• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Custom Order lost with slight accidental movement of thumbnail in filmstrip

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sort order is set to date order, it then changes to custom order each and every time an image is edited in Photoshop

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify you are no longer experiencing the issue. Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this Nick. Are you in a folder or a collection when you send the image out to Photoshop for editing?

Also, are you sending the Original or an image with Lightroom edits?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing the original Nikon RAW file from
LR in Ps. The photos are initially imported from a specific folder (in Finder) on my Mac. I never import direct from the camera, always download from camera to Mac and then into LR. Hope that makes sense Rikk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant was, "Are you in a folder or a collection when you click on the image to send it to Photoshop?"

In any case, I tested it via starting in a Folder and starting in a Collection and in both cases, the Capture Time sort was honored before and after sending to Photoshop. It did not change to Custom Order in any event.

Do you have any filters active when you are viewing the images in your Folder/Collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only filter I use, if you can call it that, is to set to show images of 2 stars or greater. I start with all images having a 2 star rating, and raise to 3 star as editing completes (or reduce to 1 or 0 for rejected images). Other than than I do not apply any filters. I do assign a preset at import (for exposure, highlights, shadows, etc). Occasionally I set a colour to a photo, not for filtering, but as a reminder that I have combined two or more images in Ps, either as a layered image or panorama. Also set to auto-advance, when I change the star rating. Would any of these actions cause the date order to be lost, only when sending images to Ps ? (I normally work in folders, not collections). I look forward to any advice you can give, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I can't duplicate what you are seeing Nick, I am left with the good old chestnut: Have you reset your preferences lately? Some weirdness is cured by a reset of your preferences file.

1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while launching Lightroom.
3. When prompted, overwrite the preferences.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart your computer. 

Does the behavior persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Rikk. I'm away for a couple of days and will try as soon as I am back at my Mac. I'll let you know if this resolves the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in responding Rikk.  Back at my Mac now and have reset all of the preferences as you suggest. 
I have just edited an image in Ps and on saving back to LR, the image and original have located themselves at the end of the folder gallery, therefore adopting custom order rather than capture order that the folder was set to.  Do you have any other suggestions as to why this is happening (I have just updated both LR, Camera RAW and Ps to the latest versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly this does not happen every time an image is edited in Ps - it seems to be intermittent, and not for any particular reason or treatment in Ps.  I will monitor all edits in Ps to see if there is a pattern emerging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep me advised on your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine - will do.  At the moment it seems to be happening one in every 5 external edits in Ps.  No obvious reason, but I will keep an eye on things 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that's annoyed the cr*p out of me for years now too! It just takes a couple of seconds but doing it every time it gets a bit old. Every time I have to go back to Library mode and switch the "Sort:" to "Capture Time".  Absolutely unnecessary to have to do this. Have been seriously thinking about buying Capture One more and more recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this in the past with a few badly written plugins, but never with Photoshop. I always assumed that it happened because the plugin somehow altered the capture time, so the image that was returned to Lightroom had a different capture time than the one Lightroom sent. This would trigger the sort order change. Does this perhaps happen when you apply some third-party Photoshop plugin as part of your edits?
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening to me despite several LR updates.  For such a common problem Adobe seem to be ignoring it.  It is not a major issue, but very irritating having to re-set the order event time Ps is used

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the very latest updates of both LR & Ps with no plugins what so ever.  Just the pure programmes/software.  Bizarrely it doesn't happen every time I edit an image or combined images/layers in Ps - so making it harder to track down a trigger for this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No additional plugins for mine either, always keep CC updated. This has happened since I started with LR3, I just never figured it was only when Editing in Photoshop. Thought it happened when switching between "Develop" and "Library" modes occasionally too but I could be wrong. Images become mixed into a very random order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening - I would have thought Adobe would have sorted this by now.  Every time I edit is Photos the edited photo gets to the end of the set of images in the folder. Why is this happening ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to double check - have you confirmed the sort order is set to capture date, and not to custom order?

I can't replicate it either, and we're not seeing an influx of reports. Of course that doesn't mean it's not happening to you, but bugs that can't be reproduced are almost impossible to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep setting it to Capture Time after each Photos edit.  This setting is held indefinitely until I next edit in Photos, and then reverts to Custom Order.  I have had a rebuild of my Mac recently, fresh install of software, and it still happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos? As in the Mac Photos app, rather than Photoshop? How is the photo getting there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All images are RAW, downloaded direct from my Nikon D750, into folders on my Mac.  I then import into Lr.  The Apple photos app does not feature in this process.  (iPhone photos are Airdropped into the same folder system and imported into Lr if and as required, but this is a rarity)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm confused. You said "This setting is held indefinitely until I next edit in Photos, and then reverts to Custom Order." so could you clarify your steps please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ps autocorrected to Photos - I meant, every time I edit an image from Lightroom to Photoshop (Photos is an incorrect reference, sorry about that), then on saving the edited image in Photoshop this image shows up in Lightroom at the end of the set of photos in the relevant folder - not in the Capture Time order where the photo originated from 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand-When you 'send' a (raw) image to Photoshop by [Edit-In], Lightroom is creating a "new" pixel based document. The "Capture Date" for this new image is 'now', this current minute it gets created. The new image in Ps does not carry-over all the exif data from the originating raw file.Hence the way to view it next to the raw original is to set the sort order to "Filename".
Any file that is created 'now' must always appear at the end of a set of photos if sort order is "Capture Date".
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your logic. But after editing a photo in Photoshop and it is returned to Lightroom and the sort order is thereby changed to Custom Order, when I then choose Capture Time in Lightroom the edited photo from Photoshop then jumps back to the original place in the taken order of the unedited photo. So the issue is that when returning from Photoshop the photo is changing the view order in Lightroom (from Capture Time to Custom Order). Is this a bug in Lightroom. I can’t think of any other explanation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The "Capture Date" for this new image is 'now', this current minute it gets created.

The file creation date is now, but the capture date remains the date of capture.

> So the issue is that when returning from Photoshop the photo is changing the view order in Lightroom (from Capture Time to Custom Order). Is this a bug in Lightroom.

It certainly sounds like a bug, but not being able to reproduce it is a problem. Any chance you can grab a video of your steps so we can figure out what we're doing differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate