• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save InDesign document. Error: InDesign is unable to save this file.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've installed the latest update of Indesign 2020. I'm now experiencing problems in that if I open a converted version of an Indesign docment, make changes then try to save, it says "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig. 1). I have tried to save a copy of my document and it says the same thing. I have even tried to create a new document in Indesign 2020, save it as a test before putting anything in it and again the same message, "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig 2).  Is it a bug in the new Indesign update? Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019? Could someone please help me?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Hi Georgie,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If it is happening with multiple

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to InD 2019 as 2020 is very slow for me and others. 

Maybe safer to roll back to 2019 if you're having issues.

Make sure to log your bugs so they can be addressed in future fixes. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019?

Try it, if not helps then contact Adobe support

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by a "converted" document? If you are opening a document from an earlier version of InDesign then it would simply open and would upon saving become a 2020 document. It doesn't become 2020 until it is saved. Is this happening with more than one document? Have you tried exporting the document as an IDML and then reopening the IDML in your version of CC 2020? This can clear up some forms of corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Georgie,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If it is happening with multiple files, try resetting preferences for InDesign by following these steps and share your observations:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently having this issue as well - cannot save newly created nor previously created files. Everything comes up with a "InDesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged" message. I've tried doing these steps, restarting my computer, installing older version of INDD and absolutely nothing is working. I have freelance projects that function in InDesign so this is critical.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I can't save anything from Photoshop either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashrmey,

I've found that the problem is fixed when Indesign 2021 is installed. Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Georgie_67

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat and InDesign will not quit to close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens entirely too often for what amounts to about $20,000 software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the almost 6 month delay in replying. Thankyou everyone for the suggestions. I have found that the problem is fixed with the installation of the Indesign 2021. Thank you again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues since installign 2021 InDesign. File won't save and give the appears to be damaged error... but then the file name shows up in the desintation but it is locked and won't open and also cannot be deleted because I do not have permission or it is open by another user--but no one else is using it. Happens with anything that save as new--either by doing "save as" using an old file with a new name. Or starting from scratch with file new and naming it. And only happens on network. It is fine when I save to my desk top. My work around has been saving to the desk top then copying to the network--file is fine then and can be opened and saved no problem. Seems to be only happening when the file name changes either with save as, or naming the new file for the first time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I cannot find the file names to change as suggested.... even did a search and it is not on my machine anywhere. 

• Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also newly having this issue (as in, just the last week or so) and I'm running Adobe 2021 on Catalina. First I can't save over jpgs or png files in Photoshop anymore without it putting copy on the end, now I CAN'T SAVE INDESIGN FILES.

Ok, that last part is a bit dramatic because... they actually do save. Or at least so far they have. Even though the error comes up, I hit ok, then close it and when it asks if I want to save it, I hit Don't Save, because hitting save just gives you the same error. When I reopen the file, my changes are there. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. Who knows how long that little bug within a bug will actually last.

Adobe, for the love of all that is holy, get your act together. You charge enough money, should these problems not span YEARS or crop up for new users. Maybe? Yeah? You're making me regret my decision to become anything graphics related, and I'm too old to do anything else now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue in Indesign 2021 (ver 16.1). Also had it in the last version of 2021, which must have been 16.0. If I open certain indesign files (but not all) created by a previous Indesign version, and try to "Save as" I get the unable to save, must be damaged error. A file does appear in the location I chose, but it does not work. If I then try to do the exact same thing, "Save as" in the same location with the same filename as before, it will ask if I want to replace the useless file it created, I hit yes, and then it saves fine and the file works fine.

It is incredibly frustrating to have to save files two times just to save a new version. I cannot figure out why this only happens to certain files. I'd guess it's around 40% of the time that I encounter this issue.

I don't have any other Indesign versions installed. I already tried renaming my preferences folders in both Local and Roaming so that Indesign opens with clean default settings, and that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with ALL my installed Adobe apps. All that's happened is I got a new Mac, restored a backup from my Timemachine, and now, nothing will save to the HD from any of them. I got all sorts of errors, ranging from ID -5000 to Unable to save as this file appears to be damaged, even when it's a completely new save. 

HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting this just in case it may help others. 

The problem we had here was people saving their network account passwords on their local machine. This would be fine if you weren't forced to change passwords every so often, which our workplace does. Once the saved (keychain access) password was deleted & I reconnected to the network share this problem went away.

If you're not dealing with network access, you might be dealing with folder/user permission issues that need to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue with InDesign 16.4 and macOS Catalina.

Reverting back to InDesign 16.3.2 seems to be OK (for now). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing helps. Indesign 17.01. Preferences reset, copying stuff to new file. Installing older version. Reinstalling.
When I save I get this error. Wierdly enough Indesign can save on the background. So if I work without saving I get latest autosave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask Adobe support chat about it directly. If they helps then don't forget to write here about.

Adobe Support Chat.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed InDesign 2022 last week hoping to resolve this issue and that has not worked for me. I cannot even save a new blank document. WTH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @George21908114zny8 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of InDesign & OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. Are you saving the file locally or on any network folder? Have you tried changing the location?
  4. Are you getting the same error as mentioned in this post or a different one?

We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been having similar issues for the last few major releases of InDeisgn.  We have a 3-person department that saves to a network share.  All are on Mac.  We have files that we have used for years, as well as new files, that we are inexplicably unable to save, and get an error message that the file cannot be saved.  In Finder, the file shows as having a size of zero bytes.  If we have closed the file already, it cannot be reopened and it's as if it is basically gone.

We can "workaround" by trying to make sure we catch the error before saving, and doing SAVE AS with a new file name.  Unfortunately, we are finding that doing this once is not even enough anymore...so we are getting multiple differently names files for what should be just one.  It's a logistical nightmare, and unacceptable for a product that is this expensive and intended for more than just a single person design shop.

This thread seems to describe our issue well.  Unfortunately I have tried to repair file and folder permissions on the network share and it has not fixed anything.  It does seem like it could be read/write permissions related...but beyond what I have done I have no idea how to fix it.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/file-save-issues-on-network-using-indesign-2020/...

All I know is that this has taken what was (in the 2019 version) a highly streamlined, efficient workflow and turned it into something that we now need to presume will add an unpredictable amount of additional time for each and every task we need to complete.  Combine this with the incessant problem of us having to manually find/replace "missing" fonts on thousands of files because Adobe changed the font file type for this font in the Adobe Fonts service, it's enough to make this 20 year veteran in the field consider bagging groceries instead.  

Paper or plastic, Adobe?

Thanks, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow up--it appears when we get the "cannot save file is damaged error" that we can successfully save the file by attempting to save it a second time.  We're still testing to see if this consistently works, but if anyone else is running into this probem this workaround is worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution that worked for you. I am sure it will help other community members. In addition to this, saving the file as IDML might help as well. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines