• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom Factor issue: Linked Graphics from Illustrator vanishes in Indesign. Win7/CC2017

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I wonder if anyone know where this problem come from and how I can fix it:

Since short time I'm using Indesign CC2017 with Win7 on a new Machine with Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 3.4 GHz and NVIDA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

I work with placed Illustrator files in Indesign. While working in Indesign (when i change the zoom factor or the reposition the view in another way) my placed graphics vanished or come back. The frame ist still there, they are still linked, but just not visible.

I think, it could be either a problem of the graphic board, or a problem between win7 and cc2017.

Had anyone else this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Hi Anne,

did you try the different viewing options?
"Normal", "High Quality"

Did you try with "Overprint View" ?

Maybe you are describing a similar problem to that of Peter Lenz at www.hilfdirselbst.ch with placing AI files in InDesign CC from 2014:

ID CC Darstellungsprobleme oder defekte Grafiken ? - Adobe InDesign - HilfDirSelbst.ch - Forum

Note: The posted problem AI file can be downloaded by members of the hilfdirselbst forum, only.
Because of that I uploaded Peter's test AI to my Dropbox account s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne,

did you try the different viewing options?
"Normal", "High Quality"

Did you try with "Overprint View" ?

Maybe you are describing a similar problem to that of Peter Lenz at www.hilfdirselbst.ch with placing AI files in InDesign CC from 2014:

ID CC Darstellungsprobleme oder defekte Grafiken ? - Adobe InDesign - HilfDirSelbst.ch - Forum

Note: The posted problem AI file can be downloaded by members of the hilfdirselbst forum, only.
Because of that I uploaded Peter's test AI to my Dropbox account so you could download the test file:

Dropbox - Abb07_RZ02_Textpfad.ai.zip

Placed AI file with InDesign CS6 showing view with "High Quality":

AI-Placed-CS6-View-HighQuality.png

Placed AI file with InDesign CC showing view with "High Quality".

Note: Also the static caption is not visible, that is touching the image frame.

AI-Placed-CC-View-HighQuality.png

The same InDesign CC document with a different zoom percentage where the graphic is visible:

AI-Placed-CC-View-HighQuality-DifferentZoomLevel-GraphicIsVisible.png

The cause of the problem was identified by Peter:

Overprinting elements in the Illustrator file.

InDesign CS6 => No problems
InDesign CC and above => Problems that parts or the whole graphic would not show with different zoom levels or different view options.

A workaround to solve this problem:

1. Place an empty rectangle in the background on the page.

2. Fill color "[Paper]"

3. Use the Effects panel: Set opacity to 0 %

It's not necessary that the empty rectangle is touching the graphic frame holding the placed AI :

Workaround-RectangleInBackground-FillPaper-Opacity-0.png

Obviously introducing transparency to the spread will trigger the graphic to show.

Peter Lenz reported this bug several times over the years.

Unfortunately this bug was never fixed. I did not test with CC 2017, but Peter reported that the bug is still with us.

Here another show case by Peter published with hilfdirselbst for a placed AI file where only parts of the graphic are showing ( I cannot provide the original AI file for this example. Peter did not post it 😞

PlacedAI-OpacityOnRectangleInTheBack-100.png

Peter's solution back then was to introduce opacity to a background rectangle:

PlacedAI-OpacityOnRectangleInTheBack-53.png

As I found a simple rectangle with opacity 0 % on the page would do the trick as well.

Hope that helps,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I tested the linked AI file with InDesign CC 2017.
The problem persists. A bit different as shown with InDesign CC 9.3.0: Only parts of the placed graphic were visible.

The good news:
It is sufficient to place the small transparent rectangle somewhere on the pasteboard of the spread to enforce the right redrawing of the placed AI graphic.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using bleed with your InDesign document, place the transparent object on the pasteboard of the used master touching the bleed. That would also work. If no bleed area is defined, the transparent object has to touch the page of a master.

Report the bug here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Provide all the details in written form and a link to a zipped packaged InDesign document where the bug is visible.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe,

Thank you so much!!! I read your thread and the thread in the swiss forum. The problem occours only within one viewing mode: "best Quality". In "normal viewing mode" and "overprint" the graphics behave normal. - I didn't realized that, because I always work with "best Quality".

As soon as I place the paper-colored rectangle with an opacity of 0% on my master pages, the graphics behave normal again. I'm so happy!

The interesting thing is: Peter thought, that it is a bug and a problem within cc2015 and Mac. - But I came from a Mac with cc2015 - and I made my Illustrator graphics there. Everything was fine, until I moved with these files to PC/Win7 and cc2017, and here the problem showed up. - So maybe it's a problem of migrating between platforms.

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne,

thank you for confirming all this.

And that my little trick does help. 🙂

In fact it will even help if you are using a rectangle with no fill and opacity set to 0 % to trigger the right rendering in "High Quality" view. I'm relieved. Nevertheless I did a bug report. And you should do as well.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

…Nevertheless I did a bug report. …

This bug should be fixed with InDesign CC 2018.1.

See also this reply by Peter Lenz at hildirselbst.ch from August 2018:

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=565835#565835

Quoting Peter Lenz in German:

Hallo Zusammen, 

ich habe nun nochmal nachgetestet.

Das Problem besteht weiterhin in ID CC2015 v11.4.1.102

Das Problem besteht weiterhin in ID CC2017 v12.1.0.56

Das Problem taucht nicht mehr auf in ID CC2018 v13.1.0.76

Ich habe die InDesign-Versionen jeweils nur über die CC Desktop-Application aktualisiert. Zusätzliche Fixes, die man sich von Adobe-Seiten laden konnte habe ich ausgelassen.

FWIW: Just tested the said AI file now with several versions of InDesign on Windows 10.

No issue at all. Not with InDesign CC 2014 10.2.0.69, not with CC 2015 11.4.1.102, not with CC 2017 12.1.0.56, not with CC 2018.1 and not with CC 2019.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hm. Perhaps I spoke too soon.

See this thread here where the issue is back with InDesign CC 2019, Illustrator CC 2019 on Mac OS X:

Illustrator pattern doesn't show up in InDesign

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines