• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photos missing after failed renaming on import

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a problem when I tried to re-run an import when I am renaming my image files and I also have "Make A Second Copy" enabled.

I was making and testing a new import preset in a test catalog and I made a mistake in the destination. So I removed all the images from the catalog, deleted them from the disk and removed the now empty folders.

After I corrected my import preset I reran the import with the source as the same input card. This time the import proceeded almost to the end but then displayed an error dialog saying LR could not rename any of the images it just added to the catalog. I click continue and go to the Previous Import in Grid view

Everything is pretty messed up at this point. All the thumbnails in the Grid have the original name from the camera. (IMG_2449.CR2) and the missing file question mark badge. The image files in the Library folder are the correctly renamed files (sherwin_20121015.cr2) and the backup copy folder (Imported on November 9, 2012) has one of each.

It gets even more confused because when I tried to clean up by removing all the images from the catalog again that failed because and LR left all the renamed files in the catalog folder. Since I did not catch this on the first go the subsequent try created new image files all with a "-2" suffix because all the files were still there from the second import.

It seems like a simple fix would be to have every import get it's own backup folder. In other words don't just make one backup folder for each day. Some options for naming the backup folder would be nice too.

-louie

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version? System?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that would help...

Lightroom 4.2, Mac OS 10.7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import (using import dialog box) frequently (not always) has the error that it cant rename a photo, even though it was renamed, but after import it appears missing (since its looking for the wrong name).

Problem only evident with one catalog - other catalog imports without error every time. Optimizing catalog didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Wilde's verified in this thread: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out to be a very old bug: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/661533 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix, or not to fix, that is the question (which should be asked, and answered affirmatively).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I have reproduced it too in 4.3RC and reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and it's deferred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Similar issue happened to me. iphone 5 camera roll is showing 933 photos, but an error in LR upon import is only showing 922 in the import dialog. Confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate