• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using an excel list of days across multiple pages

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am struggling to figure out how to make something that should be simple work. 

I am designing a planner. 

Inside the planner are daily pages (these pages are grouped in 7s; one for each day of the month). 

I have used excel to create a list of days, including the day of the week: Sunday, February 28th

I have a text box on each daily page where I have copied and pasted the date into. However, I know there has to be an easier, more automated way to get this excel list to auto-populate these text boxes. I'm doing a quarterly planner and don't want to have to copy and paste 120 times to get the day of the week onto each daily page. 

When I copy from excel into indesign, it creates a table. Can someone help me understand how to have this autopopulate? I've searched and seached but i don't think I'm using the right terms. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.59.04 AM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @LisaJolley11 ,

Are you just trying to populate the heading?

If this is the case, what you want to do is called a data merge. To do this:

1. In Excel export the spread sheet as a csv.
  2. In Indesign, go to windows > utilities > data merge.
  3. With this panal go to its options (top right of the panel) and select a data source.
  4. Place the date field.
  5. Go to panel options and merge the document.

This will make pages on how many entries you have.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you're trying to do either. Please re-explain, and I should be able to give you a hand. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you simply trying to populate each page with text of a day of the week? In your screen shot you show Sunday, February 28th in green script at the top of the planner page. So you want this on each consecutive planner page? Monday, March 1st, Tuesday March 2nd, etc.

Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Yes. I created the format I want for each daily page in excel, and was struggling to get it into indesign. 

I did create linked text boxes across each page, and that worked, althought it was tedious. I am curious if there is a better way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines