• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Multiple dng files from conversion

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After conversion of tiffs to dngs, I have multiple dngs!!!

Here's the details...

After importing a series of tiff images, I converted the tiffs into Adobe dngs files.  After restasrting LR 7.5, I find that I have multiple dngs!?!   At least three (3)!

RackMultipart20180923119611uam-41da220c-d5dc-419d-8671-64c1f2fb9990-2084187727.pngRackMultipart20180923119611uam-41da220c-d5dc-419d-8671-64c1f2fb9990-2084187727.png

Really?  Seriously?

My Finder does not show these duplicates as actually existing.  So where in the heck did they come from?

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
57 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not at all what we were arguing about. We were arguing about converting TIFFs to DNG. That's over with, dmeephd can't accept that his question about conversion just caused multiple people here to question what and why he was doing what he said he's doing. 

The question I asked and he answered was elsewhere from those debates. The problem appears to be simply what was asked first:
I converted the tiffs into Adobe dngs files.  After restasrting LR 7.5, I find that I have multiple dngs!?!   At least three (3)!
So the theory was, it's a catalog issue as the OP states there is only ONE DNG yet he see's three. OK, if it is the catalog, then why would creating a new, virgin catalog and importing that ONE DNG produce the same issue? Unless dmeephd didn't do as requested. 
IF the issue is the DNG (I suppose that's possible) he should upload it and allow others to attempt to import it into their catalogs to see what happens. But at this point, IF what dmeephd reported was accurate (?) in terms of a test I suggested with a new catalog, I can't understand how the catalog is the issue. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Victoria, however some folks just can't seem to drop it, citing this as an open public forum and implying they can troll another for as long as they like.  I stopped responding last night but the posts just keep on coming, right up to 5:55 PDT this morning.  I will respond no further to this gentleman.

Back to the original issue at hand...

I found that each dng in the Library view pointed to the same dng file in Finder.  Not knowing which one to remove, I simply chose one and viola!, they all were removed (for a given image).  The actual dng file was, of course, untouched.

I repeated the process for all of the images with duplicate dngs.  Then I optimized the catalog and restarted LR.  Next I performed an import and the individual dngs in the folder were imported and added to the catalog, one for each image.  No duplication this time around.

I next imported another set of raw files in tiff format (as described by Olympus Medical themselves) along with their matching jpegs.  I then selected the tiis, used the 'Convert Photo to DNG' with the 'Only conver raw files' unchecked.  The dngs were created with no duplicates.

Subsequent imports of images have been without fault, albeit, slow compared to LR6.  Part of the problem I think lies with the fact that LR is performing preview building in parallel with the import process.  I observe that the center library pane remains blank until around 75% of the import has been accomplished, and then the images appear (whilst preview building—standard or 1:1; makes no difference) continues.

LR6 never attempted these operations in parallel.  Is this a new feature of LR 7, and if so, can it be disabled?

I have seen more problems with the catalog since upgrading and this parallel processing fo such computationally intensive operations might be contributory.  It certainly cannot be my hardware as my MacPro is heavily augmented with after market upgrades making it as powerful a MacPro as one can obtain.

Finally, as to sending you a copy of my catalog, I'm afraid it is far too large for that—just over 26GB (down from 37GB under LR6).  When it became corrupted last October (due to a new version of the mirroring program recursively writing the backups while LR was running) I had trouble sending it to the Adobe database guru you recommended (who was able to fix the db).

Regards,

David Martin, Ph.D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David, that's useful information. I suspect it's a relatively rare issue but it is being investigated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, as to sending you a copy of my catalog, I'm afraid it is far too large for that—just over 26GB (down from 37GB under LR6).
Since you can use some education on this, you can Export as catalog 1 image only. The resulting catalog will be vastly smaller but most of the stuff we would need to evaluated the catalog would exist in this new version with a far, far smaller size. You could examine DropBox or Hightail too, if again, you really do want to share the catalog so Adobe or others can inspect it. 
IF you really needed help in uncovering possible catalog issues, you can upload one. I suspect that will not happen, like the request to upload a 'raw' TIFF your back produces. 

What also will probably fall on deaf ears is a clear answer if you indeed made a new catalog and imported the one DNG after which you did see more than one DNG in that new catalog as asked. There's a massive difference in what may be happening on your end if we know it's a single catalog issue or one that manifests itself with a new catalog. If so, the next test would be to try this on a different computer since by your own admission, you've had catalog problems and corruption. 

I've been using LR since before it went beta; I've never had a corrupted catalog. It's indeed possible! But it's also a factor based on your system/drive etc. Hence, if you really want to get to the bottom of this, knowing if the issue occurs in one new catalog or all would go a long ways to aiding people in figuring out the issue. Assuming that's your goal. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, we all know how much experience you have, but with all due respect, YOU'RE NOT HELPING. Please, I'm begging you, let it drop. There's already a catalog attached to the bug, which is already being investigated, and if the engineers need a chunk of this one, they can ask for it. Stop putting David down - it's not fair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria please explain how this would be a catalog issue if one imports the DNG suspect into a new catalog? I asked the Dr. to try this and he said it didn't make any difference.

Can you explain if this is so, why he'd even need to upload his entire original catalog which is doable and has been explained but maybe not at all necessary? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Andrew, you're clearly in an argumentative mood this weekend, both on this and other threads. I'm not quite sure why you're having a rough time or why you're so desperate to be proven right, but it's not fair that you keep hammering on other people. Let it go. It doesn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate