• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Applying develop preset to multiple images transfer all settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a preset for sharpening. When I select multiple images and apply this develop preset there is a weird behaviour. The preset is applied but also all other images get develop settings from the active image in the selection.

This started happening in 10.4. I use this regularly and it never behaved like this.

test_preset-67003eb1-7c3e-4b02-adc3-7a1fca6e16f0-248961127.pngtest_preset-67003eb1-7c3e-4b02-adc3-7a1fca6e16f0-248961127.png

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3,1GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 49076,1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 49076,1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 4036,5 MB (8,2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5463,4 MB
GDI objects count: 818
USER objects count: 2310
Process handles count: 3956
Memory cache size: 3950,8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 924MB / 24538MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 932MB / 49076MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: Radeon RX 580 Series (27.20.22001.14011)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Settings status to Acknowledged

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
107 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest checking to see if 'Auto Sync' is switched on but that would mean that you've intentionally selected multiple images and subsequently switched on(maybe by accident) Auto Sync. What it seems like you're saying though, is that other photos are being selected without user input? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jerry_Syder

Nope, I selected all images on purpose (as I want to do something with preset on all of them). 

Auto sync is always on for me. If I select multiple images I always want to do changes on all of them.

Problem is with presets and applying them on multiple images. They just copy all settings  from the active image (by active image i mean the one displayed) regardless of what is set in the preset.

As can be seen in the screenshot I included. Before applying preset, each image looks differently. When I apply the preset (with only sharpening set) all images looks same now. What happens is that all settings from the active photo is transfered to every selected photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would probably be prudent to reset your preference file to ensure we aren't dealing with a preferences corruption.

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

If you still see the behavior after resetting preferences can you please record step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue and post it here?

Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Installed LRc on another PC (LR was never there) so I suppose it's as clean as it gets. Behaves the same.

Steps (in develop):

1) create develop preset with one thing selected (sharpening only, for example)

2) find some images, at least two. Edit them so they are visibly different (so you can spot the change), i did one with blue white balance and one with visible crop

3) select all images 

4) ensure sync is set to "Auto Sync"

5) apply the preset

Expected behaviour would be the sharpening is set to all selected images.

Real behaviour (in LRc 10.4) is that all images will get ALL settings from the active image (the image visible in develop window)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the behavior. Thank you for the repeatable steps. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an extremely frustrating bug in LR Classic 10.4 where, if I have auto sync enabled, and I make a change to the current photo, it syncs ALL of the settings to the other selected photos. In other words, if I adjust the white balance, it not only syncs WB to the other photso but also crop, exposure, etc. It's basically making auto sync unusable. I closed and restarted LR but it's still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is weird and even crazy hope it gets sorted out ASAP. I will make a test on a small group of images.

Does this happen to everyone or is it random?

Only when using a preset?

On both Mac and Win OS?

Does it get sorted by a preferences reset?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing any problem on my OS with respect to the auto-sync.

When you select multiple images and turn on the auto-sync remember to turn it off when you have completed the task, before you select a single image. If you do not do this auto-sync will become active automatically when you select multiple images again.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My test (in 2nd link) was to pick three images that were of the same scene, just so I could easily see differences. Selected three images that had no edits. Selected just the first image, I moved the exposure slider full right, crazy over exposure, then I selected all three, First image most selected, turned Auto Sync on,  went and selected a B&W preset. As expected, all three turned B&W, not as expected, all three were over exposed. Looked at History panel, first image had the exposure slider noted, and the preset noted, other two, just the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD, Ok I am seeing exactly what you indicate. However if I click the Black & White in the color setting from the Basic panel it functions properly. The use of a Preset is messing up the process!

Wow this needs to get fixed. ASAP.

Maybe avoid using a Preset with auto-sync could be a workaround.

Have you tried going back to a previous version to see if it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was just doing that test to help another member. Was trying to understand issue.

I absolutely detest using presets. Especially artistic presets, as in someone else's process. Normally I use exactly one preset, Zeroed. Two things I accomplish at Import, rename photos to YYYMMDD_hhmmss, and Zeroed. (to eliminate Adobe's obsession with default sharpening at beginning of edits)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree I have never used presets via auto-sync but do not know if it should work.  Obviously Rick thinks it a bug. This is something that need attention, I have seen users getting “stung” with auto-sync being applied across their full Catalog working in the Total pictures folder.

Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I used the B&W  preset as to accomplish something obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before 10.4 it was possible to apply a preset to multiple selected photos with just one click (with Auto-Sync was activated). Since 10.4 this action will not only apply the preset but as well all other settings that were done to the first selected picture (even if they have nothing to do with the preset).

Any idea how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, known issue, now working it's way up the Adobe chain.

/edit/ links deleted, merge of various posts make them circular, pointing to this very post

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround while awaiting the fix: Go to Library Grid view (g). Select the desired photos and then apply the preset using the Saved Preset menu in the Quick Develop panel in the right column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing a similar issue in LR Classic 10.4 that sounds related.  I have presets for individual settings like shadows and highlights and if I apply one of those to an image and then make additional changes to that same image like cropping which I dont have a preset for and then go to a second image and chose one of the same presets that I chose for the first image it will then apply all of the changes I made to the first image, not just the preset value.  I have rolled back to 10.3 and the issue is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post Merged

---------------------

Release 10.4; Win 10.  When I apply a user reset, the result is either the uncropped version of the previous picture or the last edit of the current picture.  Definitely a bug because did not occur in any previous release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is investigating this bug.  While waiting for a fix, see this workaround using the Quick Develop panel:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-applying-develop-preset-to... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest lightroom has an annoying bug.

You do a preset for  only sharpness / denoising.
In previous versions, photos were selected and the preset worked on all selected photos.

Now the preset, apart from its own parameters, changes everything in the photos. WB, Exp, just like the preset works like auto sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which "latest Lightroom" version do you mean? Please clarify, as versions are constantly changing. It always helps to let us know your system type and OS version as well. 

Also, please explain the process you used for creating and applying the preset, so we can have some clues as to what may be happening. 

Finally, can you post the preset file here for examination? Presets are just text-based XML lists of settings to be applied, so it will be interesting to see if your preset includes more than just noise reduction and sharpness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing here appears to be communicated what is reported as a bug in the thread at the link attached.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-applying-develop-preset-to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I notice a problem with copying the settings when the automatic synchronisation in the Development module is activated.
Usually, when I selected multiple photos and enabled automatic sync of development settings, the changes I made to the selected photo were automatically applied to the other photos. Previous changes were not normally copied.
Since a few days, if I activate the automatic synchronization and I use a preset (whatever it is), all the settings of the first photo are applied to the others selected. For example, if I apply a lens correction preset that only affects the "Lens corrections" panel, it will also change the white balance, exposure, highlights, shadows etc. using the settings of the selected photo. More surprisingly, if the white balance is set to "As shot", it will change the white balance of the other photos but it will still show "As shot" even if the value has changed.
Can you tell me if this is a bug in the last update?

Votes

Translate

Translate