• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Second Monitor initially not rendering image clearly.

Participant ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 5, the image in my second monitor renders blurry as if the photo is out of focus although the image is clear as a bell in the main editing screen. If I click off lens corrections, and then reactivate it, the second monitor window clears up and renders the photo clearly.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014
This is fixed in Lightroom 5.5, which is now available. (There are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what has been fixed is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

It is not that I wouldn't dismiss it, it is that I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed, and that is because it is written this way. Yes, the delay for writing the image to the second monitor is faster, but it is not necessary.

Why is Lightroom rebuilding a new image to the second monitor? When it zooms in to the specified 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 etc... levels in the primary screen it doesn't have to build the preview, and it does it with the detail intact. Every pixel is there and you can see them at every zoom level.

The two monitors match in the library module!

The second monitor requires a preview? It needs to rebuild the image? Why? And that alone proves that the second monitor is a rendering and different in some ways from the primary monitor...

In the develop module the pixels disappear

Adobe,

Please just tell me that this is how it is supposed to work, and then explain why it has to be this way. There has to be a rational explanation.

I'll shut up and go away once you tell me why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is how things look on my Windows 7 computer. From the blurriness I see on my secondary monitor version, I suspect that LR is handing off a 1:1 view to the video driver using DirectDraw and the video driver is upsizing in the same way it does for videos, which is to smooth things out to make the pixel boundaries less noticeable. This is good for viewing video but less good for seeing exact pixel boundaries and sharpness with photo processing:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could argue that this actually produces a "more accurate" image on the Secondary display at less than 1:1 view size, since the Develop module main display is slightly over-sharpened compared to actual Export output and the Library image. We've seen numerous complaints concerning this issue.

A better solution would be to fix the Develop module loupe rendering so that it is more accurate and then use the same image rendering for the secondary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Lightroom 5.5 user checking in to counter your "It's fixed" optimism - still not fixed. Still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today in V10.2 in 2021, on 9/4/2021 I am still having the same problem on the 2nd monitor in Develop : going blurry one second after display in Develop. It is overcome as a quick "fix" pressing E then D again and it is clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This old LR 5 thread has been marked Solved years ago. Please add details of your issue to the new bug report for LR 10:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-monitor-2-in-lightr... 

Though it is marked as In Progress, that doesn't mean it will necessarily get fixed in the next release.  Adding your details and clicking Like and Follow under the top post will make it a little bit more likely Adobe might prioritize the fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate