• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Applying develop preset to multiple images transfer all settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a preset for sharpening. When I select multiple images and apply this develop preset there is a weird behaviour. The preset is applied but also all other images get develop settings from the active image in the selection.

This started happening in 10.4. I use this regularly and it never behaved like this.

test_preset-67003eb1-7c3e-4b02-adc3-7a1fca6e16f0-248961127.pngtest_preset-67003eb1-7c3e-4b02-adc3-7a1fca6e16f0-248961127.png

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3,1GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 49076,1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 49076,1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 4036,5 MB (8,2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5463,4 MB
GDI objects count: 818
USER objects count: 2310
Process handles count: 3956
Memory cache size: 3950,8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 924MB / 24538MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 932MB / 49076MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: Radeon RX 580 Series (27.20.22001.14011)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Settings status to Acknowledged

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
107 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Grinnin Barrett, it's important to be aware when you use “auto-sync” it only functions when you have multiple images selected.

However if you do not deselect it when you have finished using it, then when you next select multiple images, guess what, it's active again.

If you are not aware then “gotchya”, what the f**.

I am aware the sync function and auto-sync function, are applied differently.

Sync, copies absolute settings from a specific image to several target images.

Auto-Sync, applies every edit function you perform to all the targeted images, when you decide to include a third party user preset to me becomes complicated. What’s included in the preset?

So is every edit from the original image applied, plus the individual functions from the preset?

That is what I experience on my system, if that is not what should be happening it's a bug, and needs to be rectified ASAP!!!

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis.

I don't know why most of this thread is about selecting multiple images and auto syncing them. 

My issue is with ONE image. I selected two images to see if auto sync was on. It wasn't. 

Again, applying the preset to ONE image causes Lightroom to crop and tilt the image that can only be reversed by going to history and stepping back a step.

Again, ONE image.

All the preset does is:

crs:Texture="+3"
crs:Clarity2012="+3"
crs:Dehaze="+3"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted on this thread because I'm seeing similar behaviour - apply a preset to one image, and it crops and rotates 1.3º. Not always though, sometimes it doesn't, and the preset that results in this behaviour isn't consistent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Grinnin Barrett, So you select a single image and apply a specific preset and a crop and or tilt is applied to the image? Can you share an image file and the preset that shows that behaviour?

Just a thought, have you imported an image that was used in Adobe Camera Raw that might have edits applied to an xmp sidecar that would have been applied at import to LrC?

I am grabbing at straws here?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't know why most of this thread is about selecting multiple images and auto syncing them."

There's a bug with applying a preset with Auto Sync -- all of the settings of the source photo get copied to the target photos, not just the preset's settings.  This bug is easy to reproduce, and Adobe has acknowledged it.

Now there are two reports here of different symptoms: Applying a preset to a single image changes the crop settings.  It would be good to come up with precise steps to reproduce this in other LR instances.  Without such a recipe, Adobe is unlikely to pay much attention.

Some next steps for both of you:

1. Does the problem occur when you apply the preset  in Library grid view using the Quick Develop panel's Saved Preset menu?

2. Do Help > System Info and copy/paste the first ten lines here.

3. Right-click the preset in the Presets panel and do Show In Finder / Explorer.  Edit the selected .xmp file in Textedit or Notepad.  Copy/paste the entire contents of the .xmp file here.

4. What type of photo are you applying the preset to?  Raw, DNG, JPEG, TIFF, PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

For some reason when I have multiple pictures highlighted and autosync turned on it is changing the crop on all pictures when I pick ANY preset I have saved.

So if I have gone through and fix the crop on all the pictures, I then highlight them all and pick a preset for them (ones I've used for years and never had this problem) it is then changing the crop on all the pictures to be the same as the "main picture" I'm clicked on.

It's just started doing this today for no reason at all. I guess I've accidently turned on a setting but I don't know how to turn it off.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug which has been acknowledged by Adobe. Best not to activate “Auto-Sync” and to use the Sync (copy paste). Hopefully a fix will be available soon.

The bug relates to all the settings from the source image being applied to the target images. Fixing the crop may not rectify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! It was driving me crazy and thought it was something I did wrong. Glad it's not just me and hope it gets fixed soon. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your Auto-Sync not active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy workaround while awaiting the fix: Go to Library Grid view (g). Select the desired photos and then apply the preset using the Saved Preset menu in the Quick Develop panel in the right column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

1. The problem doesn't seem to appear when applying the preset from Quick Develop. 

Language setting: en-NZ
Operating system: Mac OS 11
Version: 11.6.0 [20G165]
Logical processor count: 6
Processor speed: 3.7GHz
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c140 79.160451, 2017/05/06-01:08:21 ">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<rdf:Description rdf:about=""
xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"
crs:PresetType="Normal"
crs:Cluster=""
crs:UUID="CB61F1B813814798AECFE5455785C863"
crs:SupportsAmount="False"
crs:SupportsColor="True"
crs:SupportsMonochrome="True"
crs:SupportsHighDynamicRange="True"
crs:SupportsNormalDynamicRange="True"
crs:SupportsSceneReferred="True"
crs:SupportsOutputReferred="True"
crs:CameraModelRestriction=""
crs:Copyright=""
crs:ContactInfo=""
crs:Version="13.3"
crs:Sharpness="80"
crs:SharpenRadius="+0.8"
crs:SharpenDetail="15"
crs:SharpenEdgeMasking="0"
crs:HasSettings="True">
<crs:Name>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">080 00</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</crs:Name>
<crs:ShortName>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default"/>
</crs:ShortName>
<crs:SortName>
</crs:SortName>
<crs:Group>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">03 Sharpening</rdf:li>
</crs:Group>
<crs:Description>
</crs:Description>
</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

4. Editing raw images, sometimes the original file, sometimes a smart preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote “ 1. The problem doesn't seem to appear when applying the preset from Quick Develop. “

Very interesting, I have not personally explored using “Auto-Sync” in Quick Develop in the Library Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As expected, there's nothing distinguished about that preset. I can use it to provoke the bug using Auto Sync, but when I don't use Auto Sync, the bug doesn't occur for me.

"The problem doesn't seem to appear when applying the preset from Quick Develop."

This suggests your symptoms are also caused by the same bug.  LR 11 will be out in a couple of weeks, and let's hope they fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 10.4

Windows 10 Home version 2004

I am having a problem with the Autosync function which when I use it to apply a preset  keeps resetting any crops I have performed.

I normally use the Autosync at the beginning of developing a batch, and before any cropping has been done so have never seen this before. 

Today after processing a number of images including croppng  I wanted to apply a Colour Grading preset across the batch, but when I used it I noticed that all the crops had been reset. My first thought was that the preset had  inadevertently included a crop setting, but it doesn't. In fact I remade the preset to be sure. I also tested using numerous other presets, including a number of the ones installed recently as part of an update. Results were the same. Whenever I  use Autosync with a preset any crops are resets.

The History for any Autosynced images just shows the preset as applied. If you toggled between the preset and the previous action you can see the preset and the crop reset being undone and then applied

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known bug acknowledged by Adobe. A workaround while awaiting the fix: Go to Library Grid view (g). Select the desired photos and then apply the preset using the Saved Preset menu in the Quick Develop panel in the right column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When, for example I highlight an image and multiple other images to apply a simple property change such as a curve, noise reduction, or exposure with a preset, Lightroom performs the preset but ADDITIONALLY changes all of the highlighted images to match those of the highlighted image. The cropping, colour/B&W setting and every other property of the highlighted images is transferred to those additional images. This of course renders the whole concept of the Autosync function pointless with respect to presets. I would add that this does not occur if you manually make the changes to the highlighted image, in which case autosync performs as it should. 

This is a function that I use regularly to batch edit noise reduction at the end of an editing session and you can imagine my horror at finding hours of work destroyed by this anomoly. My only option was to revert countless images using the history panel!

Does anyone else experienced this anomoly and have any suggestions of how to overcome it please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug. It's applying the preset that does this, not the autosync:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-applying-develop-preset-to...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround while awaiting the bug fix: Go to Library Grid view (g). Select the desired photos and then apply the preset using the Saved Preset menu in the Quick Develop panel in the right column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i am having the exact same problem, i have an edited cropped image, then i right click to select virtual copy, the vitrual copy is created and it is cropped the same as the orginal, then i add my black and white preset, and as the preset is applied to the vitural copy the cropping seems to have a mind of its own, some have even made up its own crop that is nothing like the original or it reverts back to the uncropped original image, i have restarted lightroom classic, and started again and it may not replicate the first time but it will after one or two successful goes. has there been any resolution or solution for this, as i have a huge backlog and cant afford the extra time editing please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First troubleshooting steps:

1. Do the menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the first ten lines here.

2. Select several photos and go into Develop.  Is the menu item Settings > Enable Auto Sync checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Language setting: en-AU
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.14.6 [18G9323]
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.2GHz
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Using Lightroom Classic

under develop tab, under settings enable auto sync not ticked.

thanks so much for helping. i usually create a virtual copy of a photo manually then apply a black and white preset, the vitrual copy is cropped as per original, but when i apply the preset the cropping either reverts back to as shot, or it has been actually making up its own crops, one photo wasnt cropped then i created the vitrual copy then applied the preset and it actually cropped it despite the original photo not having any cropping applied. its very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do edit weekly and this problem has only just started this week, maybe randomly on last edit at end of last week but todays edit seems to be doing it more frequently, shutting down back up and restart seems to fix temp, but it is very frustrating and taking a lot of time

Votes

Translate

Translate