiting for more then a week now, trying and trying to open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sheidaa32856975 & emilys93223080 - did you have any luck - were you able to open the documents or convert them somehow? Got - of course - the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to uncheck the "optimize mac storage" option in icloud prefs. icloud will download the actual files back into the sync folder and delete the .icloud files.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant, thanks so much for reaching back out. Unfortunately the document seems lost then I guess? 

Here's what happend: Run out of iCloud Storage - moved files directly over to Google Drive. Once moved over, (permanently) deleted on iCloud. Tried to open in Google, did not work as had .icloud extension. Tried to move back. Remove extension, called apple...did all not help, document seems lost forever (and I always thought once you out something in the cloud it's there forever...) 

Well, I still have the pdf document that i've created: is there a way to import to indesign in a way I can edit it (so far I could only import the entire pdf more like a photo without backgroind..) but not editable. 

Any other options someone might think of? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no Johan,

thats not good news for you. If you permanantly deleted the file and you dont do back ups (?) thats a real problem.

There is a plugin called PDF2ID that may be able to help you convert the PDF into an ID file (its NOT perfect but helpful)

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johanna, Sheida, here some untried ideas:

See whether the files eventually show in Time Machine of your iCloud directory.

Ask Apple support to restore those "accidental" deletions from a backup their side.

Make sure you explain the circumstances, e.g. their "seemless" storage optimizations (swapping out files away from your Mac) that you did not ask for and were not aware of, causing data loss (you taking the placeholder stub for the real thing).

Eventually check the legal situation.

Edit: thx Grant, fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk, not me with the problem bud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dirk! Already tried the time machine - no luck. But I will maybe see the legal side of the data loss...good idea! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank so much Grant!

This worked like magic in my case. The file which was otherwise lost in the transition between my hard drive and icloud was finally recovered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happned to me too! Only my files are saved in one drive so I can easily work in office and from home. My issue is I have a PC at work and a Mac at home. Is there a way to convert so I can open from work my work PC without being able to change my preferences on my mac, since it's at home and I'm not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue -- I saved the file on Dropbox and it somehow changed to indd.icloud file and I cannot open it even if I change the file name..

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 11.52.03 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there, sorry but there's no way out...the problem is that when you
dragged the files to dropbox from your computer it was actually offloaded
to your icloud so it doesnt take too much space on your computer. Before
dragging it to another cloud service you need to download the files (double
click on the file on your computer is probably enough), and then you can
transfer the file. If not you just have the temporary file name without any
content...so the content will be probably lost forever....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - here is what's happening:

1. You have enabled a feature on your Mac called "Optimise Mac Storage". When this feature is enabled your Mac will remove old/large files from your computer to free up space (or when space is needed) and store them on your iCloud account.

2. How this is achieved is that the original file is uploaded to iCloud and the original is quietly replaced with a "ghost" version with ".cloud". This ghost version simply instructs your computer to download the file when it is needed.

3. When you click on this file in the Finder (or open it in an application which is aware of this feature) - macOS will then download the file back to your computer.

4. Adobe's support of this feature is non-existent. So you will often find that some of your projects are broken, missing files or renamed with the ".icloud" extension.

There are two work-arounds:

1. Either disable the "Optimise Mac Storage" feature - your computer will then re-download all of the original files that were stored on your iCloud account, but note: your computer may not have sufficient capacity for all of your files. Which is why your computer offloaded them into  iCloud in the first place. Even on a fast connection this may take a very long time to complete.

2. Or you can re-download just this file manually: Visit the folder which contained the file (it should still look like the normal filename there) - then simply double-click it, your mac will redownload the original and the application will open as soon as the file is downloaded (depending on the Finder's view settings - you may see a small progress bar as the file downloads back to your computer.) As above, just downloading this file may take several minutes to download (based on your internet speed and how large the file is.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines