My system has worked perfectly for many years, but I’m encountering strange issues on import in Lr Classic that have recently plagued me.
When importing via a plugged in thunderbolt cable into my R5s:
- image previews no longer load into the thumbnails, or will load dramatically slower and one at a time. (Whereas they used to snap into each empty thumbnail cells immediately)
- sometimes it will show no photos to import (which was frightening the first few times to see). I’ll cancel and reopen the import prompt which usually works after the second or third try.
- sometimes import window will show photos from other shoot days but not my most recent images. I’ll cancel the import prompt and reopen. Often it’ll all load in after a few tries.
- If I get through these issues, the most difficult part is actually importing. Import can take 5 minutes before starting, if I’m lucky. (It used to start within 10 seconds.) Two out of three times the import completely fails to start.
- This seems to happen with all three of my Canon R5s
- I’m encountering this issue on my Mac Studio running Ventura 13.3.1
- My Lr Classic (v. 12.3) catalogues and previews are stored on my internal HD
- My photos are stored on a 70TB OWC Thunderbay. (I switched from Drobo 8D fairly recently)
- The same R5 and imported photos load like normal on my MBP when imported.
- This is happening with multiple LrC catalogues
- This issue started happening for a few weeks, prior to updating to the latest Lr Classic
Since this issue is happening with multiple catalogs and cameras, I was thinking it was either with my Mac Studio that stores the catalogues, or my OWC Thunderbay external since it stores the photos. However since this issue seems to happen before I technically need to select the destination drive, now I’m thinking the issue is my computer where Lr is running.
Could this be a RAM problem? Has anyone encountered this issue before?
Any ideas based are greatly appreciated since importing after a shoot has gone from taking 10 minutes of my times to 2 hrs. Hopefully this can help others too.