• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crop aspect name resets to original

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is new behaviour or if LR6 has always done this and I've never noticed.

I am currently cropping all my images to 2x3 / 4x6 to upload to a school site (outputting with longest edge as 5400 to make 12x18 prints).

When I cycle between images and go back to one already cropped the aspect name is reset to say original each time rather than 2x3/4x6.

This is extremely confusing as I have no way of seeing if the image has actually been cropped or if I have just forgotten to do it!   I'm sure in the past the behaviour has been to keep the chosen crop aspect visible in the panel.

Bug Started
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Setting Status

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your camera shoot a 2:3 / 4:6 ratio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria - nice to hear from you.  
Its 2:3 (Nikon D600 & D700)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm on 2105.10.1 release (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop is being applied - the bounding box appears correct when I open the tool and when I export I get the correct dimensions, its just the behaviour of the aspect name in the develop module that seems to be resetting when I switch between images.  If I set an aspect, close the tool and then open it again then the name of the aspect remains.  However as soon as I change image and then go back and open the crop tool the name has reverted to original each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

Sometime there may be issue with the preference file where preference file may got corrupt due to some reason.
Can you please take a back up and delete the preference file and try this workflow again.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations---lightroom-6.html

Lightroom save crop aspect ratio. If you are able to reproduce this issue with the new preference file then please let me know the system info and a small video to know the exact behaviour.
After this you can replace your original preference file in the preference location mentioned in the link.

-Kanheiya

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you crop a photo whose original aspect ratio is 2 x 3, and the newly cropped aspect ratio is also 2 x 3, the aspect ratio shown in the crop tool will show Original, because indeed the crop has the original aspect ratio.  

When I change the aspect-ratio dropdown to 2 x 3 / 4 x 6 and then adjust the crop boundaries (with the lock icon closed), the dropdown displays 2 x 3 / 4 x 6 for a few seconds and then reverts to Original.

I just verified that this occurs with both LR 5.7.1 and CC 2015.10.1.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is extremely confusing as I have no way of seeing if the image has actually been cropped or if I have just forgotten to do it!"

You can create a smart collection that finds photos that haven't yet been cropped.  Use the criterion "Cropped is false".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John you are right that the crop ratio is the same as the original aspect ratio - however, when I have dragged the boundaries ini'd expect to see some indication of what those boundaries are (for more than a couple of seconds).  Similarly if I applied a 2x3 crop to the original without moving the boundaries i'd still expect it to show that I have actually done something.

I probably have not noticed how it acts before as I normally crop my images for 10x7, but this school site wants 18x12 (4x6).  LR6 does indicated that properly and keeps the aspect displayed even after changing image several times.

So, not the hugest of problems, its more that LR is not consistent in how the dropdown behaves.

I'm having to add the crop ratio to all images even if using the whole frame as the untouched image exports at 3593x5400 not 3600x5400.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your use-case makes sense. Though the difference between changing the boundaries and applying the 2x3 preset is that in the former, the boundaries have changed, but in the latter, the actual aspect ratio hasn't changed.   I think there are others who would like to know that the aspect ratio hasn't changed and would prefer to see Original in that case.  If that's true, then to satisfy both groups of users LR would need to remember and show the last preset that's been applied as well as indicate when the current aspect ratio is the same as the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your use case, perhaps it would actually be more useful if the main Crop icon was highlighted in the tool strip, so you could see edits without even opening the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have also asked for develop tools that have been used to be highlighted: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-feature-request-highlighted-used-to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Setting Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Started

Votes