• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sampling with EyeDropper outside of color palette is not possible with GPU enabled

Enthusiast ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6; The color picker for the brush/gradient dropdown will not pick a color off the photograph, only from inside the color box. Works fine with 5.7.1.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015
I thought eyedropper sampling outside the color palette for the brush color when GPU is enabled is correctly supported since Lr 6.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a temporary workaround, turn off the GPU in preferences and it should work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria,
I'll try that.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, Thank you Victoria.

The program seems to work smoother and faster without GPU support and the color picker works.

I'm leaving it off.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Adjustment brush in LR it used to be that if you left clicked and held down on the color palette you could drag the eye dropper to your photo and select a color from the photo. Now when you do this, the only colors that can be selected are from the interface, desktop, etc. Everything BUT your photo. If you drag to the photo it defaults the palette to white or the X palette. Not useful or desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria, it's true... I just checked and disabling gpu makes this feature/trick work as usual. Still, I hope it is eventually fixed...

(rats! yet another thing spoiled by the gpu acceleration...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another simpler workaround would be: with the GPU turned on, sample the color from the non-GPU accelerated views such as the navigator view on the top left or detail image render view in the Details panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty more reasons to turn off GPU Simon. Thanks for the suggestion. In return, maybe you should get back to fixing LR6.... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom-6 Color Picker tool will not work to select a color on the image window when GPU is enabled. Only works on the color window, side panels, and monitor desktop.
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the GPU does not fix the issue on OS X El Capitan using the LR released mid November 2015, 2015.3. It just shows the adjustment brush no matter what button I press.

Editing to add that it also doesn't work when I click in the color picker panel and and drag the cursor over to the photo to pick a color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought eyedropper sampling outside the color palette for the brush color when GPU is enabled is correctly supported since Lr 6.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to be working Simon. I tried it on both Mac and Windows, both with latest version and trying GPU on and off...even relaunching LR after changing the setting.

Mine doesn't say LR 6.2 but rather Version 2015.3, Camera Raw 9.3...maybe because I'm a cloud subscriber? It says it's the latest version with no updates available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Lr 6.3 should work also (it does not matter if it is CC or perpetual since it is a bug fix). To make sure that we are talking about the same issue, can you described your specific issue and steps to reproduce it? The specific bug that I mentioned fixed is the case when you try to sample tinting colors for the localized controls (local adjustment brush, linear and circular gradients) via the color palette with the GPU enabled when sampling inside the loupe image.  

Votes

Translate

Translate