• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rectangle appears on images after editing in Photoshop and returning to Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I export from Lightroom Classic and do some editing in Photoshop and return to Lightroom Classic on saving, there is always a rectangle at a different light level than the rest of the image.  This is corruption, I don't see this rectangle at all in Photoshop and if I reopen the file in photoshop it is not there, just in Lightroom.

It is sooooooooo annoying.

You can see it in this attached image, it happens almost every time I edit in Photoshop and return to Lightroom.  I have more examples.

Iain

Mac OS 10.15.3, iMac 27" 2018, Benq SW321C Photographer Monitor. Adobe Photoshop 21.1.1 Lightroom Classic 9.2

Same image in Photoshop:

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
27 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disable GPU in Preferences > Performance and restart Lightroom do you still see the artifact?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you Export to a JPG and then view that JPEG file in Mac Preview is it still there?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a copy of the file? 

If you open the file in Photoshop, go to Preferences > Performance... and click "legacy compositing" and resave the file, does it appear correctly in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is still there even after export, this is why this is so bad, I can't do any work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same if I put on Legacy, edit a layer and save, same rectangle in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file 350MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iain, I just posted this reply to your original thread in the user-to-user forum:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/square-image-in-my-images-after-importing/m-p/11000...

"Reading through the jumbled order of replies, it's not clear that you've tried enabling the Photoshop option Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing, as suggested by Bob Somrak, and then resaving the image after making a trivial change. There is a bug in PS 21.0 and 21.1 that incorrectly renders the final image as seen by LR and other apps (PS displays the image correctly):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/reproducible-bug-in-feathered-layer-masks-pho..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that 3 times now, it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is the same bug, this is an original Cr2 file in Lightroom, basic edited in Lightroom, opened to edit in Photoshop, saved and closed and now this is what it looks like in Lightroom.  Therefore it's a Tiff, not a PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the most effective next step is, as Jeffrey Tranberry suggested, to upload a sample file showing the problem to Dropbox or similar and posting the sharing link here. That will help identify whether the problem is specific to the file or your particular configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a feathered mask in Photoshop though, only 3 layers, clone stamp, feathered exposure mask for vignette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't explain why it happens in other images that have no feathered masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is the file.  I closed and opened Lightroom 22 times and now its gone. Surely I can't be expected to do that in my workflow.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v5st04ayy5t0jm/6N8A6210-Edit-Edit.tif?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just retested, and the bug with feathered layer masks occurs with both PSDs and TIFFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be doing some editing tonight, I will post an example when there is no feathered masking, I'll upload the Tiff etc.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's tease apart concerns and focus on the image(s) with feathered layer masks first.

Re your sample TIFF, I don't see the symptoms when I open it in Mac Preview or LR. But some further testing shows that the bug only appears to occur when you open a raw in PS, add a feathered layer, and save it as a PSD or TIFF. If you reopen that PSD or TIFF in PS and force a resave, either by making a small change or by doing File > Save As, the image then appears correctly in LR and other external apps.

So it's the first time you open a raw and save as a PSD/TIFF that provokes the bug.  Subsequent PS edits to that PSD/TIFF cause the bug to go away.

(Note that I've eliminated LR from the equation -- all my testing is with Photoshop and Mac Preview, which reads the compatibility layer to display a layered PSD or TIFF.   The bug is rendering the compatibility layer incorrectly.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be well and fine but it’s not the bug I am reporting.

This thread was started because of what I find in my workflow, I wasn’t trying to report another bug.

My problem is Import Raw into Lightroom. Do a minor edit in Lightroom. Right click image and Edit in Photoshop. Do some edits. save and close file. Return to Lightroom and the image has a rectangle overlay at a different opacity than the rest of the image.

That is what I reported.

If this thread is now to fix a different issue for a different workflow then I’ll leave you all to it.

Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The file 350MB" - I had a similar problem with Lightroom a couple years ago when importing 4x5 high resolution scanned JPEG images, no involvement of Photoshop. They were about 250MB. Could the sheer size of the file be causing the problem? At the time, Windows 7 64 bit with 64GB of RAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, I have some composite images that are 2-3GB and they don’t have an issue. These are RAW images from Canon full frame imported to Lightroom and then edited from Lightroom in Photoshop and saved back into Lightroom. I don’t have the issue with PSB files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file. Seems like a variation on the bug that John describes which is triggered with feathered masks. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My problem is Import Raw into Lightroom. Do a minor edit in Lightroom. Right click image and Edit in Photoshop. Do some edits. save and close file. Return to Lightroom and the image has a rectangle overlay at a different opacity than the rest of the image."

Right, all the evidence indicates you're tripping over the Photoshop 21 bug with feathered layer masks. It's a Photoshop bug, not a Lightroom bug. If you upload a raw file exhibiting the problem, rather than the edited TIFF, we can confirm that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem never occurs in Photoshop. If I export from Photoshop or save as jpg then it does not show. It only ever shows in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above and in the original thread, Photoshop "incorrectly renders the final image as seen by LR and other apps (PS displays the image correctly)". 

When PS saves a multi-layer image in a PSD or TIFF, it creates a hidden compatibility layer that's the composite of all the layers, equivalent to the result of Layer > Flatten Image.  LR and other apps (such as Mac Preview) read the compatibility layer to display the image. PS itself doesn't display the compatibility layer -- it just creates it for use by other apps.

When the option Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing is off, the bug causes the feathered layer to be incorrectly rendered in the compatibility layer. Thus, the TIFF or PSD looks correct in PS but incorrect in LR and other apps.

When you save the image from PS to a JPEG (or any format that flattens the layers in the image), the bug doesn't occur. Similarly, if you reopen the PSD or TIFF and force it to be resaved, the bug doesn't occur.  It only occurs when you open a raw within PS, add a feathered layer, and then save it as a PSD or TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: It only occurs when you open a raw within LR PS, add a feathered layer, and then save it as a PSD or TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate