Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which .dll contains the Splash Screen?

Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang,

Do any of you know which .dll file within Adobe InDesign CS6 contains the startup splash png image file?

Best,

Mike Witherell, ACE

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Michael,

Almost all graphical UI elements are inside idrc_PNG* folders with IDRC extension.

Basically, they are regular PNGs with changed extension.

Splash screen can be found here: \Adobe InDesign CS6\(InDesign Resources)\idrc_PNGA\294.idrc

Simply change IDRC to PNG and you will be able to load it in Photoshop.

Hope that helps.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't they dump the splash screen in CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Maybe you call it the startup screen?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it supposed to look like this? For a moment(*) I thought my system had crashed

This image is not anywhere found as a separate file, so yeah, I guess that probably would make it an alpha transparent PNG somewhere inside a library.

Why'd you wanna know? You want to change it or something? Tinkering with program code is a bad idea in general.

idstartup.png

(*) Actually, for several minutes, while IDCS6 was churning through its initializing startup routine and loading 457MB for 761 items. (Per Finder Info -- hopefully not all of it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Jongware, that is the one! I want to customize it.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you manage to do that, please share it! the new splash screen is the ugliest thing i'we seen in ages!! (All the CS6 splash screens are horrible, but the indesign one takes the cake)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean this one?

Never mind, looks like it's completely different in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Almost all graphical UI elements are inside idrc_PNG* folders with IDRC extension.

Basically, they are regular PNGs with changed extension.

Splash screen can be found here: \Adobe InDesign CS6\(InDesign Resources)\idrc_PNGA\294.idrc

Simply change IDRC to PNG and you will be able to load it in Photoshop.

Hope that helps.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for all the Mac users, go to:

Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app

Open the package of the app.

The whole path is:

Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app/Contents/Resources/idrc_PNGA/294.idrc

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

I was able (with your help) to find and modify the Startup artwork and the About InDesign credits screen. But I cannot locate the Welcome Screen on a MAC version of InDesign CS6. Which file is it? Where is that file? It does not seem to be 1051.idrc on my mac.

By the way, what I am doing is adding my name to these bits of visual art. Think of it as vanity license plates on a car, but it is useful when I work as a trainer/consultant in front of clients and students.

I hope you can help me.

Mike

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael – it is not 1051.idrc, but 294.idrc…

located at:

Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app/Contents/Resources/idrc_PNGA/

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, you are sure that is the Welcome screen; not the opening Splash Screen? I am looking for the purple art over the Welcome screen. Many thanks!!!

Mike

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to re-iterate, I am looking on Mac OS X to find the image file related to the purple Welcome Screen. Any ideas where that file is hiding on Mac OS X?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

g'day Michael

this is the exact path to the purple image that loads when you open IDCS6, well it is on my mac.

Macintosh HD:Applications:Adobe InDesign CS6:Adobe InDesign CS6.app:Contents:Resources:idrc_PNGA:294.idrc

oops, should have noted the answer was already given

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin, but no, now I am looking for the Welcome Screen artwork; not the opening splash screen. We already found the Splash screen art!

Thanks for writing!

Best,

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, Marijan Tompa  just wrote to me and directed me here:

Try looking at /Plug-Ins/PMPack/(PMWelcomeScreen Resources)/idrc_PNGA/1051.idrc. It should be there.

And indeed it is! Thanks again, Marijan!

Best to you all!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to know where these files are located for Photoshop CS6? The directory structure in Resources is totally different from InDesign 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 Splash screen: The artwork .png file for the Photoshop CS6 (64-bit) Splash screen is much more of a challenge to work on. It requires using a special software called a Resource Editor to edit C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\PSArt.dll. You may find yourself in unfamiliar territory!

Free Resource Editor softwares are available for both Mac and Windows. If you do a google search on Resource Editors, you will find many offerings. I tried Resource Hacker on Windows, just for one example out there. On Mac, you might try Rezilla, or ResKnife.

Inside the PSArt.dll file, browse to PNGF > SPLASHARTBACKGROUND.PNG Expand the folder, to see a resource named 1033. This is the.png file splash screen.

What you are trying to do is swap the default artwork for your own customized artwork. Select the resource 1033, then click on Action > Save Resource as Binary file. Save it as .png so you can work on it in Photoshop. When done with your artistry, export your new design with Photoshop’s Save for Web choosing a transparency-capable PNG-24 file.

Now, back to your Resource Editor software. Choose resource 1033 again, and right click on it to choose Replace Resource, and then, click on Open file with new resource. Choose your new splash screen artwork .png file, then when the Resource Editor software prompts you, add the following info: Resource Type: PNGF; Resource Name: SPLASHARTBACKGROUND.PNG; Resource Language: 1033. Then click on replace; also save the PSArt.dll file; and finally reload Photoshop to see if your changes work.

Hope this helps!

Mike Witherell, ACE, ACI, ACP

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

This method doesn't work with the photoshop CC apps. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hope to know, too. the splashscreens are by no means one of the ugliest within the whole universe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. i came along that thread, too. problem, the video seems to have been removed and the PSArt.dll does not contain such an folder mentioned there... even more important it is for dreamweaver

illustrator kept the splashscreen editable, why not the other apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this great post! I can now change my InDesign splash screen. But can anyone tell me how to change the location  and colour of the maroon text that also comes on the splash screen? I am talking about the text that gives updates about the various files being loaded during startup of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For InDesign CC 2018 with mac the file is here :

Application/InDesign/InDesign[open the package]/Contents/Ressources/ID_SplashCC.png and ID_SplashCC@2x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines