• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyboard shortcuts for German broken

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, the shortcuts for German language translation and keyboards is broken.  

Examples for develop module (references taken from Adobe's documentation at https://helpx.adobe.com/de/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html) :

• Cycle through base settings: . / , -> these are mapped to increase/decrease picture rating
  • Brush size: ö / # -> # increases current slide in base settings; ö seems to do nothing
  • Anything using [ / ] -> this doesn't work on German keyboards; no exceptions!

This list continues endlessly. 

@Adobe: Can you please finally implement QA for all languages you deliver your product for? 

Cross post from https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/keyboard-shortcuts-for-german-broken-in-lightroom-c...

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read about problems with non-English keyboards all the time. I don't know if it's gotten worse over the years, or has always been this bad, but it's one of the key reasons I believe it's well past time that kbsc weren't hard-wired. That's SO back in the day of typewriters, not computers.

Give us a default set, fine. But nothing hard-wired. Let us change any of it to suit ourselves, our own workflows, our own languages. And give us an interface like you see in PP to see what is in use, what is available, depending upon whatever workspace (if there are multiple workspaces) we're in. I think we're past the point of "fixing" it by tinkering with bits and pieces of it—because every new kbsc they come up with for some new feature is going to break in some localized version, or break someone's workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any news about this issue?
Is it possible to define the shortcuts yourself?

Edit: Found a solution: In the file "translatedstrings*" I can edit the shortcuts. Is there a possibility that they will be kept during an update? Otherwise they are always gone 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't offer a convenient user interface for defining shortcuts. You can change many shortcuts (inconveniently) by editing the TranslatedStrings.txt file:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

The Keyboard Tamer plugin makes it easier for you to do that editing.

Unfortunately, many LR shortcuts are (unbelievably) hardwired into the code, including the ones the original post in this topic complains about.

Users have been asking to customize keyboard shortcuts since LR 1, and it's one of the most popular feature requests here. In that feature request I made a detailed proposal for how Adobe could incrementally improve the situation at low cost:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/custom_keyboard_shortcuts_in_lightroom?topic-...

You might add your constructive opinion to that feature request and add your Vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answer john!

Are the shortcuts in the file "transletedstrings" hardcoded?

Now one more question: Will my adjustments in the file (“transletedstrings”) remain even after an update? Or do I have to insert them again? Have you already gained experience with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Will my adjustments in the file (“transletedstrings”) remain even after an update?"

No, the TranslatedStrings file gets overwritten by each update, so you'll have to save away your edits in a separate file in your home directory. The Keyboard Tamer plugin remembers your shortcut edits, so you can just rerun the plugin after each new release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a ton of different Articles relating to Keyboard Shortcuts, is that so difficult to get Fixed ?
On my Germany Keyboard lots of the Shortcuts are totaly Different to what the helpfile says, and some i cannot figure out at all.
Shortcuts for speedy developing in the main developing-tools-window   #/- ( indrease/decrease) are only accesible via + (scrooling through the tools) in one Direction ( downwards)? is there no Shortcut to go the other direction (upwards) as well ?  so if i want to togle betwen contrast and brightness, i allways have to go through ALL the tools till i get there again??

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the lines in TranslatedStrings_Lr_de_DE.txt that specify the shortcuts for selecting the next and previous sliders in the Basic panel and incrementing and decrementing the slider values:

"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/decrementTargetAdjustmentValue=-"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/decrementTargetAdjustmentValueAlt=_"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/incrementTargetAdjustmentValue=#"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/incrementTargetAdjustmentValueAlt='"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/resetTargetAdjustment=;"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/targetNextAdjustment=+"
"$$$/AgDevelop/KBSC/targetPreviousAdjustment="

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here for how to edit TranslatedStrings.txt: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a ticket into Documentation to get the German Short Cuts reviewed. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the help you Provided John. After fuzzing around a little bit, i finaly got it working. Nevertheless asking myself how adobe is not able to set an internship on this task, if even i am able to do so.... and normaly Computers crash if i try to alter something  bejond UI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just activated my LR+PS subscription using an (US) English macOS and a German Keyboard Layout (DE). Neither in LR Classic nor in LR, Keyboard shortcuts work as expected. Most of them do not work at all. This is really annoying. I tried the German ones from the official documentation as well es the English ones. In fact I tested key by key what would happen. It seems to be all over the place. So has there been any progress made within LR code? Or is it still only workarounds that are available? This thread is already a couple of years old, but there still seem to be issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"using an (US) English macOS and a German Keyboard Layout (DE). Neither in LR Classic nor in LR, Keyboard shortcuts work as expected."

Can you give a couple of examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, following some examples (using the LR Classic Table provided by Adobe for German) in the Develop Module. 

• Increase/decrease brush size (Ö/#) - Nothing happens, feedback sound
  • Increase/decrease brush feathering ( Shift + Ö / Shift + #) - Nothing happens, feedback sound
  • Auto Tone (Command + I) - Invokes the Show Info field (in fact the English Menu Command). Using the English Command + U would invoke correctly Auto Tone
  • Toggle Mask between Edit and Brush modes when the Graduated Filter or Radial Filter is selected (Shift + T) - Invokes Magnifying Glass Pointer and Upright Module
  • Rotate photo right (clockwise) (Command + .) - Nothing happens, no feedback sound
  • Rotate photo right (counrterclockwise) (Command + ,) - Opens the Settings Panel (in fact the English Menu Command).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"using an (US) English macOS and a German Keyboard Layout (DE)"

Those examples strongly suggest LR is running in English rather than German. By default, LR will choose the language in which the operating system is configured. What is the setting of Preferences > General > Language?  It's that setting, rather than the keyboard, that determines which shortcuts LR uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I wrote. I am using an English language macOS with a German Keyboard layout. The problem is that LR has issues with the mapping. If it would consistently map the shortcuts it would be workable, except it does not. E.g. on an English keyboard the bracktets [ / ] are the same place as Ü / +. It would not accept those and it would neither accept the German brackets keycombo (option + 5 and option + 6). So sometimes it seems to pick (most) times the English, sometimes the German and sometimes no mapping at all ... Other software applications are perfectly able to handle such a setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question about the setting of LR's Preferences > General > Language in your LR, so I'll assume it's set to English. The situation is not exactly as you wrote: When LR is set to use English, it *always* uses the English shortcuts. 

So, for example, Auto Tone in English is Cmd U.  

But as you've discovered, LR does have long-standing bugs with keyboard shortcuts requiring the use of Opt or Alt Gr on non-English keyboards. In German and French, that includes [ ] { } \.  So with a German keyboard with LR running in English, LR won't recognize Cmd Opt 5 (Cmd [) as the shortcut for Rotate Left.

If you want to use LR in English (with English shortcuts) with a German keyboard,  the workaround is to change those problem shortcuts to use keystrokes that work (e.g. the keystrokes assigned when LR is running in German).  You can change the shortcuts by editing the TranslatedStrings file or by using the Any Shortcut plugin.

You can find a comprehensive listing of LR keyboard shortcuts for any language here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

The Adobe Help listings are incomplete and contain errors.

"Toggle Mask between Edit and Brush modes when the Graduated Filter or Radial Filter is selected (Shift + T)"

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. In both English and German, Shift T will invoke Transform > Guided Upright unless you have the Healing tool open, in which case it cycles between Content-Aware Remove, Heal, and Clone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you johnrellis for the comment! It really helps me to understand at least some of the issues and possible solutions.

You are completely right. It is regrettable that Adobe is not able to provide a proper documentation. I copied and pasted the “Toggle … (Shift +T)” from here. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html , https://helpx.adobe.com/de/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html

Regarding the question. Yes, LrC was set to English. I gave it a try and switched LRC to German and tested some of the German commands that I mentioned above. It is indeed the “problem” shortcuts causing issues, as the (Ö / #) would also not (!) work for brush size/feathering. But with The Lightroom Queen PDF link you provided, I was corrected that (, / .) would do the brackets [ / ] job when LRC set to German. Now I have to find a way to adjust brush size/feathering with the English macOS/LR plus German keyboard setup because none of the shortcuts I tested would invoke brush size/feathering. Unfortunately, it seems that neither TranslatedStrings nor macOS Shortcuts will be of help for this “problem” key combo. Maybe the community has some insights? As a workaround, I figured that I could work with a Logitech MX mouse instead of a trackpad and use the scroll wheel to change the brushsize and feathering.

As I said, I recently subscribed to LR. I did use it a couple of years ago, but have been editing with Capture One as my main tool since. So I am “relearning” LRC. Speeding up things with shortcuts turned out to be a bit more challenging than just “learning” the LrC shortcuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate