• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to transform proportionally in InDesign 2020 on macOS Catalina 10.15

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my MAC to Catalina 10.15 and then updated my InDesign to 2020.

Now I cannot proportionally transform images/objects within a frame. Holding shift does not work (nor does NOT holding shift.)

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

If you want to resize an object and its frame, you want to select the Cmd+Shift keys to size them proportionately. Additionally, you may find it easier to place your cursor at one of the corner anchor points of the frame, hold down the Cmd+Shift keys first then hold down the mouse button and drag to size the frame and enclosed graphic proportionately.

Holding down just the Shift key and dragging will size only the frame proportionately, not the contents.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign while transforming proportionally. Could you please try resetting the Preferences for InDesign by following the steps below:

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Let us know if this works or if you need any further help.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, Rishabh.

Looks like I needed one more OS update to Catalina, and that seems to have done the trick. Adobe apps seem to be working much better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am having the same problem and the file you mentioned in the /preference folder does not exist on my coputer. Dou yo have any solutions for this problem? This issue has SIGNIFICATLY hinders my ability to work with my adobe products. Thanks!

Jillian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my Macbook Pro OS to Catalina 10.15.7 and adobe InDesign to 2020 (15.1.2).  I am experiancing the same issue with the Cmd+Shift keys not working to size proportionately and I also can't move an object easily across horizontal or vertical axes by holding Shift.

I tried resetting the preferences as you mentioned and this did not work. Please advise, this is causing an issue with work efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to resize an object and its frame, you want to select the Cmd+Shift keys to size them proportionately. Additionally, you may find it easier to place your cursor at one of the corner anchor points of the frame, hold down the Cmd+Shift keys first then hold down the mouse button and drag to size the frame and enclosed graphic proportionately.

Holding down just the Shift key and dragging will size only the frame proportionately, not the contents.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.5 and Adobe Indesign 2020, holding shift doesnt work, NOR holding CMD+Shift or Option+shift or Option...it's as if the shift button key shortcut stopped working. I also can't move an object easily across horizontal or vertical axes by holding Shift while I move it either!

I cannot reset preferences uding your steps bc I do not see any such filenames in my ~Library/Caches folder and in my ~Library/Preferences folder i see 2 files which are similar: 

com.adobe.InDesign.7.5.3.plist and 

com.adobe.InDesign.7.5.plist

So I dont know which one to rename.

I have also noticed that when I close all documents and then open a new one, the Options menu panel at the bottom disappears and I have to restart InDesign to have it appear again. There are definitely some bugs ebtween the new Adobe and Catalina that must be worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me since my last In Design Update 15,1,1... I can't resolve it... Do you know how I can just recover this essentials function ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me since my last In Design Update 15,1,1... I can't resolve it... Do you know how I can just recover this essentials function ? Problem: "holding shift doesnt work, NOR holding CMD+Shift or Option+shift or Option...it's as if the shift button key shortcut stopped working. I also can't move an object easily across horizontal or vertical axes by holding Shift while I move it either"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just past 1,5 hour in a "adobe remote" with an Adobe Expert to resolve the bug and the team have no solutions for now... I wish some solutions in the next week... If some people have question, here's the number of the case : Case number ADB-13937799-T1J5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Tried ALL of the recommendations here. No combination of keys allows me to constrain transform. Adobe - PLEASE FIX. It's taking 5x longer to get anything done. Clients don't care if it's software related. This should never have made it out to the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this set of issues since upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5. (iMac Retina 5K, 27" 2017)

My ITS dept has no clue and I am struggling to do my work manually instead of being able to use the shortcut keys.

Sometimes if I change the workspace setting - I get a short-term return of the functions but they stop after a few minutes.

Not sure if there is a fix for this or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Catalina to 10.15.6 and I seem to have restored the shortcut funtions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Catalina 10.15.7 and I'm still having the issue. So shortcut functions still seem to be an issue. Anyone have a fix yet that actually works? Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I can't guarentee this will work for you, but this is what I tried and it worked. First I tried resetting the Preferences as suggested for InDesign by following the steps below:

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

This alone did not work. Then I read that something in a blog that Microsoft causes an issue. So I quit all Microsoft apps running. Outlook, Excel etc.. then did a resart. After I did this, everything started working again.

Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEY! your comment about Microsoft causing the issue is SPOT-ON! i just quit Powerpoint and suddenly the funcionality returned to normal in inDesign, didn't even have to restart.

They needs to fix this - it wasn't a problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

urgh spoke too soon. does not work with scaling image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Cmd+Shft not working to scale items. This happened immediately after I updated to the latest version of Catalina and also updated my Create Cloud Apps to the latest versions. I've tried the suggestions in this thread, and nothing is working! Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mee too!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - I'm trying to put togethr a MASSIVE catalogue and it is taking forever to transform images using percentages. Its guess work and making my life really tedious! Hurry up Adobe - sort this out!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! InDesign 16.1 Please help Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot keep proportion when resizing the object inside the frame. Tried all the combinations I've learned from the last 15 years. Impossible. Activated the proportional link to force keep proportion but did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I cannot proportionally scale my images in InDesign 2022 using Command+Shift. I have no other app open but Safari. OS 10.15.7. My inDesign is updated to latest version. Please help, I cannot work this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you also have the new keyboard (without batteries)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines