Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrapping text around inline image

Advocate ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to remember how to do this (I'm pretty sure I've done it before) without workarounds like invisible tables, etc.

Basically I'm trying to place images inline, relative to the spine, and align the top of the image with the top of the beginning of the text.

However, I'm not remembering how to get all the text to honor the wrap, since the line with the anchor marker doesn't wrap. In this image, for example, I need the paragraph below the image to begin at the same vertical position as the top of the image. I've tried moving the marker around, but haven't found a way to get it to work as expected...

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 7.14.46 AM.png

Any help appreciated!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text does not wrap on the line of text with the anchor. You need to anchor it above that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob - yes - thanks. The issue here is that the anchor wants it own text properties, which can be problematic - specifically, leading... maybe feels like more of an issue when it's at the beginning of copy.

Anchoring it outside the copy it's associated with feels kinda sloppy, but I'll try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it anchored or inline? There is a difference in the way things behave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I can make it work if I place the anchor marker at the end of the "title line" (the bold line just before the copy begins) but this feels like a workaround as it isn't anchoring to the text it "belongs with."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three steps:

1. Place the inline graphic in the document. I found when I experimented with your issue that there was a quirk where the first line didn't respond quite like I'd want, so I placed the inline graphic in the subhed above the first line of the text I wanted to align this to, as shown below:

x1.jpg

2. x2.jpgSelect the inline graphic with your Arrow/Selection tool. Then select the Object>Anchored Object>Options... menu command, as shown at right. This opens the Anchored Object Options dialog box, as shown immediately below. Change the Postition: options box to Custom to see the full range of positioning options shown below, then fiddle with the anchoring proxies and Y: Offset edit box to position your anchored graphic to align with the first line of your copy block below the subhed. Your mileage will vary, but in my case to approximate the positioning you had in your post, I selected the top-right corner of the Anchored Object Reference Point: proxy, matched it up to align to the right with the Anchored Position Reference Point: proxy and set the Y Offset: edit box to .1875 in to move the anchored object down to align with the first line of the following copy block. Those settings lined up the anchored object as shown in the illustration immediately below.

x3.jpg

This will take some fiddling to get things exactly the way you want them, but the final settings you choose can be applied/duplicated for each subsequent instance. And if you select the Preview check box in the dialog, you can see the result of your adjustments in real time with the dialog box open, giving you the opportunity to "try before you buy" until you come up with the perfect tailored fit.

Now that you've got the anchored object aligned the way you want it, all we need to do is apply settings for the text wrap.

x4.jpg3. Open the Text Wrap panel. if it's not visible on your desktop, activate it by selecting the Window>Text Wrap menu command. In the first row of pictograms, select the second button from the left, which tells InDesign to Wrap around bounding box and move the text and push underlying text around the object. By default, changing any of the Offset Position edit boxes below will change all the boxes equally because they're linked. Offset all around the object introduces the possibility of messing with layouts, so I prefer to click the center chainlink to unlink the settings, and in this case offset the text wrap to the left of the anchored object .125 in, or in printer's measures, 9 points.

If you followed all these steps, your final result should look like the image below:

x5.jpg

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Randy - thanks - yes, this is essentially how I'm setting it up...

Anchoring an image somewhere other than where it's supposed to go, arbitrarily, is making my layout OCD flop around like a fish...
And upon trying to set this up and expect image placement to behave when repaginationg / flowing to previous or subsequent pages... wow, not good. I'm surprised.

FWIW I'm trying to set this up to work in a book with many pages and a bunch of images. I can't imagine that, for images that are directly associate with text, people manually position and re-position a large number of images; I think I must be overlooking something 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you're really using anchored as opposed to inline, you can set up an object style to position it properly after you anchor it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines