Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Refreshing crop view on secondary display

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

My secondary display has a delay showing my cropped photo. If I crop the photo, LR Classic will refresh the second monitor only after I change something on the photo. For example, I crop the photo. The primary monitor shows the cropped area, but the second monitor shows the original area. If I change the crop area to whatever, the secondary screen updates and shows the previews cropped image (not the new crop). If I exit the crop tool, with the image cropped, the secondary display still shows the previews crop. If I change anything on the photo, for example, exposure by 0.1 (or anything else that forces a refresh), the second monitor updates the photo and shows the current crop. So, what I mean is that the second monitor is one step behind the primary display when showing the cropped image.
Besides, when I click the crop tool, the primary monitor blinks the photo very briefly and shows the previews photo I was working on, then shows the current photo again with the crop tool enabled.

PS: I'm using the latest LR version.

Any thoughts?

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
37 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, there has been exactly one (lame) staff interaction on this topic with zero follow up, and no action by Adobe for at least a year. Complaining here has absolutely no effect.  It's a dead end.

The Adobe bug report form is here. The bug tracker is here.  If Adobe sees more bug reports coming in, THEN maybe they'll decide to do something about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the official bug reporting site.

If you follow the links you've posted, you will find that Lightroom is not in the pulldown fields.

Please see: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/forum-usability-topics/how-to-reporting-bugs-problems/5... 

As Victoria has said:
This thread is marked as Acknowledged at the top. That means a bug has been filed. If additional information is needed to complete a fix this thread will be contacted. If a fix is made and deployed via a software release, this thread will be notified.

Any additional bug reports made will be merged into this thread. 

"Likes" to this thread are counted by our bug database. That is the most effective way to affect this issue. 

ETAs for fixes are not supplied prior to a final fix being released.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same crop delay bug but I noticed something interesting.  If I hide the navigator window and crop an image smaller, the bug appears and the second display is not refreshed.  If I expand the image crop area, the second display will immediately refresh.  If I continue dragging larger, the second display may or may not continue to update the second display.  It seems to be tied to how smoothly I move the handle.  If I release and start to go larger again, it immediately refreshes the second monitor.

I know this won't help anyone working around the problem, but sometimes data like this can help the developers track down a problem more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted a comment to the thread describing an anomaly on the bug.  Making the image larger seems to work regardless of the navigator window.  Sometimes things like this will help the developers.  I used to be a developer.  Every little quirk can help track down a problem.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 2022 Update. The scenario is editing headshots which need consistency.

Cropping in the main display. Looking at both the secondary display and the thumbnails down below.

As you make the crop, the secondary display may or may not follow. It definitely isn't live, there is an irregular time delay whilst the secondary screen renders. What is really strange is that if you click off the current photo and then back, the secondary display is intially showing a crop from slightly before then after a second shows the current crop. Click off and back again and it does the same thing. It's as if two crops are being used, not just the latest. It's actually annoying that it's effectively "animating" your crops.

There is a random time delay for the bottom thumbnail crop to update. It isn't in sync with the secondary display either. The bottom display gives you a pretty good comparison between images, so you can eye ball the distance between the top of head and top of frame. So getting this right is important. The lack of live update is cumbersome.

There are no other processes going on at this point based on the progress in the top left. So there really doesn't seem to be an excuse for scheduling the rendering so late on both the thumbnail and the secondary screen. Sure the original raw is big, but there should be some memory optimisation of the screen and thumbnail - especially if the crop adjustment is slight.

The pattern of the crop interaction is to initially pick a reasonable crop which might be 70-80% of the image, then you are panning the image and then slightly adjusting the corners. So rendering could be optimised to not have to regen from the master each time you adjust the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you scroll the thumbnails at the bottom, the images being cached out of view are not up to date either.

You can make some updates and check and wait for them to correct.

Then scroll so that image goes out of view and then bring it back to the centre.

The thumbnail is showing an older crop. After a second or so, it renders the new crop.

So again, something is out of sync with the thumbnails. Once updated, the older thumbails should be discarded from the cache. In the current version, somehow the older images are being use and an update is being re-rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's even more bizarre (now that I'm watching more carefully). The bottom thumbnail can finally render to match the main display but then after a short period, it re-renders an older crop. So it comes into sync but then goes back to be out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re the thumbnails not updating to match the current crop, that's a known bug acknowledged by Adobe:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

Rolling back to 11.2 is the only known workaround, which works for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Montery.

I use a primary and secondary display. Previously, when I was cropping on the primary display, the secondary display would show the resultant crop as I made it. Now, however, it does not. The cropping on the secondary display stays the same unless I start a new crop or close the cropping tool.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Any suggestions?"

Adobe has marked this bug as "Investigating".  Meanwhile, the only known workaround is to roll back to LR 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11.4.1 seemed to solve some of the performance delay issues for thumbnail rendering.

The work around that seems to help the secondary display update more reliably is to have the Develop Navigator opened and visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@dw24154351 that fixed it! I'm still kind of amazed that this was a problem. Sounds like a Classic example (pun intended) of trying to fix something that wasn't broke. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate