• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Fails to import photos and stalls out on macOS 10.15 Catalina

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to import photos from my Nikon D850, Lightroom Classic states it is importing photos but status bar is not progressing and no photos are being imported. Restarted system and program along with camera and still has issue. This is all been occurring with macOS Catalina 10.15.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Setting status

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No corporate IT person would EVER install a ".0" version of an OS on a work computer. I hope that's your "test Mac"? I'm waiting for 10.15.2 or .3, and I was a Mac IT pro for 25 years.

There's no version of Onyx for Catalina yet, otherwise I'd suggest running that when it's available: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you importing Zach? From the hard drive? Or via a card reader? Or direct from the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be an issue with the card reader. it happened to me once. i thought there was a problem with lightroom. Figured out that my card reader was damaged and had been pretty slow. It would just keep hanging. Changed it and everything went fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 of 2
Venting

Why are so many Adobe customers going all first implementer and upgrading to Catalina v1 

Adobe has publicly recommended we do not do this

Various Tech Reporters have recommended waiting. 

Standard industry (I.T.) practice is never ever install v1 on critical computers

Congrats, you are now an Apple Beta round 2 tester

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 of 2
Actual inquiry

1 Photo shoot

Is this particular photo shoot a larger set of photographs to import than normal. Importing 1000 photos takes more time than 200, and the difference may not be linear.

Is this particular photo shoot involving RAW as opposed to in camera JPEG

2. Hard drive space

The hard drive your catalog is on. How much space remains free? Needs to be at least 20%

Did that upgrade eat up lots of start disk space and not free it up after the upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonus inquiry. You “restarted the system and program along along with the camera”

Are you connecting the  camera to the computer to import those photos? 

Try a card reader

Would not be at all surprised if Catalina might have issues with an attached device, in that case your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, not every person is an IT professional or tech-savvy so it should not be an assumption that people should simply "know better". Also, Adobe should send out a newsletter to all its' customers(they have our emails). They published a post on here and of course, only people that are signed up to this forum(if they have notifications turned on) would have seen it. Adobe's communications skills have always been noted for being really bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ended up just being a slow download. All is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right about Adobe's communication skills, Jerry!  But just like you have to be your own medical doctor in this life (with help from real doctors), you have to either be your own IT guy, or HIRE your own real IT guy to help you occasionally, like most companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several mac, all runs OS Catalina.
Lightroom on my Imac will not importing my files and having same problem as Zach.
However on my Macbook Pro 2013 i7 it works..

I hope for a update soon to get it work as before, in meantime I import photos on my Macbook, export them as catalogue, then import them from same catalogue. It worked for me... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Zach above, I updated to OS X 10.15 Catalina and it was a major upgrade requiring over 8GB HD space. It is awful. I use LR Classic Desktop (v.8.4.1) on my MacBook Pro and now, I can no longer preview images when the SD card is inserted and you click 'import'. This issue has never occurred. With trial and error, I found alternative ways to click through and managed to preview the image files. But when you change the SD card, the pathway was lost and I could no longer preview anything making importing impossible.

However, on LR (Cloud version) on my MacBook, preview is possible with exactly the same SD card inserted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, I am subscribed to your work. Please take a look at my comment below. Any advice much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you grab us a screenshot William? I'm particularly interested to know whether the card is selected in the Devices section or the Files section of the Source panel, and whether selecting the other makes a difference for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jens, same question applies. How are you importing? From the hard drive? Or via a card reader? Or direct from the camera?

And how far do you get? Can you see the thumbnails in the import dialog? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useful, thanks. If you open the Untitled volume further down and click on a folder in there, do the thumbnails then show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria, I hope you are able to view the screenshot. I clicked 'device' on the left sidebar but none of the image files are viewable. This has never happened in LR Classic (desktop) till I installed OS X 10.15 Catalina. If i click on 'untitled' at the bottom, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing drops from clicking 'untitled'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long shot, but I wonder if giving the card a name using Finder would make a difference. I'm not updating my mission critical computers to Catalina so I can't check this for myself yet.

It might also be interesting to check with the Apple Image Capture app can see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing from SD-card directly in the computer. Also tried copy files to Imac harddrive and then import, same issue though.. I cannot see thumbnails, and progress bar stop directly. Also Lightroom crashes most of the time..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William, two observations based on your screenshot.

First up, a slightly dated copy of Lightroom Classic? As you can see Devices in the import screen sources, I am thinking not v8 something. Adobe has gotten away from using devices in the import dialog, on purpose. 

Second up, you are in fact selecting from devices, as the highlighted section imply. Instead, find you images thru Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria and David, 

Thank you for your suggestions. For now, I have found another way to preview my RAW files on the inserted SD card in my MacBook Pro. I have to click on the top of the left menu bar FROM 'other' and CHOOSE the folders within the SD card. Then they at least show up under 'untitled' at the bottom of the sidebar. See screenshot. I still have no idea why this is necessary when before OS X Catalina was installed, clicking on DEVICE enabled all images to be previewed and imported if selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated my laptop to Catalina and verified this issue. Thanks for reporting it, I'll file a full bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it mean you also cannot directly preview anything from your SD card when inserted into the MacBook after installing Catalina? I hope Adobe resolves this issue soon, as going round and round eventually being able to preview the unimported files is not really the solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select it from the Files section of the dialog, as you have in your screenshot above, then you can preview them fine (and in my experience, it's the faster import too). It's only an issue when accessing the card as a "device" instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate