P: Photos synced re-extract the manufacturer's caption e.g. "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA"

2 Votes
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many digital cameras prepopulated the "Caption" field of images. My Olympus annoyingly does this with "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA", and this is one of many cameras I've owned that has this "feature".

Luckily I can create a Metadata preset for Import in Lightroom that sets this field blank.
However, when these photos are then later synchronised to LR Mobile, this field gets reset back to "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA".

As each photo is uploaded the Caption field gets populated. I suspect it's copying the value from the "Video : Description" field which has the same manufacturer's prepopulated text.

Camera prepopulating Caption field:

When LR Mobile uploads, I think it is looking (wrongly) at this Description field even if you've set Caption to another value:

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016
Our engineers are looking into this issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very curious -- the screenshot of your Video metadata tagset shows a Description field.  I've never seen that before, and I suspect there is some internal inconsistency with your LR.  All of the other fields in the Video tagset come from the XMP DynamicMedia namespace of metadata fields, and that namespace doesn't have a Description field, and I very much doubt that Olympus would set a video-specific metadata field for a still image.  I suspect that LR is showing there the same field that's behind Caption (XMP:Description).   

Which precise version of LR are you running?  (Do Help > System Info.)

Can you upload a sample pic with the issue to Dropbox and post the link here?  We can put it under the microscope and see what might be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll upload a sample pic later tonight to Dropbox. The first part of my System Info is below.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.4 [ 1060496 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our engineers are looking into this issue. Thanks!

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It's been 4 years and this is still an issue for Lightroom Mobile? It's horribly inconvenient to be forced to do all exporting from the desktop to work around this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate