• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom no longer accepts a dot in the catalog filename.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly use the 'export this folder as a catalog' feature to make catalog backups of certain subsets of my pictures. My naming convention has always been in the form of YYYMMDD.HHmm

With LightroomCC version 2015/9 (OS X version) I noticed that Lightroom now truncates the catalog name used after the dot, so it becomes 'YYYYMMDD'. This also happens when creating a new catalog through the File->New Catalog menu.

Is there a reason that this restriction on the catalog name has been introduced?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017
Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017
This is a known issue. We are currently working on a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue. We are currently working on a fix. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dot in file name usually seperate the file name from extention (.lrcat), right?. Why not use _ or - in stead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I'll await an update then :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An extension is just a representation/interpretation of the given filename. Nothing more than making it easier for us humans to have an idea what a file contains, without having to look at the contents.

Sure, I could use some other separator. Point is there is no technical reason for the software to have this behaviour. Dots are a valid character in filenames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reasons are not technical. Everyone is free to prefer his own code. But language (and characters) imply that you can be understood by others; there must be a minimum set of rules like spelling, punctuation, even common usage for SMS language.
Use of the dot character has been reserved for separating extensions since more than 30 years, the @ has a common meaning for anybody. Older users of computers and programmers have been taught to only use underscore or hyphens in file names or naming computer entities.
You are right that there is no technical reason in this case (since Rick Flohr admits it...), but the world is divided in two categories:
- those who are right to think there is no technical reasons; they will have problems some days...
- those who follow the good old rules; they'll never be bothered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Michel, I also use date-time filenames, but I separate the date and time with a dash. It's been the convention for many, many years that . is used for separating the filename from the extension. It's a good convention that most computer users and programmers know about, so why do away with it because you don't want to observe the convention.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Michael and Bob here. It would be surprising if Lightroom deliberately allowed this naming practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never name with a dot. Too old-school, I guess. But if you use the Finder's own Compress feature on a file with filename.jpg, or similar, it will be filename.jpg.zip. It's been doing this for a very long time. So it is perfectly legal, even if it bothers me to see it. Lightroom should allow as legal what Apple says is legal, imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but no. It's not a 'rule', and never has been on anything younger than MS-DOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can read in my original post, Lightroom did allow this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't doubt you, but it might have been an oversight or bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call it as you like.
As we say here:
"C'est vous qui voyez...
Y'en a qui ont essayé.
Ils ont eu des problèmes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Lightroom should follow generally-accepted, cross-platform best practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, it looks like it's fixed. Thanks!

Votes

Translate