• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR4 extremely slow web module gallery building

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom V4 web module is extremely slow. I am using TTG CE2 components and compared with LR 3 which was not very swift, LR4 is painfully slow at building and exporting gallery and pages components.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012
We just released a second RC version of Lightroom 4.1, available at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li... .

This issue is fixed in the new RC build.

Votes

Translate

Translate
95 Comments
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem - it takes around 29 seconds to export each 5DII image. However, when running two gallery builds in parallel, it still takes 29 seconds for each image in each gallery. Therefore, it does 2 builds in almost the same time as it does 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guy who programs the TTG stuff, when asked why his software was now so slow, said something like "Lightroom has to check a lot of things each time you refresh the view (of changes to his plugin settings that affect galleryj-building and formatting)". Well, didn't it have all those things to check when it was LR3? I think we may still find that TTG CE2 stuff is slow after whatever gets fixed here. Maybe not, but I don't think that the 20-30 second rebuilds that we now get in making changes to TTG CE2 galleries, web pages and gallery indexes is just LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, this hasn't been an issue of rebuilds. I've not really noticed too much of a difference in that. Where the slow down occurs is upon Export when the engine gets to processing the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reported this in a separate issues - Lightroom 4: web module is not working
I cannot even upload any gallery - the upload gets cut off half way through...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I Export and then upload via FTP. Matt at The Turning Gate has commented many times on the buggy upload feature and recommends not using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running LR4 on 64 bit VISTA with a second monitor.
Veryyyyyy slow in Develop, especially sliders.
LR3 was quick as was PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webgallery in Lightroom is indeed too slow to work with... Making the same web gallery in Bridge is so much faster...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOu would think that the gurus would have tested this a little more. Maybe the "rush to market" overloaded their good sense. Inexcusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow Slow Slow!
If you are a professional: its useless!
I tried to process a whole wedding here. About 1.500 images.
It took me about threetimes longer than with LR 3.6

I upgraded to LR 4.1 Release Candidate.
The develop module got slightly better. But still: e.g. cropping takes way too long.
Plus: creating a webgallery takes forever: 250 images takes more than 3 hours!!
LR 3.6 takes like 15 minutes or so.

LR 4 is NOT for pros!
Do something Adobe and do it quick, please!
Cheers.
Dan
_____

OS X 10.7.3.
2.66 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding this too (and finding it very frustrating)

FWIW MacBookPro i7, 8G Ram, Apple 256G SSD
two MacPros 6 core, 16G ram, two 256G SSD's, one for OS the other for cache

The web module is now unbelievably slow, much slower than the already slow 3.6

Why can't LR build websites from the preview files already created? Why does it need to refer back to the RAW files? The previews are already so much bigger than required for a website and adjusted to my satisfaction what is the benefit of returning to huge raw files?

Which leads onto the second question as to why LR can't generate Preview files continuously in the background? It always seems clumsy that once I have finished my adjustments I have to return to the Library module once again to render them out once more.

Cheers, Douglas

https://www.piranhaphotography.com>Douglas Fry<br />https://www.piranhaphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I generated an html website from the same images from this mornings shoot,181 images shot on Canon 1D MK IV's

PhotoMechanic took 40 seconds on my laptop
Lightroom 4.1RC took nearly 35 minutes on the same laptop

yes you read that right

OK the LR templates are more attractive and less 'functional' than the PM version but still they are just vanilla html

https://www.piranhaphotography.com>Douglas Fry<br />https://www.piranhaphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, Douglas. I've often wondered why LR doesn't update previews in the background and your solution for speeding gallery builds makes good sense to me. I have also used Photo Mechanic to create galleries to include features LR doesn't' - like labeling thumbnails with file names, and for speed. It certainly appears that LR4 was rushed to market and still lacks features and enhancements that a mature product should have addressed. Whatever improvements Adobe made to this application have been completely negated by the issues addressed here and elsewhere in this forum. My confidence in this company is seriously on the wane...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started this topic and have watched it closely since then. I am disappointed that it does not seem to have been addressed in 4.1RC, I thought I had understood that Adobe had managed to reproduce the slowness and were going to attend to it! . I would be happy if the performance that 3.6 provided on exporting galleries was restored, whist it wa not very quick it was a lot more acceptable than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit OT but the same issue is true of the Slideshow Module, my doomed shoot from this morning requires a slideshow, and the same 181 images have been exporting as a slideshow now for over an hour and only 2/3 done, what on earth is it doing?. Just use the previews please, they are more than enough for a slideshow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@douglas
An option to choose what to use would be even better Preview or RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes an option would be fine, although I'm not sure why you would prefer to re render the RAW file, it won't look any different to the preview, why would it?

LR just has to resize the jpg used for the preview to 450 pixels wide (in my case) then generate the html pages, which it does currently very rapidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's improvements in the release candidate have allowed me to use it for development in a reasonable workflow. My situation may be different than those of others. My last shoot was 1500 shots a a small-college hockey arena which had 40 lights in a grid above the ice. Some of the lamps were fluorescent, some were incandescent. As well, the windows at the arena let in varying amounts of light all day, and into different places on the ice.

So I develop like crazy and it has to be at least close to real-time input response.

Exporting topics have centered on gallery exports being slow. Heck, ANY export is slow. Export two RAW files to TIFF on disc and count the seconds.

Hope this improves, or this won't be a practical cataloging and editing tool for mid- to high-volume photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, just as a suggestion, have you tried shooting everything under such lighting conditions at a specific colour balance? Set the camera onto 'fluorescent' colour balance and shoot away. Yes some will look funky on the back of the screen, but when you set 'fluorescent' in LR and sync them all you will get a better result much quicker (colour wise)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Using a MacPro tower and Lightroom 4 it takes about 4 times longer to make a web gallery than in Lightroom 3?
Why and how can this be sped up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping the 4.1 RC would address this but it doesn't seem to. Web gallery builds are still slow, s l o w , s l o w
(actually, the image processing part of the gallery export is slow, the rest seems pretty quick)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using WIN7 LR4 with 16g ram. When trying to process images in the develop module it takes many many many seconds for the sliders to "catch up' and then if you switch to another slider it takes many many many more seconds for that one. I am using the 'live' version. It almost looks like we all will have to go back to LR 3.6. While many of the new features are nice and some are valuable the performance is to unbelievably poor that one wonders what has happened to the brains behind LR4???? Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only the export are slow, but the updating of previews are slow as Hxxx too...
Even if only 4 pict in gallery...

insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here using TTG. Because of this and other "acknowledged" issues, which BTW still are not fixed, I've reverted to 3.6. I can be patient up to a point, but if Adobe continues to remain SILENT regarding their progress the next step will be to request a refund for 4.0.

C' on man, lets keep your customers in the loop. Silence is not the way!

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is targeted to be addressed in the final release of 4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate