Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Victoria, 

thx for the quick reply. It's 10.1.

The "downgrade" to 9.4. worked  and seems to solve the problem. (despite that the Catalogue can`t be used anymore.....)

I will try and "downgrade" PS as well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your issue is unrelated to this thread. Have you started a fresh thread with your system information?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Extremely slow on a MacPro 5.1. It only gets back to normal when using "Apple rgb" or "sRGB" profile. With any other profile it's damn slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all of you having slowdowns related to your custom monitor profiles, it might be worth re-calibrating and re-profiling with different software to see if a profile generated by a different algorithm will allow you to stay in a color-managed workflow.

DisplayCal & ArgylCMS are free, open source color management & profiling tools that are worth trying.  Photography Life just recently did a thorough write-up on how to use them:

https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-apple-mac-monitor

The article is focused on using them on a Mac but they also work on Windows PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BrianKimball 

Thanks for the suggestion, are you experiencing any slow down with profiles from these software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be hard pressed to believe it's the profile software for the display only because, I sent a profile from my end, where I have absolutely no issues (SpectraView/MacBook Pro) to someone who was having issues and that profile didn't fix his problem. There's something about the sRGB profile or how it's used that seems to fix this issue. I mean it can't hurt to try a different product but I'd be shocked if one product worked and another didn't, all settings (like V2 spec) being the same. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've never experienced the profile-related slowdowns.  I've always used DisplayCAL and my installation of Lightroom Classic 10.0 and later 10.1 run as fast as they do with the sRGB monitor profile.

I actually had hoped switching to sRGB would magically make my Classic speedy again.  Sadly, my own performance issues are of the more mundane variety- those baked into the software architecture of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right and I've never experienced the profile-related slowdowns with Spectraview but some have. It's a combination of additional factors. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the slowdown and also on the same computer with the same monitor after having another monitor on not having a slowdown. And, then putting the old monitor back with the same profile as before and not having the slowdown, recalibrating and new profile with the same software and again not having a slowdown. I am totally baffled by what happened but I am pretty sure it is not the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BrianKimball 

Interesting. I might try DisplayCal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User I received the following message from Victoria Bampton:  "I've merged your reply into the original post. To reply, use the Comment on this post here... box at the bottom of the page rather than starting a new thread."

I must have accidentally started a new thread. Do you want my system information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you system is behaving as described in the Official Post on this thread, no need to start a new thread or provide any information. 

If you system behaves differently, then you should start a new thread with complete information.

Review the official post on Page 1 to determine how to proceed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Mayuri Jain  @Rikk  Switching to the sRGB profile fixed the insanely slow scrolling in the library view, but of course the colors are wrong. Thanks for the temporary fix! 

2020 8-core 3.8GHz 32GB iMac with Radeon 5500XT 8GB LR 10.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014

3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M29OX 2 GB

Just adding my similar experience to this thread.  In Develop module, I can move right along for about 10-15 minutes and then the cursor starts to freeze up and changes are first very slow, then impossible.  And then the grey blocks appear.  Tried various solutions suggested in this thread to no avail.  Will revert to earlier version of LRC. 

ScreenShot20201216-8a5cc3a0-5500-4fa7-abea-b4b60972e80d-533618587.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved: reduce screen resolution to I.e. 2560x... and it all is back to super fast. For quick editing in grid view, that’s okay. 
best 

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eschhols

I have recently switched to a 5K retina display so that may have contributed to a slowdown. But again, having much worse browsing performances in the Library module than in the Develop module does not look right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Library module does not use the GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731 Not true.

Adobe Lightroom Classic GPU FAQ

How does Lightroom Classic use the graphics processor?

When configured (Preferences > Performance), Lightroom Classic can use a compatible graphics processor (also called a graphics card, video card, or GPU) to speed up tasks of displaying and adjusting images in the Develop module, the Library module's Grid view, Loupe view, and Filmstrip. Enhance Details is also accelerated by the GPU. Using a compatible GPU can provide significant speed improvements on high-resolution displays, such as 4K and 5K monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference in speed noted when running 4K... strange, although LRC marks the GPU as “acknowledged”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be old information. Check your GPU History.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running a fully specced 2013 MacPro (12-core CPU, 64GB RAM, 2 x AMD FirePro D700 GPUs) and LR 10 froze my machine so completely that I could not even force-quit. The only thing I could do is a hard reset. I've never had any program render my Mac unusable before. That's really not acceptable.

I solved that problem by turning off GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk With respect, this is two months old, and the issue is still not resolved. LR 10 is simply not ready for professional work. Adobe should not have released it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, if I switch to sRGB calibration (from Eizo Color Navigator) and vanilla sRGB Profile, Lr 10.1 goes like s**t off a shovel.  Otherwise it just goes like s**t.

But I didn't invest in a Mac Pro, twin Eizo monitors and, indeed, an Adobe subscription to do photo editing in sRGB.

I own licenses to several comparable applications to Lr, developed by teams with far, far less resources, and non of them of them have any issue with using a "professional" ICC profile. 

So I'll add my voice to the chorus of "when exactly, are your chums going to fix this, Rikk?".  If they're not, I'm sure I can safely assume you're arranging a refund ? After all, if it is such a small number of subscribers (not "users", "subscribers") then cancelling subscription fees until this disaster gets fixed is hardly going to impact Adobe's beloved bottom line, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate