P: Always switches desktop space to the initial

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create 2 desktop spaces on macOS.
2. Open Lightroom in the first space.
3. Open Mission Control (press F3).
4. Drag Lightroom window to the second space.
5. Switch to the Lightroom on the second space.

Should be: Lightroom must remain on the screen.

Actual result: Lightroom changes desktop space automatically to the first one without Lightroom in it. Can't use Lightroom anymore.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating second desktop. Right click on LR in dock, select ‘Assign to’ and it will stay put!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it doesn't fix the issue and only offer a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this today too -- I moved LR from Space 1 (where it had opened) to space 2. After that I would without warning be booted back to Space 1. Especially strange was when I used Lights Out in LR, and I got these dark window frames placed on top of another app's windows. Obviously, Lightroom Classic is not very compatible with Apple's Spaces, even after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, as far as I can tell, Dave's work-around only makes it worse. I assigned LR to "Desktop on Display 1" (I have 2 displays) and after that, on seemingly a random basis, the "Window : Secondary Display : Survey ⇧N" would display only on Display 1. It was very confusing to figure this out.

Bottom line: Lightroom and Spaces just don't cooperate. And since every other program I have seems to work fine, I suspect the problem is Adobe's. Perhaps this is from Adobe trying to suss out how many monitors you have, and not understanding how the spaces and monitors interact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dmitry, Alan ,

We are also seeing this issue at our end. We have added this issue to our list.Thanks for bringing this out. 

Regards,
Ruby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside, I am using Google Earth to georeference images (via Jeffrey's "jf Geocoding Support" plugin). The process doesn't seem to work well when LR is assigned to a Space other than Space #1. If I put LR and Google Earth in Space 2, and use the menu item "Geoencode selected image from Google Earth", the programs can take 30-60 seconds to exchange information. If both are in Space #1, it is quite rapid (a second or less).

No, I have no idea how these issues could be related, but they seem to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem! It's been happening for several months now.

Then one workaround I've seen that resolves the issue is moving the Lightroom window to the desktop it kicks me to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there an update from Adobe? the workaround Matthew mentioned does not work for me anymore:

what got worse is that now always when activating the "l" shortcut to dim areas outside the image LR keeps switching desktops and then shows other desktops content dimmed. I am on LR 8.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted about the same issue. Interestingly I didn't find your  post when I searched but it came up on the side as related.

I just tried your dim issue but mine doesn't do that. I also was never able to run it in the desktop it kicked me to. In fact, sometimes I activate it and it literally slides to the left and I can't use it. I display all of the desktops, activate the one with Lightroom again and it just keeps sliding off to the left. I have to quit it by the icon on the dock. 

I called support last night and after an hour wait got a guy who I could hardly understand. He wanted to share my screen. All I saw was the mouse moving around. I asked him what he was doing and he didn't answer. Finally, he said I need to see it happen and I said it's random, I can't make it happen. He left without even saying goodbye.

I don't think Adobe cares about making the apps work, just collecting their monthly fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. Dave Roberts keeps posting misinformation on all these problem reports about a “fix” that is just masking a lightroom bug. Adobe please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other app requires this. This is a lightroom bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take great exception to your post, I do not ‘keep posting’, I posted once with a solution that worked for me following a suggestion from Ricke, I am sorry it did not work for you. Neither did I suggest that it was not a LR problem, however like many software issues sometimes a a possible workaround is a solution until it gets fixed. Please withdraw your comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening. Any plans to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ruby, any update on this issue? It's been happening now for over 2 years. It's not like this app is actively being developed with new features. How about fixing some of these annoying bugs? An update on the status would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how is adobe not fixing this basic issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ruby,

It's been over a year. Any updates on this bug?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ruby,

It's been over a year. Any updates on this bug?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me too, and yes it is super annoying. The only workaround for me is to quit LR, move to the space I want it to be on, then restart LR.

LR never used to behave like this, this issue was introduced in a version of LR a few years ago.

It's less annoying than the other long standing LR->PS bug I have, but it seems both the bugs that affect me are acknowledged by Adobe and then *years* go by and nothing ever happens. Frustrating... *sigh*

I'lll sign off with my usual "I'll check back in next year on the blind hope we see some progress...:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This drives me mad when it happens - I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet. Adobe takes my money every month, but leaves issues like this neglected for years. It isn't good enough

Votes

Translate

Translate