• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: After install LR 4.2 metadata can't be saved

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating LR 4.2 RC (on Mac OS X 10.8.1) yesterday I can't save meta data in photos any more. Cmd+S brings up status bar saying that meta data are being actualized, but in grid view the photos are still shown with meta data to be actualized (arrow down).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012
Hi All,

Thanks for the info. I am able to reproduce this problem, and I've entered the issue in our bug database. To be clear (because this thread has evolved somewhat from the original posting), this is the problem that I've reported:

When a metadata field (caption) contains a "tab" character, Lightroom erroneously reports that metadata is unsaved, even though in fact the metadata has been saved correctly. Happens with JPEG, does not happen with raw. Happens on both Mac and Win.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ́m not sure if the problem is really solved yet. I ́m new to LR, using it like 2 months now. I checked in the catalogue preferences that meta data are automatically saved in xmp-files and now in library grid view my photos don ́t show the metadata to be actualized( with this white arrow down). Tested it by adding some tags to the photos. But this method doesn ́t save the meta data in the file/photo itself as it should do by pressing cmd+S??? Thx for any advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auto-write xmp, should do the same thing as Cmd+S, except automatically - saves metadata to xmp block embedded in dng/rgb source files, or in separate xmp sidecar file if source file is proprietary raw format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob@edidev Cole, thanks for your explanation. Meanwhile I imported some more test photos, and now the meta data are saved properly again, even if I uncheck the auto-write to xmp in catalogue preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Do you know what was the cause of the original problem? operator error? (be brave - we all make mistakes, even "stupid" ones ;-}), or...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m very brave 😉 I don't think though that it was a user ́s fault. The strange thing is that this problem occurred only with some 30 photos imported in one folder that was created after the RC 2 update. In existing folders, created before the update, I could add or delete some tags and save them with cmd+S without any problems.
I also have a smart collection showing the photos with metadata that haven't been actualized yet. This collection showed this 30 pictures from the last import, I marked them, pressed cmd+S, the collection showed for a moment 0 photos and seconds later, they all appeared again in this smart collection. Anyhow, it's now working fine. I will let auto-write to xmp activated. As I understand then the metadata can be read by other programs like PSE as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I guess it's being chalked up as a "glitch"... - Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to keep track of metadata changes, I created a Smart collection based on a filter rule (Status metadata - is - has changed). When selecting all pictures inside this Smart collection by means of Ctrl-A, and hitting Ctrl-S in order to save metadata changes, I see the pictures within the collection disappear one by one, untill all changes have been saved and it says 'No pictures selected in Smart collection'. Nice, and exactly as intended. However, I wouldn't be writing this if there weren't a problem. Within seconds after the last picture has gone from the Smart collection, I see part of them automatically and persistently return to the collection, this despite the fact that they haven't been touched again and hence their metadata not changed. Whatever I try, it is always the same set of pictures (51 JPG-files which all have the same title and caption) that reappears in the Smart collection after following the above procedure, and keeps automatically getting back the status 'Medata changed'.

Is this a known bug, that will be solved in a future update? And for the time being, is there a work-around, that enables me to reliably keep track of metadata changes?

FYI, I am using Lightroom 4.2 (Dutch localisation) for Mac, operating under OS X Lion 10.7.4.

Looking forward to any replies,

Simon M. Wellinga
Heerenveen, The Netherlands

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Metadata needs to be saved" flag is persisting, despite seemingly successful saving of metadata.

e.g. pressing Ctrl-S saves metadata, but the down arrow is not extinguished.

Note: Metadata status remains "Has been changed", and Metadata Date is bumped to current date/time, each time metadata is saved.

I just recently noticed this phenomenon, since I previously had the indicator turned off, so I really don't have a large set of data points for the curve, just yet, but I've been working on jpegs, and the behavior is presently consistent. The jpegs do not appear to be corrupt (metadata is saved, and exiftool can still read/write tags...).

Quick-check: raws w/xmp sidecars do not have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez... I have merged these two topics, but this very one was supposed to be the "authoritative topic".

Apart from other merges, it contained useful replies:

John R. Ellis:
LR 3 had some problems with falsely reporting that the metadata had changed. At least one cause, captions with newlines, was fixed in LR 4 (at least it was fixed for my catalog).

SM Wellinga:
my caption appeared to contain an unintentional tab, and removing it solved my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm concerned, this *is* (still) a problem. - I've yet to be able to bring metadata "up to date" on the jpegs that I've been working on, despite no apparent file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just this evening, I had a single photo whose Metadata Status would change back to "Has been changed" just a few seconds after doing Save Metadata To File. It was a .RW2 from a Panasonic DMC-LX5, and it had no title or caption, so this wasn't a problem with special characters in metadata field.

I removed the photo from the catalog and reimported it, and the problem has gone away (knock on wood).

Lightroom 4.2, Windows 7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If some photos repeatedly change to 'has been changed', you could try one trick. Write the metadata to the files (Ctrl-S) and then Metadata menu > Read Metadata from Files on those problem photos. That usually does the trick without resorting to removing and reimporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you *know* (and usually you *dont* know) that the metadata save worked, and Lr is just being funny, then reading metadata to clear the flag is OK, if it makes ya feel better, but the problem is:

* Sometimes the metadata is not saved, and such failure is indistinguishable from a valid save that just didn't clear the flag, in which case reading the metadata may overwrite good catalog data with bad file data.

This is yet another reason I beg Adobe to assure all failures are vocal (not silent) - if it fails, I want to know about it, no matter what it is (not just saving metadata, but missing camera and/or lens profiles too, etc...).

Note: if file is read-only, then the failure *is* vocal, which is good, but if the save aborts due to wonky metadata, there is no indication of such problem, the file does not change, the failure is not reported to the user...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a VC first should keep most of the metadata to compare.

But I agree it needs fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can compare simply by selecting 'Compare metadata in catalog to disk' from the file menu (ChangeManager plugin), but the VC sounds like a hot tip for people who prefer a plugin-less solution. As long as we agree it needs fixing, I guess I got nuthin' to add: it's really more of an inconvenience than a big problem... - but the forum jockey should un-mark it as 'Not a problem'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Rob that the topic should be marked as "Acknowledged".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the bug number so I can't really mark it as acknowledged, but I've unmarked it as not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for the info. I am able to reproduce this problem, and I've entered the issue in our bug database. To be clear (because this thread has evolved somewhat from the original posting), this is the problem that I've reported:

When a metadata field (caption) contains a "tab" character, Lightroom erroneously reports that metadata is unsaved, even though in fact the metadata has been saved correctly. Happens with JPEG, does not happen with raw. Happens on both Mac and Win.

Thanks,
Ben

(EDIT: I take it back, seems to happen with raw files as well as JPEG.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 different problems here. One has to do with tabs in metadata - happens to both raws and jpegs, the other problem happens even when no tabs in metadata, and is jpeg-only (i.e. doesn't happen with raws). I assume it's due to jpegs being previously edited with some other editor, e.g. ACDSee - some different expectations about metadata format... - educated guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just changed the default configuration for Mac platform, of

MetadataTransformer

to search and replace tabs in captions and/or headline, with spaces.

(default Windows configuration spell-checks, but should be easy enough to configure for tab replacement, like Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

We have had problems in the past with metadata written by third party apps which don't necessarily conform to the XMP spec. One example (which we've fixed) is here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

If you (or anyone) has a sample JPEG that metadata cannot be saved to successfully in Lightroom, please send it to me. You can upload it to dropbox.com or yousendit.com or a similar service, and then post a link here. That will let us figure out if third party metadata is the problem, and if so, what we need to do to work around it.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Ben,

I don't think Lr4.2 is liking ACDSee3-saved metadata, here's one:

http://www.robcole.com/_temp/DSCF2523...

UPDATE: this jpeg "no go" - and I don't *think* it's ever been outside Lightroom:

http://www.robcole.com/LrForumSupport...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate