Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Numbered Lists

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Learning ID

I have a 2-page document with 2 columns per page. Each column is composed of a non-threaded text frame. At the top of each text frame is a heading style that contains the chapter and sequence number from a numbered list.

1-1

1-2

1-3

1-4

All is well until I insert another page with it's 2 columns and same heading style. Then I get:

1-1

1-2

1-5

1-6

1-3

1-4

I have read it is numbered on what order the text frames were constructed. 

Is there a way to renumber based on the order the text frame resides in the document rather that the order in which the text frames were inserted in the document? (am I going to have to cut/paste each frame again in the right order?)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What number counter are you using for the chapter numbers? ^H or ^1? Can you show us your paragraph styles bullets and numbered list dialog box so that we can see the setup?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 11.30.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Airlens:

Start by changing the Number definition from Photograph ^H... to Photograph ^1.... ^H is the chapter counter and only increments when you have multiple InDesign files in a book. Use the level one counter to increment within a single file. 

Let us know if that takes care of it. If not, there's one more step—telling the list to increment across multiple stories. This is accomplished in by editing the list definition in Type > Bullets and Numbered Lists > Define list > Edit. 

This post fully explains how to define numbered headings. Be sure to read down to the very end where it addresses working with in a single file. https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/ 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbering across multiple stories seemed to work for the numbered heading in each unthreaded frame when adding or removing pages.  

I have a similiar problem with the captions updating correctly, which I see has been a topic of conversation for several years.  When adding or removing captions they don't update to reflect the change.  Some post say it is numbered based on the order the text frames holding the caption was created and not it's position/sequence on the page.  Some say the only way to correct this is to cut and paste in place in the order you want them to be numbered, which I haven't found to work very well and is not a practical solution for a longer document.  Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something important?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just clarifying now: the original issue has now been taken care of and your heads numbering correctly?

So now you have a second (related) question and it is on numbering captions? 

Can you show me a spread (including a selected caption frame) and the numbering settings for the captions?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.39.56 AM.png

Yes that is correct. Headings number correctly.

Paragraph style for captions is shown in previous post above.  A different numbered list is used for the Headings. graphics are inserted directly on the page and grouped with the caption text frame. In those cases where they may be inserted within a text frame the graphic is wrapped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as you work through the document, make an effort to add the standalone caption frames to each spread in the correct order, working from top to bottom.

When you need to add a frame in the middle later, use Edit > Cut, Edit > Paste in Place to straighten things out. You can select multiple frames with the Shift key, so it just takes a minute.

To avoid this, add the images as anchored objects, and the captions on the line below, all in threaded frames. For a long document, this is a better way to work, because the images/captions will flow as you enter edits.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I do a select, cut, paste in place, If I have selected more than 1 caption frame they come back exactly as they were before with the numbers still out of sequence.

If I select only 1 caption frame cut, paste in place, It always comes back as the highest list number on that page, without regard to it's physical position.  (unless there is a setting in the wrong position that I am unaware of)

It appears the only way to arrange them in numerical order is to physically move the caption frame into order then cut and paste the content to the correct frame...that could become very tedious for a long document with numerous additions and deletions.

As a beginner, I find anchored frames confusing to use, never knowing where the graphic will show up next. It makes a meaningful organization and display of graphics impossible (at least for me).  For this material, it is not necessary for the graphic to be adjacent to or move with a specific block of text. hummm....what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines