• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the Quickest Find in Array Method

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long list of parts. Each part has 2 different number formats—one numeric, one alphanumeric.  Format A (12-234567) is the same part as Format B (ABCD-EFGH-IJKL). I have 2 arrays in a 1:1 correlation with each other, meaning arrayNumeric[1000] and arrayAlphaMumeric[1000] are the same part.

The script works as intended but both arrays have a length of about 70k. My issue is there is a 2-5 second lag as the script searches through the arrays. I have the "same" script written in php and apache computes it instantly, so I'm confused as to what the performance issue is.

I see there is no IndexOf unless you add it as a prototype, and the code i see to add indexOf is the same as what I wrote. I cannot seem to find a faster way to search through the large arrays. Here's the function I made to search them.

function getXref(num) {

for ( i = 0 ; i < arrayNumeric.length; i++) {

if ( arrayNumeric == num ) {

return arrayAlphaMumeric;

}

}

}

There seems to be a performance issue regardless of debug level, whether extendscript toolkit is closed or open, or if i write to console or not. So my question is basically what's the best way to handle finding values in large arrays?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SpicyDodge,

By nature, a linear loop in an unsorted 70K array may become a heavy task if the underlying data structure is not optimized. There are many ways of improving the process, this depends on your data and goal.

• Is arrayNumeric an actual array of numbers? (It looks like format A refers to strings of the form "##-######"?)

• In case you use numbers, can arrayNumeric be sorted? If sorted, a binary search would dramatically speed up the process.

• Also, what is the range of format A numbers? If the range is known at the beginning, you may improve the internal encoding of your data. Sometimes U+FFFF (String rather than Array) is a great approach, as you can invoke indexOf and/or pattern matching through regex.

• Are both arrayNumeric and arrayAlphaNumeric hard-coded once and for all? If so, the Array structure is not necessary the best option. A 1:1 map could be designed as a { key=>val } Object instead, which then relies on JS hash mechanism, pretty good in ExtendScript.

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your informative reply. I can merge the two arrays into a key => val format. I was reluctant to take that approach initially as I'm coming from php and there appears to be no such thing as an associative array in JavaScript which is what I need.

Is there a better way to handle this than for (key in array)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do (the equivalent of) associative arrays in JavaScript. E.g.

parts = {};

parts['12-234567'] = 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKL';

parts['12-234568'] = 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKM';

// etc.

But whether JavaScript handles such long assoc with any efficiency I don't know.

As Marc mentioned, binary searches are very fast on long arrays, but they do require that the arrays are sorted.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spicyDoge  a écrit

Thank you for your informative reply. I can merge the two arrays into a key => val format. I was reluctant to take that approach initially as I'm coming from php and there appears to be no such thing as an associative array in JavaScript which is what I need.

Is there a better way to handle this than for (key in array)?

Once you have declared a 1:1 map as follows,

const parts =

{

'12-234567' : 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKL',

'12-234568' : 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKM',

'12-234569' : 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKN',

// etc

};

you no longer need to loop in (this would have no advantage over a regular Array!).

Simply use parts[key] to get the match; parts.hasOwnProperty(key) tells whether that key exists.

(However, I still suspect that keys like '12-234567' could have, internally, a better encoding.)

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went ahead and created an object,  list = {"alpha":"numeral",....); I used the function below to get the value from prop, where the property is the A format and the value is the B format. So getting

var list = {object}

function getAlphaNumeric(num)

{

if ( list.hasOwnProperty(num))

{

return list[num];

}

}

that improved the script performance tremendously. issue is going in the opposite way to pull the property from the value. using a for loop and comparing list.valueOf(property) to myValue and returning property takes a pretty long time as well.

So the most optimal approach seems to have 2 objects, one "format A:format B" and another "format B:format A" then using the function above to get the xref number.

If theres yet a faster way please enlighten me, if this is pretty much as good as it gets i thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to expand on Marc's example:

'12-234567' in parts ; // returns true or false

parts['12-234567'] ; // returns value eg. 'ABCD-EFGH-IJKL' or undefined

parts['12-234567'] === undefined ; // returns true or false

Question is: What's the fasted way with an object that contains thousands of key-value pairs?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines