Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Refreshing crop view on secondary display

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

My secondary display has a delay showing my cropped photo. If I crop the photo, LR Classic will refresh the second monitor only after I change something on the photo. For example, I crop the photo. The primary monitor shows the cropped area, but the second monitor shows the original area. If I change the crop area to whatever, the secondary screen updates and shows the previews cropped image (not the new crop). If I exit the crop tool, with the image cropped, the secondary display still shows the previews crop. If I change anything on the photo, for example, exposure by 0.1 (or anything else that forces a refresh), the second monitor updates the photo and shows the current crop. So, what I mean is that the second monitor is one step behind the primary display when showing the cropped image.
Besides, when I click the crop tool, the primary monitor blinks the photo very briefly and shows the previews photo I was working on, then shows the current photo again with the crop tool enabled.

PS: I'm using the latest LR version.

Any thoughts?

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
37 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read a similar report in another forum. This is probably a GPU issue. Turn off the use of the graphics processor in Preferences - Performance to see if that solves the problem.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I've turned it off, but didn't solve the problem. 😞
I even restarted LR after turning GPU off, with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The maximum delay I see on Mac is about a half-second. 
How does that compare?

Have you reset your preferences file?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk. It's not a delay. It's one step behind. If a change the crop and do nothing, the second monitor won't show the cropped version. Then, if I change something in the photo, it updates the second monitor the second monitor and show the photo cropped. It seems LR isn't refreshing the second monitor when I use the crop tool.

I haven't reset my preferences. How do I do it? What do I lose by doing it?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart Lightroom.

Does the behavior continue after resetting the preferences? 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's ok now! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same bug after updating to 2020 version. Anyone else have this particular bug? I don't really feel like resetting all my preferences...But will if I have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client experiencing the same problem. It is occurring on 2 separate macs one with Catalina and one with Mohave. Both have the new Lightroom classic download. Resetting preferences and turning GPU on and off have not fixed the issue

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I’m on windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm having the same issue on MacOS Catalina.

I can't use my secondary display to preview my crop operation any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I have two monitors and LR is setup to have the Loupe view on the second screen and Photoshop to have all the tool tabs etc on it.

In Lightroom Classic, if I Develop an image and adjust the crop, this is not always reflected in the loupe image on the second screen. If I make a second crop adjustment, the first crop is displayed, sometimes.

In Photoshop, when I transfer an image from Lightroon Classic to edit in Photoshop, (which is already running) the image is displayed in the second monitor under my tabs. However if PS is not already open, it opens and displays correctly.

I tried with both monitors on the same and then on separate graphic cards, with and without gpu acceleration etc. No difference. Also no difference in recent updates to both programmes.

All else on Win 10 is running as it should on two screens (video editor etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have experienced the issue with the display of crops being 1 step behind on a 2nd monitor.

Some observations & workaround that I have found while performing crops:

Crop display updates on 2nd screen are only 1 step behind if the 'navigator' window is not visible:
Either the left panel is collapsed/hidden or the just navigator window within the left panel is hidden.

If the navigator window is visible, then the 2nd display updates ok as crop edits are made.

Workaround:
To update 2nd screen you just need to briefly unhide/hide the left panel with mouse.
Then the 2nd screen updates the crop display. This is quicker than switching to another photo and back.
(Pressing F7 twice works too, but there is a brief weird display of top panel elements... it makes for an annoying switch.

-BH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still exists in 9.3
Resetting preferences did not help.
Navigator window visible/invisible has no effect on my crop preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 9.4 .... same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset my preferences file many times. It seems to fix the problem temporarily, but it will return eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce. I didn't know about the Navigator window work-a-round. I confirm that it works for me too: with the Navigator window open, my cropping updates instantly on the second display. Without it, it's a step behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed the cropping lag on my secondary display for a long time. Here are a few things I just learned -- through trial and error.

1) It makes no difference whether the Graphics Processor is set in Preferences or not.

2) It makes no difference whether the secondary display window is displayed on a second monitor or if it's moved to the main monitor as a window.

3) Having the Navigator panel open while you're in Develop does make a difference. When it's open the crop does not lag. Thanks to Bruce for this.

4) If you crop using the Aspect tool -- where you draw a box around the area you want to keep -- the secondary display does not lag. But, if you then use one of the crop handles to change the size of the crop, it does lag.

For me, the problem doesn't seem to occur on JPEG files. But it happened on every raw file I tried (including NEF, CR2, ORF) and the TIF and PSD files. I'm guessing it has something to do with the large file sizes.

In case anyone is still confused about the behavior that is being discussed, here's how you can reproduce it.

The screen capture above shows the main Lightroom window -- the Develop Module -- on the left -- on my primary monitor. I moved the secondary display window from my second monitor onto the main monitor. It is shown on the right in the photo above.

To reproduce this problem:

• Open a raw file in the Develop module.
  • Make sure the Navigator panel is not displayed. You can close the entire left panel or just the Navigator subpanel.
  • Open the secondary display either on a second monitor or as a window on the main monitor.
  • Open the crop tool
  • Now, drag the top crop handle down to make the picture shorter (marked #1 in the screenshot above). The secondary display will not be updated. It does not show the new crop.
  • Next, drag the bottom handle up to make the photo even shorter. (Number 2 in the photo). The secondary display will now update to show the first crop, but not the second. Number 3 in the photo shows this update. Number 4 indicates where the second crop should show on the secondary display, but does not.

I'd love to see this bug stomped out. It makes my second monitor useless for cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bruce_houstoun Thank you! I would never have stumbled on this. I'm staying at LR 9.4 for the foreseeable future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to report that with the new update to version 10, this bug has been fixed. Cropping is now shown correctly on my second monitor and it updates almost immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic CC 10.0 on a brand new Macbook Pro with MacOS 11.0.1 and the problem still exists.  Dell Ultrasharp U2711 external monitor @ native resolution 60Hz,connected via DisplayPort. Dedicated AMD Radeon Pro 5300M GPU.

Update delay only happens with Olympus RAW photos though. JPEGs work fine. Here is a file you can test with:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/94l9it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Catalina, LRC 10.0 the bug is still present. 

It stops being in sync with the main crop bounds after some number of mouse move events.

When I was experimenting a week or so ago it was definitely stopping after the first pause. Today it goes for several seconds to about 10s of mouse dragging but then pauses and no longer stays in sync.

Release the mouse and start moving the mouse again and it starts syncing the second view again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a mistake. When I was testing the cropping tool yesterday -- and reported that all was working well -- I hadn't noticed that I had the Navigator panel open. Now, I've tried cropping again, with the Navigator closed and it is still lagging. It works great with the Navigator open, though, so I think I'll just keep that open from now on when I'm cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's annoying. This bug exists for month already and is not resolved. When reading through this thread, I'm wondering what effort people are doing for finding workarounds.
When started using LR, I assume it was around version 7, even a live preview of the crop on the second monitor was possible, not only refresh after releasing the mouse. That's already gone for years.
As the last post from joe_bazooka and also the workarounds for this bug show, that most of such issues come from poor GPU support and already aged 2nd monitor support. 

It's ok to pay a monthly fee if always getting current software where bugs are resolved in a timely manner. Improvement and bugfixing is necessary in multiple areas in LR Classic.
C'mon Adobe, please start listening to your users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TomBlue

Did you actually report the bug? This is just a community forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joe_bazooka This is the correct place for bug reports, and the acknowledged badge at the top means it's been confirmed by a staff member and added to the internal bugbase.

Votes

Translate

Translate