• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Selected Aspect Ratio is not locked on synced images in v10.2

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In v10.1.1, I can select a group of images. Using Crop & Straighten, I select an aspect ratio of "2x3 / 4x6", the aspect ratio is locked on the master image. I then Synchronize the group of images, selecting only "Crop, Straighten Angle & Aspect Ratio". The entire group of images now has an aspect ratio of "2x3 / 4x6", with the aspect ratio locked. This would appear to be the desired effect, when syncing a crop at a specified aspect ratio.

Now, with the new v10.2, the same sequence ends up having only the master image with the aspect ratio locked! All other images in the selected group have the correct aspect ratio, but they are set in the unlocked state!

I have two computers, one with each version, they are replicating the above. This is a major hit. I'm performing this on hundreds of images at a time, I then need to go into each image and tweak the position of crop. With the crop unlocked, I can mistakenly screw up the aspect ratio.

System Specs:

Windows 10-64 (OS build 19041.867), Ram: 32GB, 4TB Raid 5, 4K monitor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Lightroom Classic v10.2

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce the problem on my LR 10.2 / Mac OS 10.15.7.  

Have you previously set crops on the target images, or is the synchronize command the first time they've gotten crops?

Perhaps you could provide a screen recording of your entire LR window showing the bad behavior.  That may give details about what you're doing that's provoking the problem.  Upload the recording to Dropbox, Youtube, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis here you go. The SONY images have been imported, no edits done before the video starts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xws28iyfbq700i2/LRv10.2AspectNotLocked.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, that video does give important clues about what's going on.  

The state of the crop lock isn't synced/copied-pasted.  Rather, after syncing, it remains whatever it was before the sync.

There is a default global value for the crop lock that is used for photos in which you haven't explicitly changed it.  So to set the crop lock as "locked" for all photos you haven't yet cropped, go to one such photo and lock the crop.  Now all photos for which you haven't changed the lock will be locked.

I think I've simplified the lock's behavior (it's wierd), so if my simple recipe sometimes doesn't seem to work for you, read this (painfully detailed) thread:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-crop-lock-reverts-when-chan... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis - "painfully detailed"??  I resemble that remark!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about, just enough details necessary to describe LR's painfully convoluted behavior 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can live with that.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis So, I'm a little confused (to say the least!). Nothing above seems to relate to the issue that I'm having with v10.2 vs v10.1.1.

v10.1.1 seems to reflect behavior that I would assume is logical. If I change the aspect ratio on an image to say, 2x3/4x6, I would expect the lock is set to locked. If I then synchronize the aspect ratio across a selection of images, I would expect the specified ratio to be locked on them as well! In v10.2, the synced images are showing the 2x3/4x6 aspect ratio but are unlocked. If a specific ratio is shown, the image should be locked to that ratio!

I do have late breaking information. I watched a YouTube video by someone, titled "How To Crop Multiple Photos To The Same Aspect Ratio In Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic". It shows the basic activity I'm doing, but it used the Quick Develop panel in Library. I tried it out and what do you know! This approach replicates the behavior I'm used to seeing in v10.1.1.

In the Library module I select a group of images, then using the Crop Ratio tool in Quick Develop select an Aspect Ratio and it is automatically synced on the selected images. This method bypasses the initial cropping that my method is using with the Develop module approach. I then open the Develop module and look at the Aspect Ratio lock in the selected images. They are all showing the right Aspect Ratio and are all locked! I can then alter the crop of the first image of the group, constrained to the specified Aspect Ratio. I then Sync the images and they are all still locked, showing the same Aspect Ratio.

This tells me that something was broken in v10.2, with respect to the Sync command inside the Develop module. Can we "get this in front of the team"?

I've posted a video (version 2) showing the above approach using the Quick Develop panel in the Library Module:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8lvj8ig7q52t4w/LR10.2AspectRatioLockIssueV2.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you're right, the setting of the crop lock did sync/copy-paste in versions prior to 10.2.  I thought I tested 10.1.1 but must have run the wrong version.

By posting here, you've officially submitted a bug report. At some point, an employee will try to reproduce this and either ask for more information or submit a bug report.

So while waiting for Adobe to fix this, there are three workarounds:

- Use Quick Develop > Crop Ratio, as you discovered.

- Go to one photo that hasn't been cropped and lock the crop, which will lock the crop on all the photos. Then sync/copy-paste from the crop from the first photo to all the others. (This only works if you haven't previously set a crop on any of the target photos.)

- With all the photos selected, go to Develop. Turn on the Auto Sync toggle to the left of the Sync... button. Set the crop on the photo, and all the others will get the same aspect ratio and crop lock setting.  Turn off Auto Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis Thanks. Having found the Quick Develop method working, I can use it in the interim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged it. Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate