Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: massive performance issues on HDR/dng files

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

during the last days I created about 50 HDR/dng files (Canon 5D3, 3 images merged) using the new LR CC HDR Merge function.

Now, after the merge, when I edit the dng file (22 MPixel, 85 MB) LR slows down extremely.

The main performance issue is not changing the sliders but waiting until the image is rerendered!

After a development change it takes often 10-20 (!) seconds until the image is rendered.

In library module, mostly I have to wait 20 to 40 seconds until a preview is rendered.

Often I wait forever and the preview is NOT rendered. Then I have to restart LR and then again have to wait 20-40 seconds until the image is rendered.

During rendering about 50% of a i7-3770 CPU (i.e. 2 cores are fully loaded!) are used. Sometimes the CPU load goes up to 100% (i.e. 4 cores are used!) during rendering the image.

Below is an example of the load while rendering a preview for more than 2 minutes.

The worst case is using the compare mode in library module. When comparing 2 HDR/dng files, I have to wait sometime 60+ seconds until both previews are rendered.

This is an unacceptable waste of my working time!

I would like to edit images and I do NOT like to wait 20 to 40 seconds VERY OFTEN until the image is rendered and until I can continue to edit the image.

Please investigate this strange behaviour!

Manfred

BTW: I use a NEC 30 inch display with 2560x1600px. Performance issues are independant if I enable/disable GPU support.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload one of your slow HDR DNGs to www.dropbox.com and post a public share/download link, here, and I'll see how it works on my computer?

I have an i7-4770 3.4GHz but only a 1680x1050 monitor.

Do you have a separate video card or is it built into the CPU?

Do things work faster if you make the LR window 1/4th of the screen size rather than maximized?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Here is a link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...

Below you will find some info about my hardware as well as my catalog / preview settings.

>Do things work faster if you make the LR window 1/4th of the screen size rather than maximized?

Unfortunately not, independent if GPU support is enabled and disabled.

BTW: both my catalog and my previews reside on a SSD. And (for performance reasons!) I do not use my second 24 inch monitor when using LR.

Manfred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some weirdness with the HDR dng. Need some investigation. Thanks for reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU on/off does not matter if you're in the library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
On my 16GB, i7-4770 3.4GHz, GeForce GTX 645 1GB, Acer 1680x1050, 1TB HD system I don't see as much slowdown as you describe. Maybe a second or two or three when I first open LR on a folder, but I only have one monitor instead of two and mine is much smaller than either of yours.

When you see your slowdown are the three dots gone from all your HDRs or could LR still be loading up previews in the background and making things slower for the foreground image?

Since you have two monitors and 3 video cards (according to your system info) I wonder if LR is confused about whether and how to use the GPU. The fact CPU is being used no matter whether you have the GPU on or off is suspicious at least if you are in the Develop module.

Watch when you switch to an image and look at the right of the toolbar below the main image area, first I see a Loading... batch over the image, then I see a dashed-circle rotating at the right of the toolbar. The latter seems to occur while the image is somewhat blurred until it is sharp, again. I only see it when I have the GPU enabled, so I assume there is some correlation to GPU usage occurring.

Look for that when you have the GPU enabled and if you don't see it that would indicate the GPU is not being used.
--
I see you have replies from an Adobe employee so maybe someone will be able to determine what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate