• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Noise Reduction not available for S21

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using my brand new Galaxy S21 Ultra in Pro Mode and importing raw DNG images into Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 the Noise Reduction module does not work at all.  (Other basics do, such as exposure, saturation, etc.)  Yet, my DNG files from my prior Galaxy S20 Ultra do just fine in Lightroom along with DNG files from other devices such as my drone.  This problem was duplicated and verified by another user in the Lightroom Classic forum.

Footnote:  I also received this error message when attempting to upload this image to the Adobe Support Community - Lightroom Classic forum.  

• The attachment's 20210205_235657.dng content type (image/DNG) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
30 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNGs are not allowed as image attachments in this forum. Can you post an offending image to a Creative Cloud shared folder, Dropbox or similar?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like TIF before it, DNGs are an "almost standard". Lightroom needs an update for each: Pentax, Hasselblad... 

Good to know that the S21 Ultra RAW images can be imported and edited with Lightroom, that's what's been holding me back from replacing my Fuji gear with this smartphone. 

What OS are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought DNG files were invented by Adobe.

I'm using Windows 10.

Odd the Samsung Galaxy S20 dng files worked fine, but the S21 files don't.  Makes me wonder if there is something corrupted with Samsung's output.

If so, I hope Adobe confronts them on it. I'd bet they would get a lot further with Samsung than one lone user trying to go up the chain over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG and TIF were both invented by Adobe but then the camera manufacturers tweak the format as do a couple of the image processing companies. So Lightroom, usually, has to provide specific support for each DNG format. I. E. if you edit the header on a Pentax DNG to say that it is from some other camera that writes DNG files, it won't process correctly if at all. 

There is a pure DNG, perhaps that's what Samsung is using and the bug is with the phone and not Lightroom? 

Are you saying that the noise reduction sliders don't work at all on S21 Ultra raw images? Or That they don't work as expected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is very small, only 1/2 MB. Is that correct? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10. All the sliders work on my machine with the latest updates to Windows (20H2 - 19042.804) and Lightroom (V10.1.1). 

Perhaps you are referring to the minimal effect of the Color slider? I've never noticed this slider to have much if any effect on any of my images from a wide range of cameras and scanners. 

Taking the Luminance and Detail sliders to 80 and Texture to 50 gave pleasing results. 

Also the exif data is missing: ISO, shutter speed, f/stop, focal length...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same issue, besides the chromatic aberrations and color noise reduction are terrible. The processing is much better for the S10. Makes you wonder if it's the hardware, sensors or the software, Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reprocessing a S10 shot? If it still works fine then the issue is probably unique to the S21 (Lightroom or the phone). Otherwise it would seem to be a Lightroom issue.

But as I said earlier, the minimum impact of the color noise reduction slider on your shot is comparable to its use on my Fuji, Nikon and Olympus raw images. I've always assumed that this slider is essentially useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, the dng image I linked to above in my One Drive folder is 23 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking, they do not work at all, none of them in that section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the EXIF data.  When I open it in FastStone, here's what it shows, attached.

ss-7eac8e25-5d4f-4311-b039-21c7a258093c-894934189.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, but the luminance noise reduction is typically much more aggressive.  There is no doubt it isn't responding to commands.  My other DNG files from my S20 are very responsive to the noise sliders, so much so, I typically just bump it one direction or the other to not overdo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. When I extracted it to my hard drive, it was only 1/2 MB. I gave up on One Drive a couple of years ago due to all the bugs which never seemed to get fixed and switched to Google Drive. Is it possible that your upload compressed it in some way or perhaps the extract to my drive? Google Drive has 2 modes: free and fee with free compressing. Is it possible that One Drive does something similar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I redownloaded it and this time it is 23MB with the exif data. As the prior image wasn't overlaid (changed the name first), I can compare and see that the first one was only 1/2MB. Tomorrow I'll load the full size image into Lightroom to see how they compare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed your observations with the 23MB image. None of the sliders in the Noise Reduction panel have any effect. All the sliders in the Basic, Sharpening and Transform panels work. 

I did find that reducing the Texture slider cleaned up the image but also increased detail so I'm suspicious that this slider is not working correctly. My experience with other images is that taking this slider negative reduces sharpness. So I guess that temporarily, this could be used for noise reduction. As this slider is just a smart combo of Luminance Noise Reduction and Sharpening, the same result can be accomplished by using these 2 sliders independently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731  

Thanks Bill.  It's just frustrating as I "upgraded" from the S20 to the S21 to get the "better" camera and now I'm in far worse shape than if I had just stayed with the S20.

What's the saying?  If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic > Develop > Color & Luminance Noise Reduction Module doesn't work

Lightroom classic 10.1

Adobe Raw 13.1 (658)

MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 

&

Windows 7 64 sp1

Android 11

Samsung Note 20 Ultra DNG files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for the S21 Ultra on Windows 10 with Lightroom Classic V10.1.1.

Go-around while waiting for a fix (has this been reported to Adobe yet?), go negative with the texture slider. At least for the S21 Ultra raw images, going negative reduces noise (as expected) but also increases sharpness. Not sure if this is a bug with the texture slider as reducing noise is a little known trick that occasionally increases (apparent?) sharpness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 

It worked fine for samsung s10+ DNG files

This issue first appeared with camera raw 12.4 and now 13

It's gone unnoticed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been reported once before on this forum but whether Adobe saw it??? It's also possible that it's a bug in the Samsung DNG file. If the files are created correctly, Adobe shouldn't have to do anything special unlike proprietary RAW files.

However Adobe did have to provide special algorithms for Leica, Pentax and other DNG files.

Perhaps Rikk will comment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a DNG from samsung note 20 ultra

https://is.gd/wZPBGy

zoom to the black area, increase brightness and try to reduce color or luma noise, it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a bug logged for this. Thank you for the sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate