• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unlink a text file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2009 Oct 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though InDesign Help claims their is an "unlink" option in the drop down menu of the links panel, it seems at least that my version of InDesign 6.0.4 does not have that feature.  I am aware of the option in preferences to not allow text files to be linked, but this is a furnished file that has missing links for text files, which we do not want to update.

Does anyone know how to activate this rumored unlink option in version 6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't see it, perhaps you've got it turned off in your work space.

menu.png unlink.png

If it's enabled, repalce your preferences: Adobe InDesign CS4 * Setting preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I must have the ToysR'Us version of CS4 Premium.  Here is my Menu Customization:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong menu. Scroll up three to "Link Context Menu."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still get zilch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the workspace to "Advanvced." I don't think it will help, but it's quick.

Next is to try resetting your preferences (see the link in my first post). If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall.  A screen shot of the links panel would be helpful, menu open if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Advanced setting has no effect.

We have four copies of InDesign 6, two PC and two Mac, and all have the same Link Content Menu display.  One copy I installed just yesterday on Windows 7 and had selected the default installation, which I believe I had done with the other 3 when we first got the CS4 versions.

I have been working with InDesign since v. 1.5, but have never run into anything like this.

I think what I will do is give tech support a call tomorrow.  However, last time I was transferred a number of times before I just gave up, which may have been the objective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've installed the 6.0.4 patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of the versions are 6.0.4.  Maybe unlinking has been banned in Texas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it makes no difference if a differnt file is open, or no file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the Link Content Menu with files open and with no file and by selecting linked images.  I have turned of the machine, walked out of the room, re-entered the room through a different door, turned the machine back on, and still no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I'm stumped at the moment. I'll sleep on it, and I f I think of anything else I'll be back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your assistance.

I think I need a beer or two to help me find a new angle to approach this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have that unlink option in my Links Panel Menu (MacOS 10.5.8)...

links.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the linked text file and go to the flyout menu and choose embed link. If you received the file and the link is missing then you will not be able to embed until you relink the missing link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the "Embed Link" option is just for graphics.  If you have a linked text file, once you choose "Unlink" it embeds.  The original text documents don't seem to be needed (you can unlink even if you've deleted the original text file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lisa Forrester wrote:

Select the linked text file and go to the flyout menu and choose embed link. If you received the file and the link is missing then you will not be able to embed until you relink the missing link.

Lisa,

You cannot choose Embed for a text file. Also there is no issue with unlinking a missing text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it is where you would not expect it.

Look under Preferences>File Handling - Links:

Links.png

Turn this on and "Unlink" becomes available.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I really don't think that's the answer. Linking of wordprocessor and spreadsheets is not enabled on my system, and I still have the option to show or hide Unlink in the panel menu, and it is visible, though grayed out, in the menu. It's remotely possible, but not very likely, that you would have to have turned it on at some point to see the option in the menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Then this is strange...

That is what I have to do to enable text linking. I did not have that option in the Menus Customization dialog with it turned on but it is available in the Links Panel.

Links-2.png

I am running ID CS4 6.0.4 on Win XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, the OP wasn't asking how to enable linking, he was asking how to UNLINK a file that wasn't provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

He wanted to activate the option to UNLINK, that was what my understanding was. And this is the only way I know how to activate the option since UNLINK wasn't available.

Like I said, very strange behavior...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying the linking must be active before you have the unlink option available? I don't think so.

First of all, that's a document level preference, so it should have already been set, and second, you can unset linking for a document that has missing linked files and still have unlink in the menu (see capture).

I think something else is at play, but I don't know what. It can't hurt to eanble Linking, though, if it isn't, to test.

Peter

unlink2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I just tried this and it did work for me.

I linked a text file, moved its location so it had a missing link icon, enabled LINKING in Preferences and had the UNLINK drop down menu item available. Clicked Unlink, the text vanished from the Link menu and remained embedded in the text box. Worked like a charm.

I also would like the OP to try this on his doc (preferable a copy for safety). Couldn't hurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From all of your suggestions, I have attained a partial solution.

The InDesign file we received had a linked Word document that showed up as being modified.  If we updated the link, all of the text in the document reflowed incorrectly.  So the objective was to unlink this document and avoid the possibility of someone else working on the job would update it unknowing and cause a problem.  So we wanted to unlink it prior to it being updated.

As an experiment, I went ahead and updated the link, and then the "Unlink" option did become available in the "Links" drop down menu.

Thus, the link needs to be up to date before it can be unlinked, at least on my copies of InDesign.

However, the "Unlink" still does not show up in the Menu Customization, whether or not the link text files option is selected in Preferences.

As they would say on Myth Busters, the ability to unlink, as far my settings go, is plausible.

Thanks to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines