• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Print Module print resolution displays differently based on the orientation

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed in the print module when I unchecked the print resolution option that Lightroom would display different image resolutions based on the orientation the shot was taken in.  For example, I shot on two different cameras both 24MP (Nikon d7100 and Sony a7ii) and for portrait it would display an image of 2x3 at 1333ppi while for landscape it would display 3x2 at 1440ppi.  I think this is a bug for Lightroom only as Photoshop still reads both files as the same resolution and the file sizes are identical no matter the orientation. I don't know if this is just a calculation glitch or if Lightroom is actually reading these files as smaller.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017
Looks like it is Windows only. I couldn't reproduce on Mac. I will log a bug for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

This is an older bug that is no longer reproducible under the current Operating Systems and Lightroom versions. We are closing this bug. Should a similar bug arise, please create a new bug report. This thread will be closed.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm what you are seeing. It appears the Print module calculates the resolution (ppi) using the Long Edge paper dimension (in) and Long Edge image dimension (pixels), regardless of image orientation. This produces an incorrect resolution value for images that have a different orientation than the cell. When the 'Rotate to Fit' option in the 'Image Settings' panel is checked the resolution appears to be  incorrectly calculated using the Short Edge dimension for images with different orientation than the cell. So there are two issues! The actual 'Print' output file is affected as well so this isn't just an incorrect cell display value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Levi, Todd  - Which behavior is expected PPI on Paper or Image? (I think I know which you would prefer but let's make sure we are decided upon our expected behavior before I attempt to file it.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into this Rikk. The issue occurs when  'Rotate to Fill' is selected in the 'Image Settings' panel, the Print Job panel 'Print Resolution' box is unchecked, and 'Print to' is set to "Printer.' What is expected is that the cell's size and resolution data show the correct native values for both landscape and portrait orientation images. In addition the output data presented to the target printer should be as displayed in the cell and also correct for both landscape and portrait orientation images. The same should be true for both 'Printer' and 'JPEG File'  'Print to' settings in the Print Job panel.

I agree this probably not a "normal way to use the Print module, but none the less it should be fixed to work correctly. The displayed cell resolution data is also useful for determining the image file's native resolution at the target print size (i.e. cell size). Thanks again and let me know if you need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to need a screenshot of the Image Settings Panel too. I have so far been unable to duplicate this. 

Also, are we talking Mac or Windows here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I'm on Windows 7 and using LR CC 2015.10. Here's a screenshot showing the original 6000x4000 landscape image and a virtual copy rotated to portrait mode that illustrates the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it is Windows only. I couldn't reproduce on Mac. I will log a bug for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an older bug that is no longer reproducible under the current Operating Systems and Lightroom versions. We are closing this bug. Should a similar bug arise, please create a new bug report. This thread will be closed.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate