• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UXP Table Scripting extremely slow

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this to note the slow performance of UXP versus CEP/Extendscript when creating and formatting tables. When running the same script on both, the UXP scropt takes over 1 minute to populate and format a medium sized table while it takes Extendscript ~20 seconds. I don't think 20 seconds is good, but over a minute is awful. I'm not sure if others have noticed this performance drop when switching, but it ultimately might discourage my company from adopting the new language. I hope Adobe is aware of this...

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , UXP Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Phil 815, thanks for posting. It's good to collect real-world data on this stuff. You are right that manupulating tables is very slow, even with ExtendScript, so I would hope that that is on the list for Adobe to improve. I noticed your other post, which shows a video of populating a table. I've been waiting for a UXP expert to answer, but since there have been no answers yet, I'll hazard a guess that the enableRedraw = false isn't implemented yet. Only a guess. UXP for Indesign has a lot missing at this early stage. Please keep posting any other issues you find—it really is helpful.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For another speed comparison: I've set up UXPScriptSparker to make it easy to run side-by-side comparisons between UXPScript and ExtendScript speeds. One example:

https://github.com/zwettemaan/UXPScriptSparker/wiki/InDesignBrot

There are a few more sample scripts embedded into UXPScriptSparker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey this is a great resource @RorohikoKris. Thank you for making it and sharing. Very interesting. Your rough estimate seems to be that UXP DOM manipulating takes about 3x the time compared to ExtendScript.

It would be fascinating to know the process of implementing UXP. I guess they are connecting to the existing scripting API via UXP, which may involve an intermediate layer (and the speed bump). What else would explain the lower performance?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue; accessing any InDesign DOM commands is slower in UXP currently.

An upcoming release of InDesign will fix this (the version number is not final yet), I'm hoping that at that point UXP will run considerably faster than ExtendScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Thanks Erin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info @erinferinferinf ! Is there a target release date for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps as early as August! Sometimes the dates get pushed around, and rollout tends to be by region, so it may not be in a release on August 1st exactly.

(Woops, posted with my other account...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines