• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

v16.0 Problems with exporting black plates

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem exporting black with v16.0 of InDesign. This is a test document using Black text. 

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.33.19.png

Usually, if I was preparing a PDF for print which included images, I would export the job to the correct profile, and choose Convert To Destination [preserve numbers], to ensure my text wasn't converted to a rich, multi-plate black, like this.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.33.56.pngScreenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.34.53.png

However, when I tried this today, the result was a 287% rich black text, like this:

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.35.17.png

And this was the same even if I set the black in InDesign to 0/0/0/100 rather than [Black]:

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.36.24.png

Does anybody know why this is suddenly happening? I read that the Appearance Of Black preference may be affecting it, but I've set this to Output Blacks Accurately, and the document blend space is CMYK. I send artwork to print regularly, so really need to find a solution to this as soon as possible. Exporting without any conversion works, but is obviously not a realistic option for good colour management.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 11.35.50.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Use PDF X/4.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use PDF X/4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Frans. That does indeed seem to work. Could you tell me why it does? Is that a recent change? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but that doesn't colour manage (well it does, sort off) and I saw in your screenshot that you flattened the file because of an older pdf 1.4 setting. So it could be transparency, it could be a profile mismatch (I even see Generic CMYK) etc. The newer PDF X/4 exports 'as is' (so RGB images will be kept RGB, and it is up to the printer to convert).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you tell me why it does? Is that a recent change? 

In your capture of the Export>Output tab you have chosen Generic CMYK Profile as the Destination profile, and you have included the profile.

The capture of the Acrobat Output panel is showing US Web Coated SWOP as the Simulation profile, so the CMYK values shown are a simulation of the color conversion from the embedded Generic CMYK to US Web Coated SWOP. If you set the Simulation profile to Generic CMYK the Separation values should be 100% black.

A feature of PDF/X is the extra Ouput Intent profile, which is always the same as the Destination profile. By default Acrobat Pro sets the Simulation profile to the Output Intent, so document CMYK values show as unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StudioPensom,

check your color management settings!

Destination: "Generic CMYK Profile" is a bit strange.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for the help everyone. Uwe, I've just used 'Generic CMYK' for the example. In practice I would be using whatever profile is specified for the job, such as Fogra 39 etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, you are protecting the document CMYK colors, but are including the destination profile, which is causing the simulated conversion. An alternative would be not to include the document profile, which is the [Press Quality] preset’s default:

Screen Shot 60.pngScreen Shot 61.pngScreen Shot 62.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines