• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unwanted fonts are activated

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using four of the 30 plus Garamond Premier Pro fonts in an Indesign document. I have activated only these four. The entire family constantly appears in the character menu. How can I avoid the tedium of scanning past the unwanted fonts, and of having the wrong font appear as the default in "Find/Replace fonts"?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you about "activation" from fonts.adobe.com?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I am asking about. It's true that there are workarounds, but many of them should be part of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to deactivate through creative cloud app?

2021-05-12_9-49-50.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And the unwanted fonts appear in the Indesign font list in the Character menu anyway. One of them is the default when I want to find/replace fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check fonts list in your OS, InDesign fonts folder or InDesign package folder? I do think that you are have physically unwanted font on your HDD and thats why he is in the list of available fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no fonts in my InDesign fonts folder (assuming that's the one inside the application's folder). I don't know what or where the InDesign package folder is. The fonts in question are Adobe fonts that I activate or deactivate via Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give package of few pages of your publication with this "bug" through some Dropbox/yadisk?

May be some of us check your file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what yadisk is. With whom would I share the dropbox folder? It's not just this publication, it's all of Indesign. I have to "repair" Indesign daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I don't know what yadisk is

https://disk.yandex.com/ - this is another service like dropbox

>> With whom would I share the dropbox folder?

With all.

>> I have to "repair" Indesign daily.

If it not helps, give the file to check forum users. If helps - tell us here. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems-101-error-new/td-p/1... - use it this link, it contains helpful tricks about resetting indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a surprise, Indesign would not respond (even though it was open) when I tried to open the document to save a few pages for you. I will try tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do package, open indd from this package, delete all the pages except few, check that "bug" is here, save, do zip of all package, send this zip file to dropbox/other strorage service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I share this file with you in Dropbox? I don't have an email address for you. The file is too large to add here. The bug occurs; unwanted, unactivated fonts appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> delete all the pages except few

It won't be big file.

If you can't work with Dropbox then use it any other filesharing service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any other filesharing device. But surely I would have to identify the person with whom I am sharing. The zipped packaged file is 89 MB. I will attach the Indesign file here. The fonts are Adobe Open Source fonts. 

By the way, Adobe's plan to stop supporting anything but Open Source fonts stinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See an image below. You are using not 4 species of Garamond. You are use it minimum seven as I see. Catch a places where you are have fonts that you don't need it and kill it. 

2021-05-14_10-32-34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find and replace non-used fonts by find/replace font dialog:

2021-05-14_10-38-29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. I have done so many times. The first font it offers as a replacement is Garamond Regular, which I do not want to use and did not activate. That is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using the bold and italic versions. But I am NOT using Regular, which constantly appears as the default font. I tried repeatedly to change it with Find/replace and it keeps turning up. It is not activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For doing an experiment on my side I do need exact list of Garamonf font that you need, all other I will be kill and try to repeat your situation. Give me the 4 fonts name that you are really need and 3 names that I need to kill (as I see - 7 Garamonds now in the your indd example). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And some thoughts: are you have some .ai links that used "unwanted" fonts? I can't check it! You wasn't give a package, just indd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the package in my dropbox folder, but how could I share it with you if I don't have an email address? I don't have any other documents open using other fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share "for all" or fear to show to everyone?

I can't promise that will check soon by myself. Weekend 🙂 never mind - george@belrus.info - share to my email

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share a Dropbox folder with anyone

You can share files with anyone, including people without Dropbox accounts, by sharing a link to any file or folder. You can send a shared link by email, Facebook, Twitter, instant message, social networks, wherever you want. 

Shared links are view-only, and by default anyone with the link can view and download its contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George, thanks for your email. I don't know how to share for everyone. I've shared it with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines