Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem!

Mac Pro (2017)

3 GHz Intel Xeon W

64 GB

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Just to drop down a panel take almost 1 minute. Everything is painfully slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip, on Windows, Lightroom gives the best performance in single screen mode with the Lightroom window at full screen. 

Sad to say but you folks are using old and slow video cards with old and slow processors. Also as ATI is primarily focused on the gaming market, $for$, their cards tend to be slow for photo or video editing. 

Yes, Nvidia needs some competition in this area but since the effective demise of Matrox; they are the only game in town. Maybe we could crowd fund a video card focused on photo editing, just joking of course as we'd still have to use a Nvidia chip. 

Recommendation for 4K monitors, consider a 8GB Nvidia Quadro if there are drivers for macOS. For 5K monitors, 11GB would be better. 

Lastly, each new release of Lightroom provides several performance improvements and usually at least one slowdown. For V10, we took at hit with scrolling in, mostly, the Develop module. But the balance overall is a significant improvement. On my machine (6-core Xeon, Nvidia Quadro, dual 4K monitors), the hit is very minor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my card - The Radeon Pro Vega 56 is a professional mobile graphics chip by AMD, launched in August 2017. ... AMD has paired 8 GB HBM2 memory with the Radeon Pro Vega 56, which are connected using a 2048-bit memory interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Vega 56 is on Apple's maybe list. "Metal" support is required for Lightroom to make use of the card. 

The following cards are known to be Metal-compatible: 

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Apple also lists cards that "might also be compatible" with macOS Mojave: 

AMD Radeon RX 560
AMD Radeon RX 570
AMD Radeon RX 580
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731 6GB of VRAM isn't enough to scroll some content in a window? Come on… Especially since it worked nicely in the previous version and every other application - including other Adobe ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appears that your video card is unsupported. Technological progress I guess. 

On Windows with both 4GB and now 5GB Nvidia Quadro video cards (4K monitor), scrolling was fine but has slowed down with V10 but only a little; just enough to notice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Performance tab in Lightroom's settings, it says the the GPU is fully supported. Plus, all the actual heavy lifting editing functions work quickly as expected. And actually, now that the adjustment brush is GPU accelerated, that works like a dream as well.

It really just the UI that took a hit this update. At least on a Mac, I can see something definitely changed in the way the UI is rendered but I can't put my finger on it. The font in the Develop module's drop down lists is different. Something was definitely updated but there's clearly a bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon upgrading from v9.4 to v10, certain UI actions in Lightroom have become incredibly slow.  The most noticeable is scrolling in Library Grid view.  I experienced no lag/hesitation in any of the 9.x versions, but in version 10, scrolling in Library Grid view is almost unusable (several seconds to scroll a couple of rows).  I downgraded back to v9.4 and all lag went away.  I'm running a 2016 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM with Radeon Pro 455 2GB VRAM. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to read this as I noticed this slowdown on my iMac too. (I reverted to 9.2.1 though, due to the clone/heal bugs when used at the frame edges, which were introduced in 9.3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good example of when Adobe would really appreciate a video recording of what you're seeing. Regarding the font, it seems like it was intentionally changed throughout the interface. Win 10 here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple says all IMac Pros are metal compatible

ScreenShot20201023at8.33.00AM-d2ded8dc-eda6-472f-a361-0387ddf77979-227018326.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 16" Macbook Pro, 6core, 32GB ram, 5500M 8GB, and after update to LRC V10 it is unusable! With last version it was ok, not blazing fast but 100% usable for work. Now it is working approx 5 times slower. Changing modules, copy and paste photo settings. I am also working on desktop with Ryzen 3900X, 64GB ram, RTX2070Super and after update the performance is same or maybe even little bit faster. So I updated also on my MBP and its disaster 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still requires a video card supported by Lightroom. Unfortunately Adobe has stopped listing supported video cards so for other than mid to high end Nvidia cards, it's a guessing game. The Vega 56 is a "maybe" card.

Business reality: if 1 in 10 thousand people with a computer do photo editing and maybe 1 in a thousand of them do it on a Mac with an AMD video card... You get the picture. 

Based on your experience, a change in Lightroom v10 probably pushed your card from the "maybe" category into the "unsupported" group. Adobe delivered a significant number of significant performance improvements with V10. It is likely that those improvements will be a setback for some hardware. AMD and Nvidia use significantly different APIs for communication with the card. Add in the variations from one card architecture to another within a brand and the problem becomes obvious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet here we are after spending $6000+ on computers less than 3 years old, our work is coming to a stand still. Even though Apple says they are supported and Adobe says GPU with Metal Support work. And even if they don't support, why is it slower than it was in 9.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$ for $ laptops are much slower than desktops. Nvidia cards are faster than AMD. As hardware gets pushed by software for better performance, the fast equipment gets faster and the slow equipment... Well you get the picture. 

Your MBP is great for Linux software development but for high performance photo or video editing, get a $4-6,000 gaming laptop to compete with a $2-3,000 desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill you say Adobe doesn't list compatible cards.  If I was to add an external GPU to my iMac Pro how would I find out which model would be compatible with Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same; mac mini 2020, i7, 32gb mem.

Also I see that all previews are been regenerated, which does not help either. Also opening Metadata is dead slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know $$$ laptops has similar performance like $ desktop. But this is a 4000$ notebook that could handle the software very nice till today when I updated it. If I was using some crap 500$ notebook I will understand it but this is a "pro" machine and if it cant handle 24mpx raw files there is some problem. And in my experience, the problem is in the software. Or we are now in a time where high-end machines are usable only for one year and then they are good only for youtube?! I also work in Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve and I learn something there. When you have two software that can do the same thing and one can do it a lot faster than the other on the same machine you can tell that the problem isn't in hardware but in software optimization. I am downgrading LRC and wait for Adobe to FIX this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent Nvidia Quadro and GeForce cards should be fine but there is always the issue with MacPro compatible drivers.

In your situation, I would contact Nvidia support though they are likely to recommend the latest cards. And check with Adobe support to see what they say about the problems you are having with your card. They might already be planning a fix. That would be free. 

Also measurements I've taken, reported in another thread, indicate that Lightroom is making much heavier use of the processor to provide performance improvements. All develop tools that I've tested are now instantaneous on my Windows Xeon 3.6/4.0 GHz machine with most of the improvements coming from heavier use of the processor. 

People who don't know how video cards work think that we would unconditionally benefit from Lightroom increasing its use of the video card. However for many functions, a video card is a bottle neck. This is especially true if the whole image won't fit on the card. Just take one unrealistic example, if Nvidia were to release a 32GB version of the P4000 and Lightroom were to require that card; we would see a speedup for most functions. But not all. 

Of course, the most straightforward solution for you is to switch to Windows, notice the flood of problems primarily by Mac users. Think what it is going to be like with a new version of Lightroom running on the totally new version of MacOS on a new hardware architecture. This forum is going to be buried with bug reports. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat.
Mac Pro 2010, 2x3.46GHz, 28GB RAM, 1TB Evo SSD, Radeon RX580 8GB

I've done all the usual checks and tweaks like turn off sync, address, face, turn off/on GPU acceleration, purge cache, build 1:1 previews, delete previews, then rebuild them again.
The only thing that speeds it up is if I resize the Lightroom window to less than half of my screen (4K 27") which is not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same configuration and exactly the same problems.  Tried all the usual tricks.   Applying presets in bulk, which took 10-20secs in 9.4 now takes 10-20 _minutes_, and then Lr insists on rewriting all XMP data.  Also, Delete Key no longer removes a gradient, and when removing using menu, the animation is gone.  Seems to be some other weird UI things happening, its quite disconcerting.

I can't recall ever having performance issues with Lr before....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lewis_kemper 

I didn't read your question correctly, my mistake. I don't believe that Lightroom will work with an external GPU. Saw that posted somewhere but don't remember where it was. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone having these problems on a Windows machine? If this is strictly macOS, that will help the Lightroom developers isolate the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After years of complaining about how slow LR Classic is, the latest 2021 update brought me great joy... at least for the first two sessions I was using it. It was flat out peppy! Images were opening fast, going through the pick process was moving at a rapid clip. 

Then today, the third session I'm using LR Classic 2021, it's BOGGED down slow. Slower than 2020 previously. I restarted the computer, left all other apps closed, and same speed behaviors. 

I am running the latest MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and have made no OS or software updates after updating LR Classic to 2021 version. 

I'm running on a 2019 MacBook Pro laptop with no other issues of any kind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my Lr System info: 

Lightroom Classic version: 10.0 [ 202010011851-ef6045e0 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H2]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.4 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,618.7 MB (7.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 32,387.7 MB
Memory cache size: 2,251.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.0 [ 610 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1564MB / 16383MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1632MB / 32768MB (4%)
Displays: 1) 6016x3384

Graphics Processor Info: 
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/a_Lightroom/Master_Lightroom_Catalog/Master_Lightroom_Catalog-2 2-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins: 
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Nikon Tether Plugin
6) Smart Shooter 4

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512
AudioDeviceName: $$$/dvaaudiodevice/SystemDefaultAndEffectiveDeviceName=System Default (MacBook Pro Speakers)#{comment}DVAAU-4201250: Open the audio hardware preferences page.
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000
Build: LR5x42
CoreImage: true
GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0
GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0
GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8
GL_BLUE_BITS: 8
GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24
GL_GREEN_BITS: 8
GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384
GL_RED_BITS: 8
GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M OpenGL Engine
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20
GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_VERSION: 2.1 ATI-3.10.18
OGLEnabled: true
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod 

Votes

Translate

Translate