• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crashes when adding keywords

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got allot of pictures in my Lightroom Classic catalogue without keywords, when I try and add keywords through the dialogue box Lightroom crashes and I have to sign into my iMac again from the welcome screen, it's happened around 8 times now and it's really frustrating. Does anyone know what could cause this to happen?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
24 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us more which Paul.

"when I try and add keywords through the dialogue box" - which dialogue box?

Can you please go to Help menu > System Info and paste the contents so we can see exactly which version you're using please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lightroom Classic does not have a 'dialog box' to add keywords (it has a keyword entry field in the right panel), could it be that you are using a plugin that is no longer compatible?
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it sounds like the whole computer is crashing if you need to log in again after the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the right hand panel there is two dialogue boxes for keywording and both cause issues when adding new key words, the issue seems to only happen when I add a comma at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only happens with Lightroom, the system is ok, very little else is running, it seems to be when I try to add new key words and separate the words with a comma that's triggering the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 7.2 release and same issue, when I try and add a fresh keyword into the keyboarding dialogue box through the smart collection "pictures without any key words" as soon as I try to separate the new keyword with a comma it causes lightroom to become unresponsive, my iMac then closes down to my login screen, I login and go back into lightroom and it's fine. Just a bit annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Paul,

Can you please share a screenshot of these dialog boxes?

Found what you're looking at. But I couldn't reproduce a crash. Left a comma at the end as well. Could you record a video perhaps to show what's happening?

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, those are entry fields, not dialog boxes. A dialog is a separate pop-up window. Anyway, even though Lightroom should not crash as a result, have you checked in the Lightroom Preferences - Interface tab that keywords are separated by commas, not by spaces?
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my second chat with the photo support yesterday as I have crashes with import, tagging and filtering photos. Filtering caused the entire Windows 10 to lock in all windows and I could not finish individual programs with the Activity Manager. I could only shut down the computer. Windows handled it as a serious error and collected information, and then restarted the computer automatically. I then received several error messages saying that programs lost contact with necessary files. It seemed to me that everything was connected to my D drive and when I checked it was not included in "My Computer". I then chanced to restart the computer and then the computer did not display any error messages and the programs that were not available for use at the previous reboot now worked. Lightroom Classic CC I dare not use anymore as it can seriously harm my other work on my computer.

Anyhow the support could not help they again said that the problem was caused by a bug   number LRD 4197530.  The support was sorry to say that this is a reported BUG with lightroom and has been reported to Engineering who are working on this to get this rectified and a release will be made for the same very soon. 
When I searched in this forum on this bug I found nothing later than 7 months ago. It seems that they have been working with this bug for a very long period without being able to solve it. Do I have to wait for another 7 months to use my Creative Cloud?????

Jeffrey Tranberry, Sr. Product Manager, Digital Imaging made a comment on my text above "Sounds like you're referring to this issue: Lightroom Classic 7.2: Crashes when adding keywords"

and below  You will see my answer.

Yes, but not only adding keywords from my keywordlist but also when I filter out photos from keywordlist as You can se above this gave me a big crash. I ́m not sure but as I remember I have had crashes also giving commands for importing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 7.3.1 was released earlier today, Ulf. Let us know if you are still seeing the crashes after installing and running it for a while. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Mac OS latest version 10.15.3 just hangs as soon as a comma is inserted in Keywords using LR Classic 9.2. Very frustrating and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However it does not work for me.  Mac OS latest version 10.15.3 just hangs as soon as a comma is inserted in Keywords using LR Classic 9.2. Very frustrating and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert this was fixed several years ago and we have no new reports since the release of 9.2 so I believe this is a system-specific issue on your machine.  Try resetting your preference file: 

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart Lightroom.

Does the issue continue after resetting the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk, however after following your instructions it did not work. It seems after a comma is inserted it hangs (Mac beach ball) as though it is going off to my myriad of keywords. Thanks for your help, Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I would recommend a clean install. 

• Close Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom Classic
  • Restart the computer
  • Install Lightroom Classic via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  • Restart the computer
  • Launch Lightroom
  • Wait 5 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk, I will give that a try. If one has a relatively large catalogue (100k photos) and a detailed keyword system, would that make it hang while searching for a name?

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not think so, Robert. My catalog is 370K and I have an incredibly detailed keyword system. It doesn't hang on my system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rikk, I went through your instructions for a clean install to the letter. The first attempt at keywords worked well after inserting a comma. However, after the first photo all subsequent ones resulted in the Mac hanging after inserting a comma.
After a reboot the first attempt works fine then the same problem occurs and it hangs for somewhere between 30 seconds and one minute (but I have not timed it exactly). My short term work around is to add various keywords in a continuous row and then go back and insert the commas at the appropriate places. But of course that is not using the exisiting keyword database. Any suggestions would be helpful. Cheers, Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I suspect your catalog may be the issue and has an internal inconsistency that causes the hang.

If you create a new blank catalog do you see the issue? If no:

If you take a subset of your catalog (say 10k images) and export it as a different catalog and the try the different catalog do you see the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk for your advice - I will follow it through

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

I exported over 8,000 photos to form a new catalog and it seemed to work fine. I then exported over 40,000 photos to a new catalog and after some testing it seemed to work fine. So your hunch seems to be right in that there is corruption in my current catalog.

What would you suggest? If I create export a few catalogs and merge them then presumably the corruption will go with it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corruption shouldn't follow the new catalogs.

I don't see any reason you can't try this:

1. Backup your existing catalog
  2. Go to All Photographs
  3. Select All
  4. Ungroup All Stacks
  5. Select All again
  6. Export as a Catalog (you don't need to include the images)
  7. Rename as the catalog from step 1
  8. Replace catalog from step one with catalog created in step 6.
If this works, it is the least amount of work.  If it doesn't use the backup from step 1 to restore and we can move onto the next option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk,

I will give it a try.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rikk, 

I followed that through and exported all photos as a new catalog. At first it still hung for awhile but not as long as it did previously. But in time the hanging was much reduced to about 5 seconds until it found the relevant section (eg a surname) and then at other times it was much more instant. 

I wonder if it might get even better if I again export all photos as another new catalog?

One other issue that is again not as frequent as it was is that sometimes when I insert a comma into the keyword window, the LR Classic application just immediately closes. Each time it does that I send off the reason why to Adobe. Again I wonder if exporting all photos as another new catalog would solve that as well.

Thanks very much for your idea of exporting all photos to a new catalog as it is significantly better than it was before.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate