• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unintended Deletion of Photos

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the following case, a photo is permanently deleted from disk unintendedly:1. In the Library view, right click on a photo and select "Remove Photo"2. In the following Pop-Up "Confirm" select "Delete from disk"3. Abort the following Pop-Up "Delete Permanently" by pressing ESC=> The photo is falsely deleted from diskReproduced with Lightroom 5.5, Windows 7, 64 Bit

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Updating Status

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017
This issue was fixed in Lightroom Classic (6.13 or later)

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot duplicate this.

In your Step Three you mention a Pop-Up that I never see. Is this a Lightroom dialog The only Confirmation Popup I see is in Step Two. Either I am misinterpreting your instructions or we are seeing two completely different behaviors.

In any case the images are not permanently deleted but rather end up in Recycling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pop-Up "Delete Permanently?" only appears if the file cannot be moved to the Recycle Bin because the volume on which the photos are stored does not support the Recycle Bin. The dialog exactly says:
"1 of these files could not be moved to the Recycle Bin." and "The files are on a volume that does not support the Recycle Bin. Would you like to permanently delete them?". Two buttons are offered: "Cancel" and "Permanently Delete Files". If I press ESC in this dialog, the file is deleted (and of course is not moved to the recycle bin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help to show a screenshot - I'm not seeing the second "popup" either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my opinion but I don't see a bug here. If you hit permanently delete, it does, if you hit cancel it doesn't. You chose to do something else.

The way I see it, you specifically told Lightroom:

1. Delete This
2. Yes, Delete this - don't just remove from catalog
3. Then when it asks you a third time, you don't take the offered cancel button but rather hope an Esc will bail you out.

But, as I have never included in a Lightroom catalog a file which is on a drive that doesn't support a Recycling processing, I cannot verify the behavior but it doesn't surprise me.

A more accurate title of your thread would be "Pressing Esc in Delete Dialog for Drives without Recycling bin causes Delete" Hopefully an engineer will chime in here but I am not hopefully it will be considered a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already mentioned in my previous post, the dialog only appears if the volume does not support a recycle bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it - thanks.

Indeed the true "Cancel" button is "Permanently Delete Files", which is the same as clicking the red 'X', or pressing escape.

But note: this dialog should NOT come up when you choose "Remove from catalog..", but rather when you choose "Delete from disk..", and then only if it can't be put in the "Recycle Bin".

Although I think it was done intentionally by the programmer (you have to go out of your way to reverse the sense of those buttons like that), from a user perspective, I'm inclined to agree that it could (should) be considered a bug - I suspect the programmer wasn't thinking about the users who use escape key or red 'X' to dismiss..

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your comments! In my opinion, pressing "permanently delete files" should be the only possible way to delete the file irrecoverably. No one would expect the file being lost forever when pressing ESC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the way the dialog is constructed the [Cancel] button has focus meaning the [Enter] key would apply "Cancel" not the [Esc] To delete permanently, you would have to [Tab] to [Delete Permanently] and then hit [Enter]

If memory serves in Windows standards, [Esc] cancels the dialog unless cancel is the default (or focused) behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I understand why it was done how it was done, I have to admit Markus has a completely valid point..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, my girlfriend is a professional photographer and I am a senior software developer with strong UX background. We store all our data on a NAS. Our current PC and infrastructure environment setup using Windows for the workstations doesn't support recycle bin functionality on NAS network drives.
Yesterday my GF accidentally ran into this issue described here. She accidentally marked all photos instead of the one she wanted to delete and came to that second confirmation screen. As she realized she marked all photos instead of the one she wanted to remove, she used the mouse pointer to press the "X" (close window button in the top right corner) of that confirmation window - which technically is the same as pressing ESC. This permanently deleted all 185 RAW photos - a whole shooting gone.
Now I am with Markus and say: every UX designer claims ESC to cancel an action, regardless how the button implementation logic works in that window! If the button implementation says otherwise, the buttons need to be swapped.
A good UX design is always centered around the user and his experience with the product, and it does explicitly not care about technical details.
Fortunately my girlfriend has a nerd by her side who was able to rescue most of the RAW images from the SD cards she used during the shooting 😉 In other cases this issue might have fatal results, though.
Honestly I am rather shocked this is still an issue three years after it came up here. Please take this feedback seriously, file a defect for this and change the dialog behavior in one of the next Software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe that this safety-relevant problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was fixed in Lightroom Classic (6.13 or later)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes