• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Print Module, Page Set Up Crashes Lightroom Classic V 12.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day. I ran across this issue yesterday, 6 Nov, and I'm not sure who (Adobe, Apple, Epson) is responsible for t/s and fix- it is frustrating. Simple to explain - fixing is another issure entirely.

I'm using a 16" 2019, Intel MacBook Pro w/32Gb Ram. I upgraded to MacOS Ventura and Lightroom Classic v12.0.1.  Going into Print Module and trying to select Page Set Up crashes Lightroom. I tried restarting the computer, resetting LR Preferences and turning off GPU Acceleration to no avail. 

Do the LR Print Module, Page Set Up and Printer Settings, pull their input from the printer manufacturer drivers? Again, I'm not sure who is responsible or even how to go about troubleshooting/fixing. Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have two projects for customers in work - I should have known better than to upgrade this soon.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Update 03/29./2023:

Apple released version 13.3 of macOS Ventura which contains a fix for this issue. Please update your Mac to version 13.3 and let us know if you continue to see the crash on Page Setup. 

Thank you for your patience

Moving Status back to Investigating - this is not a Lightroom Classic bug. Resolution will require a future update to the OS.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Apple has fixed this bug. Update to Ventura 13.3 to obtain the fix. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 277 Replies 277
277 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you gotten no response? I'm using a Canon printer, but having the exact same problem. I hope somebody knows a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom stürzt ab sobald der Button "Seite einrichten" im Druckmodul betätigt wird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I updated to Ventura on my i-Mac and apparently my Adobe apps were updated as well. My LR Classic version is 12.01. Everything seemed fine, until I tried printing. I use 2 different Epson printers.

When I clicked 'printer' (below right) the preset field said 'none'. When I tried to select one of my print presets (i.e. to click on in the list) LR crashed.With the other printer same story.

(NB  'print preset' = combination of settings for: type of paper+print quality+paper feed; I created these for matte paper, normal paper, rice paper etc;and use them for occasional jobs and to create print templates - which include more, also paper size, margins etc.)

As Apple sometimes installs its own versions of printer drivers I decided to install the latest drivers and software updates directly from the Epson site. But  LR still crashed on choosing a preset.

I followed all Adobe recommendations listed here https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-crash-or-freeze.html. I reset preferences etc. checked all settings  -no luck. I have now counted 8 or 9 crashes at exactly the same point.

I have been using LR and Epson printers for more than 10 years and never had this before. It must be related to the updates. I can make a new preset and print with it. However, the interface has become very complex, with an extra layer in between.

E.g. to check print quality I click 'printer', popup window appears, I click to open 'printer options', click 'printer settings' which opens a second popup and then I get to see the window resembling what I was used to - but only for paper type and print quality.

It is as if two systems are kind of mixed up. There ar emany settings, some of which I have never seen before, but on the other hand I have not found how to change paper feed - one of my Epsons has 3 paper feeds but I haven't come across the option to choose back/front/default feed.

Anyone can shed light on this? I am really worried, I have perfected a range of presets over the years and I was always so happy with the way Lightroom handled printing and now it is all messed up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sobald man den Button "Drucker einrichten" in Druckmodul drückt stürzt Lightroom ab, jedes Mal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are affected by this crash, engineering is requesting a video recording showing the actions that cause the crash. Please post a video showing the bad behavior if possible. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I deleted all Epson drivers and software, using their uninstall.app, and installed drivers anew from the Epson site (so as to have all the possibilities and not the slimmed-down-Apple-Airprint version). The  interface has changed for the worse, too many options, badly organized - no idea whether LR, Apple or Epson is to blame. In LR and e.g. Pages I only have the very basic default settings, in Preview I have in addition a number of Photo settings (different for each of the two printers). My own print presets are nowhere to be seen. I did locate them in the library>preferences folder, but (a) how do I get the printer, or LR (and PS by the way) to use them and (b) could this be an outdated file that causes the crashes? In which case I'd rather not revive it.

(By the way, Inhad to type this on my iPad as the 'reply' button on this website doesn't work in FF and Safari with Ventura - now I know again why I have always been slow to update  😞  Some other apps crash too - a day of my life wasted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi have exactly the same problem...macbook pro, ventura 13.0.1.  Hit the "page set up"...IMMEDIATE CRASH!

Have spent a total of three hours on phone with Adobe support (in three sessions) and they are still unable to correct the problem.  I suspect this is a conflict with the new OS.  I am scheduled for a fourth call tomorrow morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues using the Page Setup on any of my Epson printers with the latest version of Lightroom Classic. 

Very often, the fix for Epson issues is what I like to call the Epson Enema:

1.Delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura)>Print & Fax.

2.Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

3.Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

4.Then reinstall drivers from Epson and never Apple.

Next, if you keep crashing, try the following: 
Try logging into another account (you may need to make one); still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting); still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I more or less did what digitaldog suggests, and it worked, but the result was that I lost all my custom print presets. And although I retrieved the file that has the settings and put it back where it belongs, they are no longer accessible.

(By the way, what’s with the “reply” buttons on this page? Now they won’t work on my i-pad either. Is this because of the ad-blockers I use?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted all Epson printers, same issue with the Brother Printer......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrated with Adobe Customer Service.  I have had a total, I believe, of 5 sessions, with Adobe, three in which they assumed control of my computer and unable to stop the crashing.  What is most disppointing is they have promised THREE TIMES to call during a defined window....so I hung around on three separate occassions for two hours each time waiting for a phone call from them AND THEYNEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO CALL AND CANCEL THE APPOINTMENT!  If you schedule an appointment and can't make it, at least Adobe should have the common curtesy to call me and apologize and reschedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted all Epson printers, same issue with the Brother Printer......

By @JSAbrahamson

Sure, that's a fix for Epson printers.

You can try a similar approach for Brother printers, but I have no idea if that would work. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrated with Adobe Customer Service.  I have had a total, I believe, of 5 sessions, with Adobe, three in which they assumed control of my computer and unable to stop the crashing.  What is most disppointing is they have promised THREE TIMES to call during a defined window....so I hung around on three separate occassions for two hours each time waiting for a phone call from them AND THEYNEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO CALL AND CANCEL THE APPOINTMENT!  If you schedule an appointment and can't make it, at least Adobe should have the common curtesy to call me and apologize and reschedule.

By @JSAbrahamson

This is a user-to-user support forum; we can attempt to help you with your issue we can't nor will we help you with Adobe phone support because that isn't the aim of this user-to-user support. 

Moving on: 

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running my LrC (v. 12.0.1) on my MacBook Pro 2020 with M1 chip and Ventura (v. 13.0.1). I have no problem in editing my pictures or to use the Print modul exept for when I press the button Utskriftsformat (SV) (probably Print format in english), then the program crashes and closes unexpectingly. This has happend with the last update. I am in the middle of printing a large series and can't change from A4 to A2, due to this. A real nuisance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I more or less did what digitaldog suggests, and it worked, but the result was that I lost all my custom print presets.

Check your preferences for “Store presets with Catalog” (toggle on/off): did this reload your presets with one option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry @ThE digitaldog, I'm not quite sure what the steps should be. I opened LR, un-selected the option, closed the window: no prsets. Opened the window and selected the option again: no presets. Unselected the option, shut LR, re-opened it, no presets. Should I restart the computer?
I doubt that this will do the trick, because the settings this option refers to are in images>lightroom>lightroom-settings. I cannot find printer presets in that folder.  The files that have the presets are in the library>preferences folder, and are called (e.g.) com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.EPSON_Epson_Stylus_Pro_3880.plist. LR apparently doesn't recognize the file or can't find it, and I don't know how to make it see what is there. Here is an explanation, only this didn't help me, perhaps it has something to do with file formats ??? https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3783069  What I have is an xml-file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to have Macbook Pro Ventura 13.0.1 and Canon printers.  I reloaded the print drivers with no improvement.  I have had Adobe support take control of my computer three times as they manipulated various settings, all to no avail.   They are supposed to call me again today, but since they have said they would call x 3 and didn't I'm not holding my breath.  Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my bad. When you wrote you lost your custom print presets, I incorrectly thought you lost your Custom Print settings (Templates) in LR. Your Epson custom print presets are gone. You'll have to recreate them in the Epson print driver. 

I've tried backing up the plist files and such, and some have suggested it is doable. But it has never worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your diligence. That’s really frustrating. I managed to to get a
new plug-in for my canon printer to work (Canon print studio pro) so I’ve
given up on Lightroom’s print module for now and am using that Plugin
instead. I hope you get some useful feedback eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to use the Canon Print Studio Pro plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, seems weird, doesn’t it, the file is where it should be and yet… I even copied the (plain) text of the old settings into the new (empty) custom-settings file that was created when I re-installed the printer driver, but to no effect. 

I did have quite a few presets but they concern only basic choices like paper feed and type of paper. Not too difficult te re-create them but a bit of a hassle and VERY annoying!

All the same: thank you for your suggestions, it does help to share experience even if we don’t manage to solve everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[@TheDigitalDog I meant this reply for you but even though I replied to yours it ends up at the end of the thread. And I cannot edit my own post either (??) Am I the only one having problems with this forum?]

Yes, seems weird, doesn’t it, the file is where it should be and yet… I even copied the (plain) text of the old settings into the new (empty) custom-settings file that was created when I re-installed the printer driver, but to no effect. 

I did have quite a few presets but they concern only basic choices like paper feed and type of paper. Not too difficult te re-create them but a bit of a hassle and VERY annoying!

All the same: thank you for your suggestions, it does help to share experience even if we don’t manage to solve everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Occured first time I tried to print after Ventura installation 12.0.1. Always the same message - Lr Classic quit unexpectedly. No solution or workaround available.

Votes

Translate

Translate